Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Barium swallow test--I am freaking out!

My 3 month old has reflux issues, and I took him to the pediatric gastroenterologist (sp?) who ordered a barium swallow test. We did the test yesterday (don't know the results yet).They made my baby drink barium and then xrayed him to see how it went down.I guess I didn't realize the risk of radiation when the doctor told us to get the test, or I absolutely would have waited and tried other things first. Now I am terrified that my baby got a huge dose of radiation that will hurt him. I am so scared!

Has anyone else done this test with their baby? Were there side effects?
    2004 2006 2010 2012

My BOY sway worked!! THANK YOU GENDER DREAMING!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm kinda surprised they'd do that on a 3MO! I've never heard of anyone getting it done, hopefully someone else can chip in...
    Sept 2008 & successful boy sway June 2010.
    M/C Oct 2012

Is DE in my future?

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Anchor, I am still freaking out. I had no time to really think about it the test at all, because I had a regular appointment and the doctor decided to get the test done right then because there was an opening. I wish I had been scheduled for a different day, so I could have thought about it longer. I think I would have refused to do it.
    2004 2006 2010 2012

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think it's a slight increase of leukemia and when I say slight I mean very small... I had a radiation test in October where I was injected with it and had to breath it for 6 mins. And the papers I signed said if I am pregnant it would increase the risk of leukemia... But when I read the number it was so small I don't remember the number tho
    ( 2004) ( 2006) (2011 )

Aug 27th 2013

Make a pregnancy ticker

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Did they not tell u the risks before? Don't you have to sign papers that explain?

Im sure he will be fine... It's still very scary tho
    ( 2004) ( 2006) (2011 )

Aug 27th 2013

Make a pregnancy ticker

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    No one had me sign anything! I mean, i had to sign a general consent to treat form, but it wasnt for that procedure, just for the dr. in general. My god, if they had said the risks like that, I would never have done it! I am terrified AND furious now!
    2004 2006 2010 2012

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Any other stories people want to share? Please?
    2004 2006 2010 2012

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I find that insane! They don't tell you anything! My youngest has had lot of medical issues with his eye and he's had so many surgeries/procedures and every single Time I would have a lot of reading about what they were doing and written consent then the dr explains everything and I have to give verbal consent and say I understand the risks....

I would be furious and I would be asking why you were not given a fair chane to decide what you wanted to do with your child... I don't know but if he did end up having an issue as a result I'm pretty sure you could sue but I have no idea about legal stuff... And I pray that he has no side effects
    ( 2004) ( 2006) (2011 )

Aug 27th 2013

Make a pregnancy ticker

Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My son had the same thing done when he was 2 months old.... He's 21 months old and thriving!!! I personally didn't worry. I'm pretty sure they would've made you sign forms if there were risks. If you're that worried, I would just call the DR and ask.
    My family is complete!!!
    2/2000
    6/2003
    4/2011
    7/2013

Swayed for a

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyCakesTor View Post
    My son had the same thing done when he was 2 months old.... He's 21 months old and thriving!!! I personally didn't worry. I'm pretty sure they would've made you sign forms if there were risks. If you're that worried, I would just call the DR and ask.
    I am glad to hear other people have had this test done.

I did call the dr and the radiologist, and they claim that the risk is very low or they wouldn't do the test. My son gags and chokes and coughs while feeding sometimes, and seems to stop breathing for a moment. I guess that can indicate a condition where there is a hole between the esophagus and the trachea, which is what they were looking for, and apparently this test is the only way to find out if he had that condition. He doesn't have it, and he is fine. It is possible that he has something else in his throat that effects swallowing, but it is also possible that he has a sensitive gag reflex and my milk let down is too strong for him. I have to see how he does with me trying to pump and bottle feed with a slow flow nipple and see how that goes.

I just wish the doctor had talked this all through with me before ordering the test. My appointment was rushed because he was running behind, and I didn't get the information I needed ahead of time.
    2004 2006 2010 2012

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast