Big Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cold weather outings

Living in Poland we get stupidly cold weather, Bubba is suppose to be born in August, the weather can start to get cooler fast towards October. November through till February can get as cold as -25oC.. In the day time it can warm up a little to -10 - -15oC..
    Does anyone have any advice on what is OK to take the baby out in?
    I've read online - The fresh air is good, much better than being in the house with the heating on. but what is TOO cold?

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I live in a terrible horrible cold weather climate. I hate the cold. I like just one season and that is warm season. Temperatures in the lower to mid 20s C (that would be the 70s F) are my type of perfect weather temperatures.

Anyway, if you would not be going out for a long stroll or to play at the park in the winter, neither should the baby. There is no reason to take a baby out "for fresh air." Babies have a hard time regulating their temperature so if you have to go out, they should be wearing hats and bundled quite a bit. Otherwise, it is not necessary to take a baby out for a walk just for the fun of it.

We open the windows twice a week here in the winter for 10-15 minutes each time to get fresh air in the house, but we don't go out if we don't have to. Cold weather is all business, no play for us.

When I had an infant, we lived in an urban area where we had to do a lot of walking and when he was small enough to wear in an infant carrier, I had him in long clothes, a cold weather suit, a hat, mittens, a blanket wrapped around the lower half of the carrier and his entire legs, a light cloth over the upper half, and then a special made carrier warmer that was kind of like a cocoon that went over most of the carrier and legs.

When he was bigger, I still kept him in all of those bundles (minus the carrier and carrier warmer) but had a very thick plastic cover that fit over the stroller and blocked almost all of the wind. The plastic had holes in parts of it so it still allowed fresh air in and out. It worked very well for us.
    03 08

03-06-12

Diagnosed with PCOS in 2009