Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Blocking the fallopian tubes to prevent ectopic pregnancy

Hi Dr P,

I was reading a very old article on IVF where they discussed blocking the fallopian tubes to prevent ectopic pregnancy. I just wondered whether this was ever done anymore?

Also, do you think it would help to rest sitting up slightly rather than lay completely flat during bed rest, in order to help prevent the embryo travelling up the fallopian tubes?

Thanks,

CT

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by CrystalTipps View Post
    Hi Dr P,

I was reading a very old article on IVF where they discussed blocking the fallopian tubes to prevent ectopic pregnancy. I just wondered whether this was ever done anymore?

Also, do you think it would help to rest sitting up slightly rather than lay completely flat during bed rest, in order to help prevent the embryo travelling up the fallopian tubes?

Thanks,

CT
    Ectopic pregnancy after IVF occurs in about 1-2% of pregnancies worldwide. Embryos implant in the tube when they are propelled there by uterine contractions after the embryo transfer. The embryo either enters the tube at the stage at which implantation is eminent and the tube does not have time to expel it or it enters the tube and the tube is unable to expel it because of tubal damage. Position does not have any impact on ectopic at all. I hope that this helps.
    Daniel A. Potter, MD
    Medical Director, HRC Fertility Newport Beach, California
    Laboratory Director, Natera (formerly Gene Security Network)
    http://www.amazon.com/What-When-You-...keywords=hanin
    http://www.danielapottermd.com
    @ivfgenderselect

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh, I didn't think about the embryo being propelled by uterine contractions. Thanks - that's really helpful!