Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm worried about my baby.

He is 6 weeks old, and he does some weird things. I am worried that he could be autistic or something. I know it is too early to diagnose him with something like that, but I am just worried.

He doesn't make eye contact very much, and in the past few days, he has started to prefer sitting on his own rather than being held and cuddled. He will sit in his bouncy chair, or lay in his bed, and be totally content for a while, but if I try to hold him and cuddle him, he gets fussy. He will sleep in my arms, and nurses fine, but when he is awake, he seems to like sitting by himself for the most part.

Has anyone had a baby that did these things? Did they turn out okay?
    Last edited by Hobbermittens; November 15th, 2012 at 03:35 PM.
    2004 2006 2010 2012

My BOY sway worked!! THANK YOU GENDER DREAMING!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Not exactly this...but my DD used to flail her arms and screech in her sleep, I mean really flail and wiggle herself out of her swaddling and just make this kind of low, squeally noise. and you couldn't calm her, even if you picked her and cuddled her. The first time at 5 weeks I thought she was just having a bad dream, but then it went on 2 or 3 times a day. I took her to the doc convinced that she had some sort of horrid nervous system disease, but at 12 weeks it just went away. Seriously, just stopped one day.

I suggest you go see your doc if it's really stressing you out, but I bet it's just one of those baby things that will pass. HUGS...
    Sept 2008 & successful boy sway June 2010.
    M/C Oct 2012

Is DE in my future?

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    A friend's baby used to get really agitated and scream when he was picked up, and it turned out he had a broken collar bone which happened during labour. He's absolutely fine now! If you're worried, take him to the doctors.
    since 2005 2008 2010.

When our dream became a nightmare
    http://www.20-week-countdown.blogspot.com

Failed sway due April 2014

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbermittens View Post
    I know it is too early to diagnose him with something like that, but I am just worried.
    Absolutely, it's way too early.
    At 6 weeks it would be weird if he could make eye contact, my daughter started to make eye contact recently, and she is 2.5 months old. And she doesn't do it on her own, I have to "chase" her view and her concentration lasts about 3 seconds

I would be grateful if my baby would like to sit on her own for a while, I have to carry her around like all day and half of the night.

My point is: don't worry Hobbi, kids are different, I'm sure he is 150% perfectly healthy. At 6 weeks the most important thing is that he nurses and sleeps well

One thing I've noticed from posts on GD is that obviously your doctors have more strict criteria when it comes to autism. I've read some posts with description of "autistic" children, and let me tell you, here they wouldn't be diagnosed with autism. I'm not saying that's good thing, just something I've noticed.
    m/c 2001
    2012 failed sway
    2014 my surprise baby

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think its far too early to think about things like autism. My son has mild autism but sever dyspraxia and from about 4 months was when we noticed things - he was late with all mile stones, never rolled, walked at 26 months etc he also refused to "play" he never pushed a car around like my other 10 month olds he used to wear a bucket on his head and sit on his own laying bricks out, if you sat with him to play even at 1-2 years old he would turn his back on you or refuse to play - he would sit happily for hours on his own though with his building blocks and buckets and any shiny household items - He is now 8 and we are still trying to get his statement and they refer to him as having autistic traits not being autistic - they really do not like to label children now a days.
    Anyway i went off a tangent then but honestly i dont think u need to be worried like someon else said so long as he is nursing and sleeping thats all good but yes speak to the health visitor if your worried though
    Mummy to 3 gorgeous Boys and FINALLY our baby Girl
    Owen 2004
    Ellis 2006
    Liam 2009
    D Amy 2013

M/C Oct 2012 after 4 months trying

BFP again !! - Nov 2012 - Confirmed Twins at 6+5 then my dreams were crushed at 8+ weeks when one of our twins sadly died.

THANK YOU TO GENDER DREAMING FOR HELPING MAKE OUR DREAMS COME TRUE

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    i have a son with special needs, it started in infancy but not that little, even looking back earliest signs were 6 months. Some baby's are not as cuddly as others, my ds3 was like that but he used to get hot really easily - unnaturally so and like his space as a result of that, his temp changed at about 3 months and he is the cuddliest one of the lot now whenever he is sleepy he loves to cuddle up and stroke your ear.

Can't remember what age eye contact started but i think he's a little too young, to start with they can't see very far and look through things rather than at things
    Me, DH, the three musketers:

DS1

DS2

DS3

And our little princess

By the grace of god our precious little girl joined our family, hoping and praying for many happy years together

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If you are worried, go see his doctor. I'd be more worried about an injury than autism.
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

Become a Dream Member to access the private forums

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Im sure its nothing to worry about, maybe he is just more comfortable in the bed/chair maybe he is unsure about motion or heat? DD was happy to be put anywhere i never thought it was weird, and the eye contact thing im sure is normal, they dont have very good eyesight at that young age.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My oldest has autism (moderate social and cognitive deficits). Honestly, I couldn't tell a difference between him and DS2 that early. We didn't start suspecting something was wrong until he was almost 2 years old (his speech was very delayed - he ended up not talking until he was 8) Of course, this was back in the late 90's and it wasn't as common back then - not really top of mind. I often wonder if I would have noticed symptoms sooner if I had known what to look for...

I think it's definitely too early, but if you are worried, keep an eye on it and ask your pediatrician. Early intervention is best, so it's always good to be aware of what to look for. Here's a good website that will help: Learn the Signs of Autism | What is Autism? | Autism Speaks

Good luck, and don't worry too much! I'm sure that your little one is just fine.
    Supermom to DS1 (1996) & DS2 (2009) & DS3 (2013) & my HT beauty DD4 (2015)
    -=-=-
    • Failed sway attempt in 2012... read my girl sway
    • HT cycle #1 HRC June 2014: 13 eggs, 12 mature, 12 fertilized, 9 biopsied, 5 normals (3XX/2XY) - transferred 1XX HEB AB... 4dp6dt BFP!!! HB 125bpm seen 6w3d
    • FET cycle #1 HRC Dec 2016: PUPO with DD5!! BFP POAS 4dp6dt!!! 1XX HB AA <3 <3 <3

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sent you a private message but the ladies are right! I am sure there is nothing wrong. Just keep tabs and if you are still super worried a trip to the doctor won't hurt. Maybe you got lucky and he is just a really really good baby! Content and happy as a clam.
    DS 1 2008
    DS 2 2010
    DS 3 2013

May 2014 at 5 weeks

August 2014 at 12 weeks

DD1 our beautiful rainbow baby joined us october 2015. No sway...just miracles.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast