Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Did you tear during your baby's birth?

Just wondering what everyone's experiences were? How long did it take for you to heal, how bad was the tear, etc.?

With my first three babies, I had either no tearing at all or a micro tear that the doctor called a "skid mark" that barely required a stitch or two. Those tears were also inside my vajayjay and I never felt the stitches or any pain at all. I wouldn't have even known about them if the doctor hadn't mentioned it.

This time, my baby was a pound and an inch bigger than my previous 3 babies (he was 8lb 6oz) and I guess my body couldn't stretch enough to let him through. I got a tear in the spot where the doctor would do an episiotomy (he obviously didn't do one, which is fine, I have heard tears heal easier?). I don't know the degree of the tear (no one told me) and when I asked how many stitches I was getting, he told me he put in a running stitch.

I am 2.5 weeks past delivery now, and it still hurts when I try to wipe after using the toilet, and hurts when I touch that area, but it doesn't hurt the rest of the time.

Just wondering how long it takes this area to heal? Is sex going to be painful?
    2004 2006 2010 2012

My BOY sway worked!! THANK YOU GENDER DREAMING!!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I had really really bad tear with ds2 (ds1 episiotomy, ds3 tears at top and bottom but nothing major) its that bad i still remember how painful it was and that was 4+ years ago. I couldn't even sit up til after i was stitched it was so painful and i cried with the pain of the stitches (was sooooo much worse than giving birth). It was sore for ages after, i had to sit really carefully even with cushions and the big maternity pads it hurt. I remember being worried about dtd but it was probably about 8 weeks after we tried and it was fine (no different to after any of the others anyway) i just really worried it would hurt.

My mom told me to put savalon in my bath and that really helped it all heal but it was a bad tear (she they had to stitch the inside of me then the outer bit of the inner, then the outer parts took her ages). Midwife also told me not to wipe after going to loo just dab if you can saves putting stress on the stitches. Also keep an eye on how it looks, mine went slightly puffy as the stitches were a little tight so i had to have them cut in one place
    Me, DH, the three musketers:

DS1

DS2

DS3

And our little princess

By the grace of god our precious little girl joined our family, hoping and praying for many happy years together

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh Mrs. P, that sounds painful! When did they cut your stitches for being too tight? I haven't looked at mine, just felt them. Maybe I should get out the mirror.
    2004 2006 2010 2012

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I had an episiotomy with my first and I swear the pain lasted for a month, I could barely sit. Every time I went to the bathroom I used the water bottle the hospital gave me and put hot water in it and used the numbing spray which helped alot. I didn't even attempt to have sex until it didn't hurt anymore when I touched the area .

2007 2008 2012

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Episiotomys are the absolute worst!! I thought the recovery from that was worse than my c-section for sure. I think I would rather tear. I am going to do everything in my power to prevent the need for one and to prevent tearing.
    DS 1 2008
    DS 2 2010
    DS 3 2013

May 2014 at 5 weeks

August 2014 at 12 weeks

DD1 our beautiful rainbow baby joined us october 2015. No sway...just miracles.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I had an episiotomy too, it took about 2 weeks before i could sit down without my pool ring, and sex at 6 weeks was really tender, everything back to normal about 2 months after birth.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Did you ladies have your epis. down the middle or to one of the sides??
    DS 1 2008
    DS 2 2010
    DS 3 2013

May 2014 at 5 weeks

August 2014 at 12 weeks

DD1 our beautiful rainbow baby joined us october 2015. No sway...just miracles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosie85 View Post
    Did you ladies have your epis. down the middle or to one of the sides??
    mine was all the way down the middle

2007 2008 2012

Big Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    With ds1 (who was also 8lbs 6oz, by the way, but not my biggest boy), I had a epi (which I DID NOT want but the dr. did away....grrr....) and also tore. It was a 4th degree tear. It was really horrible. I remember telling my dh a few days later I didn't even feel like that is my body down there, it felt so puffy. Anyway, the hospital gave me a sitz bath that I used on the toilet with hot water, and I also used a spray pain reliever - I think it's called Lanacaine. It took awhile to heal - probably about 4 or 5 weeks. The good news is, I went on to have no epi and no tear with ds2 (8lbs 1oz) and only a minor tear with ds3, who was my biggest at 8lbs 13oz. I don't think you are planning on more kids, but if you do happen to have more, you are not sentenced to tear again just because you did before!
    2004 2007 2010

It's a boy! Due 7/8/2013

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Glad I never had the episiotomy--sounds awful! I don't think they routinely do them around here anymore. At least no one I know has had one.
    2004 2006 2010 2012

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast