Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Age for preschool and Kindergarten??

i am in New Jersey and my older will b 4 in dec this year..... we went to admit her in public preschool but got late an admit her in private school... now they told us that she would get admission in kindergarten when she will b 5 in sep 2012. as their session starts in September... but she wont be exact 5 years old next Sep... she would b 5 in Dec 2012.it is 4 month gap...
    would she be waiting one more year ??
    is she gonna start K in 2013 , when she would b almost 6 ?? im really woried
    2007 2009 and TTC in 2012

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Each state is different as to how old a child has to be to start pre-k or kindergarden.I am in NY and to start pre-k the child must turn 4 by december 1st and to start K they need to be 5 by december 1st.Im not sure of NJ rules but they are likely the same.
    9899030508 1012 for a one day.Summer 20017 pink sway is a go!

Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have the same issue with my second dd. She turns 4 dec 7 but I live in NY too and miss d cutoff by days so we will enrol her in private preschool n unfortunately she'll almost be 6 b4 she gets in k
    2005, 2007, for a healthyin Oct 2011, looks like he's all

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    yeah my son will turn 4 in jan 2012 so he cant go to prek till he is almost 5 and k till he is almost 6 but to be honest it gives the kids a leg up on the other kids and they do much better in school most times.My 2 march babies did way better than my june and october baby they were just younger and less able to conform to the structure that school demands.
    9899030508 1012 for a one day.Summer 20017 pink sway is a go!

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, if she doesn't make the cutoff, she doesn't make it so she would just be one of the older kids in her class which I think is great! We have a September cutoff here and school begins in August so it makes no sense at all.

I did the opposite in that I did not want my eldest to be the youngest in the class and since she had a late Summer birthday, we opted to wait another year and send her to kindergarten when she had turned 6. Some kids here start school at 4 and turn 5 in kindergarten because our cutoff does not have anything to do with the school start date...it is really messed up.
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

Become a Dream Member to access the private forums

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    There are studies that older kids in a grade do better socially and academically and have increased confidence if this helps. We are planning on sending my son to kindergarten when he's 5 (he'll be 6 that december) and are glad he'll be one of the oldest!
    and my HT

Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    my dd was also born on dec 7 ..... i didnt think about this cutt off thing otherwise shudnt plan like this....this would happen with my both dds .... dd2 was born on 21st nov............... anyways i think we should held her back for one more year.
    2007 2009 and TTC in 2012

Dream Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Here the cut off is August 31 (kids have to be 5 by then for K and 4 by then for pre-k). My son's birthday is August 23 (just makes it), and he is the youngest in his class . . . he can keep up, but I think it might have been nicer if he waited another year. My other 2 are December babies, and I'm thinking it will be nice that they won't be the youngest.
    04 06 MS/PGD 08

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My eldest is Aug 24th and the youngest in the year. He was just four when he started school (reception class) his best mate was 5 three weeks after! He def struggles with his concentration!
    2006 2008 2010 : 2013
    2 angels
    Due Jan 2020

Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by lightofmylife View Post
    my dd was also born on dec 7 ..... i didnt think about this cutt off thing otherwise shudnt plan like this....this would happen with my both dds .... dd2 was born on 21st nov............... anyways i think we should held her back for one more year.
    With my dd1 she is Nov 15, I like the fact that she could get in because she needed the socialization and benefits of getting into school early. With dd2 she is "brighter" so holding her back for the required year might not be such a bad thing, and she has her "little" teacher n me working on her anyway
    2005, 2007, for a healthyin Oct 2011, looks like he's all

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast