Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Honey/ botulism in infants

Stupidly, I made myself some chai, and without thinking, I gave my baby a pacifier before I washed my hands. The chai was powdered (in a packet, just add hot water, like hot chocolate), so I don't know how much honey I would have had on my fingers, but I am totally worried that the baby may have gotten some from his pacifier. Honey ca have botulism, in case anyone didn't already know, and babies shouldn't have it before they turn 1.

Has anyone else had a similar thing happen? Was the baby okay?
    2004 2006 2010 2012

My BOY sway worked!! THANK YOU GENDER DREAMING!!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh hunny i'm sure he'll be fine, even if you did have some on your hands it would have been a minimal amount and the amount of hunny in that minimal amount would have been a trace at best but if you worried mention it to your doctor in the morning x
    Me, DH, the three musketers:

DS1

DS2

DS3

And our little princess

By the grace of god our precious little girl joined our family, hoping and praying for many happy years together

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm thinking the same thing as Mrs_P I would think a trace amount should do nothing.
    Age 7 5 MC May 2012 BFP June 2012 My ~*Princess*~ is now 3 yrs old! MC May 2015 Chemical June 2015
    DS#3 Arrived in April
    I love my Rainbow Baby with all my , She took a year to conceive! Thank you GD!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I did a google search as well and although it sounds scarying the sites say it is VERY rare even in babies that are fed hunny directly its one of those things they know poses a risk and it can eliminated by a blanket ban

DS1

DS2

DS3

And our little princess

By the grace of god our precious little girl joined our family, hoping and praying for many happy years together

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the replies. I know I am paranoid, but I just worry so much! I hate the thought that I could have screwed up a perfectly good baby.
    2004 2006 2010 2012

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Your fine - i am the most paranoid mom ever i freak about all sorts of things - but really i don't think you have anything to worry about but keep an eye on him, it sounds scary but i did do a fair of reading when you posted it and it sounds like IF something is wrong you get a lot of symptoms first - mostly nappy related so if you notice him constipated or in pain when doing a poo take him to the docs and get him checked just in case but it does say even if the worst comes to the worst and he gets it 99% of all babies are treated and are fine - no long term effects so just keep an close eye on him for your own piece of mind and if you are worried mention it to your doc.

But i really don't think he'd have ingested much if any and back when i was little parents used to feed their babies hunny quite often and until recently its been in cough medicines that you could give to under ones so the risks are really small.

It's you i'd be more worried about than him - you sound like you'll be going mad with worry x

DS1

DS2

DS3

And our little princess

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My friend was giving her daughter honey on toast before she turned 1, i said Ummm i think your not supposed to give honey! and she had no idea, her daughter is fine.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I always thought it was just straight honey from the jar that could cause problems. I think it would be so processed by the time it's in a powdered form that nothing should be able to happen from it.
    Love My 4

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think the issue is only with unpasteurized honey...
    Sept 2008 & successful boy sway June 2010.
    M/C Oct 2012

Is DE in my future?

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sorry, I didn't update this thread. I emailed the Chai company, and they said that dried honey doesn't have botulism spores--just raw honey. Thanks everyone for the replies!
    2004 2006 2010 2012