Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dr. H and Dr. Potter, any advice for sperm count under 2 million? SA results in.

And I'm not a HT patient. Is our chance of conceiving naturally nill? As I look online, it seems that IVF with ICSI is the route for couples our age with this kind of numbers. However, I've had 2 miscarriages, so wondering what you think.

Also, my husband has been on a slew of supplements for well over 6 months now, including CoQ10, L-Cartinine, L-Arginine, Zinc, a prenatal with DHA, and extra vitamin E and D.

Any advice is greatly appreciated......thank you!
    (2002) (2005) from 1st marriage. TTC since Aug 2010- Dx: low sperm count and 1% normal sperm. We are giving up and moving on with a baby-free life.
    UPDATE: surprise bfp in Feb 2013! It's a BOY!

NEVER GIVE UP HOPE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by LolaInLove View Post
    And I'm not a HT patient. Is our chance of conceiving naturally nill? As I look online, it seems that IVF with ICSI is the route for couples our age with this kind of numbers. However, I've had 2 miscarriages, so wondering what you think.

Also, my husband has been on a slew of supplements for well over 6 months now, including CoQ10, L-Cartinine, L-Arginine, Zinc, a prenatal with DHA, and extra vitamin E and D.

Any advice is greatly appreciated......thank you!
    Sorry did not see this until now. With a sperm count of less than 2 million, the pregnancy rate depends of the other parameters (motility, morphology) as well as the history. Most likely without IVF it is going to be <2% per month and probably <1% per month. I would recommend IVF. Regarding the supplements, I would have him stay on them until you complete your family as they may help slow the decline or check to underlying cause of the low count. I hope that this helps.
    Daniel A. Potter, MD
    Medical Director, HRC Fertility Newport Beach, California
    Laboratory Director, Natera (formerly Gene Security Network)
    http://www.amazon.com/What-When-You-...keywords=hanin
    http://www.danielapottermd.com
    @ivfgenderselect

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Potter View Post
    Sorry did not see this until now. With a sperm count of less than 2 million, the pregnancy rate depends of the other parameters (motility, morphology) as well as the history. Most likely without IVF it is going to be <2% per month and probably <1% per month. I would recommend IVF. Regarding the supplements, I would have him stay on them until you complete your family as they may help slow the decline or check to underlying cause of the low count. I hope that this helps.
    Hi There

Dr Potter is correct in his advice and IVF will provide the optimum results.

In saying that though, I have helped couples achieve pregnancy with similar issues without IVF but it may be the solution in the end.

If you are prepared to try some natural techniques you could achieve success I have seen counts etc. change dramatically.

The following is worth a go:
    1. Vitamins/Herbs to include as well as what he is on is Panax Ginseng, Siberian Ginseng, Selenium and Fenugreek, Lypocence, Vitamin C, Green Super foods - such as Chlorella, Spirulina and Kelp (these are important) - I have also encouraged males to use a Liver Tonic
    2. Although, this can be difficult, the more he ejaculates the better, the patients I have treated I have asked them to ejaculate everyday for a month. Either self stimulation or intercourse. If everyday, is too difficult at least every second day.
    2. Always use Pre-seed
    3. The Scrotum being slowly massaged everyday - can explain in more detail if wanted.
    3. Acupuncture can be great! but make sure they are qualified.
    4. No Alcohol. Cigarette smoke and a healthy living.
    5, Plenty of water
    6 Reversatol - excellent

I hope this helps and I am happy to assist more as there are a few other things, but I find male patients struggle with the protocol which I make them do for at least two months and then do a follow up SA and them I review treatment as there is some higher level protocols.

Big Hugs Dr H
    Last edited by Babydoctor; October 9th, 2011 at 06:20 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you, Doctors, I appreciate your responses. He began taking the Naturally Smart vitamins right away. His morphology was 18% and the motility just said "normal" on the report. He has gotten me pregnant before, although as I mentioned, one was a chemical and another a blighted ovum. He also took DHEA for the months before the last pregnancy.

He is a ballet dancer, and must wear a lot of restrictive clothing with that, although he only wears boxers and loose clothing when not dancing. I'm just curious if sperm counts can vary, or what may be the case there.

Dr. H- thank you for the recommendations. We will try naturally for a while before we bite the bullet and go to IVF. As we are artists, it won't be the easiest thing in the world to afford, but it may be worth it after another year of no luck. Would you mind explaining this scrotal massage in more detail?
    (2002) (2005) from 1st marriage. TTC since Aug 2010- Dx: low sperm count and 1% normal sperm. We are giving up and moving on with a baby-free life.

NEVER GIVE UP HOPE!

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi Lolanlove

Things can improve and change when it come s to sperm production.

I just want to give you some hope. I just found out one of my male patients about 10 minutes ago ( I have been sick so still not at work) so just got the news. He was diagnosed with Testicular Cancer about 5 years. We did a SA on him about 8 months ago and there was almost nil wigglers. This couple had been trying for a long time and did not want to do IVF and could not afford it. He followed the protocol of everyday ejaculating, vitamins/herbs and we included the massage. Well a two months into the protocol we tested again and yes it had increased a little. He continued and a month later and guess what it had improved again. Well the news I got just now is that she is now 10 weeks pregnant with TWINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND EVERYTHING LOOKS GREAT! In some cases IVF is the only solution no doubt for a variety reasons.

Do not give up and I will help you along the way, who knows if you do not give it a go. Reproduction is a mystery really.

Big Hugs Dr H xx

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Babydoctor View Post
    Hi Lolanlove

Things can improve and change when it come s to sperm production.

I just want to give you some hope. I just found out one of my male patients about 10 minutes ago ( I have been sick so still not at work) so just got the news. He was diagnosed with Testicular Cancer about 5 years. We did a SA on him about 8 months ago and there was almost nil wigglers. This couple had been trying for a long time and did not want to do IVF and could not afford it. He followed the protocol of everyday ejaculating, vitamins/herbs and we included the massage. Well a two months into the protocol we tested again and yes it had increased a little. He continued and a month later and guess what it had improved again. Well the news I got just now is that she is now 10 weeks pregnant with TWINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND EVERYTHING LOOKS GREAT! In some cases IVF is the only solution no doubt for a variety reasons.

Do not give up and I will help you along the way, who knows if you do not give it a go. Reproduction is a mystery really.

Big Hugs Dr H xx
    Oh WOW, thanks for sharing that story, how wonderful for that couple! I hope the DH is doing ok with the cancer as well!

I am glad to hear this, because we really can't afford IVF either. I have 2 children from my previous marriage, and if we didn't have one of our own, it wouldn't be the end of the world, but we'd really like to see if we can do it naturally first. We are just going to wait and see if our mentality changes after a year or so of trying with no luck. We may decide to use donor sperm before doing IVF.

Well, I shared your thoughts with DH and he is very excited about seeing if he can change his "stars" with a good protocol of healthier foods (which he is pretty good already) and some excellent green supplements in addition to his Naturally Smart vitamins. I am assuming we should expect a few months of this and nothing to happen sooner, but I am really hopeful that we will have a miracle as well.

I would love to know more about the massage....thank you so much for this information and helping me out! Glad you are feeling better as well...what a doozy of a sickness! xxoo

NEVER GIVE UP HOPE!

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi There

Let's try and change the stars.

I will try and explain the massage as best as I can. I am still not at work yet as I feeling still so washed out!!! When I go back to work we have diagrams that are much better.

Okay here goes.....

1. Cup the Scrotum with both hands and push upwards very gently for a few minutes
    2. Let go of Scrotum and very gently squeeze the Scrotum - almost like a stress ball if you know what I mean you just squeeze and press - do this one minute
    3. Again follow step one.

Start this regime first and depending how it goes, I will put you onto step two.

Big Hugs Dr H xx

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi There

Let's try and change the stars.

I will try and explain the massage as best as I can. I am still not at work yet as I feeling still so washed out!!! When I go back to work we have diagrams that are much better.

Okay here goes.....

1. Cup the Scrotum with both hands and push upwards very gently for a few minutes
    2. Let go of Scrotum and very gently squeeze the Scrotum - almost like a stress ball if you know what I mean you just squeeze and press - do this one minute
    3. Again follow step one.

Start this regime first and depending how it goes, I will put you onto step two.

Big Hugs Dr H xx

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Awesome, thanks Dr. H! He will be excited to try this, no doubt! (;

NEVER GIVE UP HOPE!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey Lola I just read this and it sound awesome. I really hope it will work for you and DH!!! GL!
    +1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast