Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Help me with baby carriers please

I'm debating on what sort of baby carrier to get and could really do with some advice and suggestions

I used a baby Bjorn for DS but I had to stop using it at about 10 months due to weight, it was just too uncomfortable. I've since learned that they are considered bad for baby from a posture perspective.

So I'm tossing up between a Beco / Ergo http://www.becobabycarrier.com/
    http://store.ergobaby.com/

OR

a sling like this http://www.babaslings.com/index.php

What I'm after is
    - best comfort for bub and of course safety
    - longevity, I'd like to use it to at least a year
    - ideally easy to breast feed in
    - ease of use
    - comfort or me, I plan to use it often

I like the beco/ergo because it seems structurally sound, and seems like it would be comfortable to wear. Though I'm unsure on the babies comfort, seems to be very baby Bjorn like. There isn't the range of position as there is with a sling. And I'm not certain about the ease of breast feeding.

I like the sling because of the range of positioning options for baby, i love the many different wys bby can lie and sit, and the ease of breast feeding. Though I'm unsure of the safety, they look like baby will just fall out! And I'm not sure on comfort for me as the wearer, and then I've heard stuff about how a babies spine should always be straight and rigid, which it wouldn't be in a sling

I'd love to hear your thoughts and suggestions, if you have any experience, or any alternate options please please share. The carrier is going to be one of my more important purchases so I want to get it right.
    Mummy to DS10 who is the light of our world
    Swayed took us 8 cycle's and I'm finally

Please be a sticky little bean, we have wished and hoped for you for so long xo

Our family welcomed a in May 2013 and thats ok, we're head over heels in love with him and feel blessed to be honoured with 2 sons

January 2014 - A little surprise that went to heaven before we could meet

October 2014 - Officially swaying for one last little bundle and wishing and hoping its a pink one

April 2015 - All our dreams have miraculously come true, our sway worked and our family will be complete with the little girl joining us in October this year

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If you buy a carrier be sure you'll buy a soft structured carrier. Baby Björns are not soft. You must be able to spread the hips of you're baby (after three months of age) in such a way that the knees are higher than or at least equal to the hips. Furthermore the bag must take his natural curve (which is absolutely impossible in a BB)

I have a manduca, but ergo carrier is also a good choice. You may also consider a mei tai or the Hoppediz Bondolino or Hop-tye.

The absolute most comfortable way of babycarrying for both of you will be in a wrap (i recommend a woven wrap afger three months). But it needs pratice to learn it. Search youtube for more information!

Good luck with making a decision.
    Mother of '08 and '10

And a aug '14

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    This is a Dutch side (also in englis) with a lot of info. i'm sure you can also ask here questions on which to buy!
    Mother of '08 and '10

And a aug '14

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I had a maya wrap (sling style) for my baby for the first 4 months. I liked it but after a while it got too hard to carry my baby on one shoulder. After 4 months I switched to a mei-tai style carrier, which I really like but you have to do a lot of knots and ties for it. However, you can evenly carry the weight on your back and it's easier on your body. DH has a carrier we bought at Target on sale. It's made by Infantino and we use it a lot. It's adjustable so both of us can use it. It's called the Infantino Swift baby carrier and it's great! Honestly we probably get the most use out of that one, and you can have baby facing out or inward. My baby is fast approaching 1 year old and we're still using the carriers and loving them.

I hate strollers and I'm very petite so having a big bulky stroller is not for me. I love baby wearing when we're out and about. Good luck finding a carrier!
    2012 (my sweetest little bug)

2013 Thank you Atomic Sagebrush and Gender Dreaming!

Link to my successful girl sway: http://genderdreaming.com/forum/add-...y-attempt.html

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have had a good read through the links you posted Lassie, i really think the best would be babasling. I will probably get one of them myself.

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I had a Mei tai I loved dh used it for back carries a lot. I also like Becos and bobas. I have friends that love ergo but they didn't fit me great. I also have a woven wrap which I much prefer to a moby bc it doesn't get loose or saggy.

I agree with pp , babies knees should be higher than hips. And also baby should face inward to avoid over stimulation.

Mommy to DS1 (3) DS2 (1 1/2) angel baby DD lost at 20 weeks (5/12) and another angel baby DD at 17 weeks due to ??? (12/12)

Next option will be HT eventually...

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My link didn't work lol. Maybe this one will

http://i368.photobucket.com/albums/oo129/tomjenvogel/396160_332208483477654_100000655149220_1135112_185 0003135_n.jpg
    Mommy to DS1 (3) DS2 (1 1/2) angel baby DD lost at 20 weeks (5/12) and another angel baby DD at 17 weeks due to ??? (12/12)

Next option will be HT eventually...

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The babssling looks really good, the only thing Im worried about is if it will hurt your shoulders/back? Im looking into these now so thanks for asking about it I think I prefer the slings for breastfeeding purposes though
    2006 (5) (3) & cautiously expecting a beautiful baby in May

Baby Annabelle Clare arrived safely into the world 10th May 2013 - Let the fun begin!!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Actually now i am looking at ring slings, they seem to have better adjustability than the babasling. Anyone used a ring sling before?

plenty of vids on youtube

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinss View Post
    Actually now i am looking at ring slings, they seem to have better adjustability than the babasling. Anyone used a ring sling before?

plenty of vids on youtube
    Loved our ring slings still using them for our DS aged 5 (piggy backs sometimes) and DS aged 2 (hip carry, front carry/semi cradle to sleep) BUT I have small babies (born 2kg and 2.6kg) .. my friend has much bigger kids (5kg plus) - she found RS less comfortable closer to one year.

They were AWESOME for BFg in.

I prefer the pleated shoulder so you can spread right across the shoulder and over the upper arm a bit like a capsleeve tshirt. This helps with preventing neck or shoulder pain.
    Recommend a soft but strong material is best (we have hemp/silk which is heavenly - from sleeping baby.net).
    My DH loved using it also.
    Found it really good for older babe to do stuff (like prepare dinner) when too inquisitive to be happy facing inward, and too tired/whingy to be down on the floor.
    It is also worth getting familiar with safe positioning in slings (generally) but specifically in Ring Slings - head/face position, not under clothing etc ... let me know if you want some websites / docs

Good luck!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast