Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

IVF and incidence of abnormal embryos?

Hi Dr Potter

I know this is a difficult question to answer given as we don't know how many embryos would be "abnormal" under traditional baby making ways.

But do you think there is a higher incidence of abnormal embryos with doing IVF?

Or do you think it can be attributed more generally to the age/fertility of people undergoing IVF?

I guess I am a little concerned from reading stories where there have been a high number of abnormal embryos, combined with those that are not the desired gender leading to a non transfer. I am just worried that this could be us, and that the one cycle could end up being more like two or three.

I should add that neither my partner have undergone any prenatal testing as yet, we are totally new to this whole gender issue.

I should also add that our only son has a chromosomal abnormality and we have had a prior miscarriage. I am 33 and my husband is 35.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Following
    DD1 DD2 DD3

HT August 2014

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by snoop View Post
    Hi Dr Potter

I know this is a difficult question to answer given as we don't know how many embryos would be "abnormal" under traditional baby making ways.

But do you think there is a higher incidence of abnormal embryos with doing IVF?

Or do you think it can be attributed more generally to the age/fertility of people undergoing IVF?

I guess I am a little concerned from reading stories where there have been a high number of abnormal embryos, combined with those that are not the desired gender leading to a non transfer. I am just worried that this could be us, and that the one cycle could end up being more like two or three.

I should add that neither my partner have undergone any prenatal testing as yet, we are totally new to this whole gender issue.

I should also add that our only son has a chromosomal abnormality and we have had a prior miscarriage. I am 33 and my husband is 35.
    We are in the process of analyzing more than 10,000 embryo biopsy results and will be able to define the incidence of aneuploidy for a given set of male/female ages. We are hoping to present this data at the ESHRE conference next summer. There are certain rare conditions, primarily translocation and recurrent nondisjunction, that can cause a couple to have repeatedly high rates of aneuploidy. From a preliminary look at our data it seems that age of the female partner is the main contributing factor to this. We are unable to know for sure whether the embryos created with IVF have a higher rate of aneuploidy than those created naturally but my gut is that this is not a major factor. High natural rates of aneuploidy likely are the reason the conception rate in fertile couples is only 20-30% per month. Even very young fertile couples with well timed intercourse have conception rates less than 50% per month. I doubt that failure to achieve fertilization could account for this. Abnormal embryos usually do not implant and when they do, they likely fail so soon after implantation that pregnancy is not detected.
    Daniel A. Potter, MD
    Medical Director, HRC Fertility Newport Beach, California
    Laboratory Director, Natera (formerly Gene Security Network)
    http://www.amazon.com/What-When-You-...keywords=hanin
    http://www.danielapottermd.com
    @ivfgenderselect

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    What causes a high abnormality on the male side? We cycled with you and had 5 out of 8 normal for me (62.5% at age 30). But, there were only 2 normal on my hubby's side. He had only 25% normal and he is 32. He was tested for a translocation and it came back normal. We conceived both boys first month trying when I was 21 and 26.

My hubby was on Cyvita. Could it be because he is a social drinker? Or his diet? Or because he runs a construction business and is around chemicals? Or, do you think it was just odd luck and that this likely wouldn't happen in another cycle? What could he change to prevent this from happening again?
    DW (33), DH (35) to ODS (11) and YDS (6) and (2016). Hoped to add a little in 2014/2015, but it appears it is going to take way longer than expected.

Cycle 1 - May 2013 - HRC - retrieval - Feb 2014 FET Planned Transfer - early blast resulted in a chemical (Chemical #1).
    Cycle 2 - May 2014 - HRC - No Normal XX embryos - No Transfer
    Cycle 3 - October 2014 - HRC - Retrieval and Unplanned FET in December 2014 - Normal XX resulted in another chemical (Chemical #2).

January 2015 Immune Testing with Dr Braverman - He suspects mild endometriosis is my issue and wants me to have a lap.
    April 2015 lap surgery scheduled with renowned endometriosis surgeon. Stage 2 endometriosis found and excised!

FET #3 - June 2015 - HRC - On Dr Braverman Immune Treatment (Lovenox, Prednisone, Intralipids, and Femara) My last xx embryo didn't survive the thaw (transferred backup donor embryo) - Chemical #3

June 2015 - Sign up with adoption agencies as current plan (IVF does not seem to work for me).

July 2015 - Receive 2 beautiful xx donor embryos! Decided to hire a proven surrogate to transfer to so I can end my quest for baby girl.

September 2015 - First Natural Attempt without protection in 6 years = BFP 7dpo Beta 13 dpo 221, Beta 15 dpo 653, Seen at 6 and 8 Weeks! Panorama Test reveals bubs is another so transfer with surrogate/adoption is still on! Ask Braverman why this is happening and now he says we must have "gender dreamer issue" and not immune issues?!

Received calls about baby girls for Adoption in November 2015, May 2016, and August 2016 - All had to turn down because of planned surrogacy transfers.

January 2016 - FET #1 with proven surrogate - BFP 4dpt, Beta 12dpt 601, Beta 14 dpt 1,342, Beta 18dpt 734... CHEMICAL #4

May 2016 - Baby Boy arrives healthy at 39 weeks (planned c section) - 8.5 lbs! I love love love this baby boy. He is such a blessing and a rainbow to me!

July 2016 - FET #2 with proven surrogate and last donor embryo - BFP 3.5dpt! Beta 11dpt 374, Beta 13dpt 828, Beta 15dpt 1,689, Beta 18dpt 4,925! Seen at 6 weeks, 8 weeks, 10 weeks, and 12 weeks. Went for Gender Scan at 16 weeks and it shows baby passed away at 15 weeks.

I JUST DON'T GET IT. HOW DOES THIS HAPPEN?? SO SAD.

Moving onto Adoption - I need to believe in a Real Live Baby and not a theory of a baby!

UPDATE!! We have our new daughter through adoption March 2017!! We are in love and our family is complete!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by snoop View Post
    Hi Dr Potter

I would say under 30=50%; 30-34=65%;35=70%; 36-37=75%; 38=80%; 39=85%; 40+=90%
    Daniel A. Potter, MD
    Medical Director, HRC Fertility Newport Beach, California
    Laboratory Director, Natera (formerly Gene Security Network)
    http://www.amazon.com/What-When-You-...keywords=hanin
    http://www.danielapottermd.com
    @ivfgenderselect

Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Is there any point in trying at age 41?

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Keshet View Post
    Is there any point in trying at age 41?
    We have a current member(42) pregnant with her own eggs. It took a few attempts.
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

Become a Dream Member to access the private forums

Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    How many attempts? Where did she cycle?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    In a natural cycle, of the abnormal embryos that are not weeded out early, but go on to implant, what percent are later found to be aneuploid after CVS or amino testing? For an over 40 year old woman.

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Keshet View Post
    In a natural cycle, of the abnormal embryos that are not weeded out early, but go on to implant, what percent are later found to be aneuploid after CVS or amino testing? For an over 40 year old woman.
    Not many, most are lost in early pregnancy. good article here Later Age Pregnancy | University of Maryland Medical Center

Several of us have conceived natural pregnancies with no issues over 40.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast