Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question about toddler naptime!

Hi,
    My 19 month old has a nap everyday from about 1pm-3 or 4pm. Sometimes he would sleep even later, but I go in at 4:30pm the latest to get him up no matter what!

My question is, when do toddlers seem to outgrow these LONG naps and switch to a shorter "power nap" or what is your experience with it as I know obviously every child is different.

I absolutely adore it of course, gives me lots of time to do stuff around the house , but in September I want him to start an afternoon session at pre-school (yes, really planning ahead lol), he will be about 27 months. I don't want to change it, I'd rather him just grow out of it!
    June 21 2011 - Ryder
    May 22 2013 - Hudson

Our family is now complete - no more babies for us. We didn't get our girl but I wouldn't trade my boys for the world, so in love.

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    my 26 month old still naps 1-4pm

Big Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My ds3 is 26 months, and he still naps for about 3 hours most days (when we can fit it in around running errands and dropping off/picking up brothers). Ideally, he does down around 10:30 or 11:00 and wakes up around 2 or 2:30. He didn't go down until about 2 today, so he's still out. I need to go get him soon, or we'll be in trouble at bedtime! I would suggest you start putting him down sooner so maybe you can transition him to a morning nap before he starts preschool.
    2004 2007 2010

It's a boy! Due 7/8/2013

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    They still sleep that long???? When I tell people his nap time, they look at me like he's some sort of freak child lol so I thought it was unusual that he still takes a long nap. I guess I will have to transition him to morning naps if he doesn't outgrow it before September! He's a pretty light sleeper though, so once DS2 is here, nap time may change then!
    June 21 2011 - Ryder
    May 22 2013 - Hudson

Our family is now complete - no more babies for us. We didn't get our girl but I wouldn't trade my boys for the world, so in love.

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I try not to let my 30 month old nap very much anymore...for the same reason as you! He starts preschool in September. And bed-time was becoming a NIGHTMARE, so I just started weaning out the naps. If he's really cranky I'll let him have a nap on the couch for an hour - TOPS. I hate to wake him but if he naps too much longer than that I'll fall asleep at night before him!
    Sept 2008 & successful boy sway June 2010.
    M/C Oct 2012

Is DE in my future?

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Can you do a morning session instead of afternoon? In my experience, my kids napped until almost 4 years old. My dd turned 3 in October and is sleeping as we speak. She goes to preschool in the morning. I think good naps help maintain good night sleeping.
    (9) (6) (5) (3) (1)

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My 25 month old only naps for an hour now. But at 18-22 months she was still having the 3 hr naps. She has always slept for 12hrs at night and still does. So I suppose if they need less sleep as they get older it could be the naps or the nighttime sleep that they cut back on
    DD Christmas 2010

DS Sucessful Boy Sway July 2013

DD2: Sucessful Girl Sway March 1st 2016

Thank you atomic & gender dreaming. Feeling so blessed to have had 2 sucessful sways. We would love one more to complete our family and our fingers are crossed for blue

Big Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ThreeMenAndALAdy View Post
    Can you do a morning session instead of afternoon? In my experience, my kids napped until almost 4 years old. My dd turned 3 in October and is sleeping as we speak. She goes to preschool in the morning. I think good naps help maintain good night sleeping.
    If mine doesn't nap, he doesn't sleep well that night. He is my first kid to take a consistent nap and I love it!
    2004 2007 2010

It's a boy! Due 7/8/2013

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    There is a morning option but I'd rather him in afternoons - we're both super slow morning risers so I think he'd get more out of an afternoon sessions!
    But if he doesn't outgrow his nap on his own I will have to do mornings! I'm not sure I could get him to take morning naps, he wakes around 830 or 9 so he doesn't get tired till noonish these days. There's a lot of time for things to change of course (especially with a new baby coming!)
    June 21 2011 - Ryder
    May 22 2013 - Hudson

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh my goodness - I had to update this: I am pretty sure I JINXED nap time by asking this question!!!! As I mentioned, he usually sleeps about 1-3 or 4pm. Well, for the last week now, he will NOT nap at all!!! I leave him in his crib, he just babbles and I can hear him moving around etc. I hope he goes back to sleeping like normal lol!
    June 21 2011 - Ryder
    May 22 2013 - Hudson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast