Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Breast feeding tips/advice PLEASE!

Ok so I have had 4 children, with each of them I have tried to BF but never made it past a month with any of them. I am currently pregnant with baby 5 and truly want to try to BF for the first year. My big problem with the others was, I just didn't enjoy it. I hear a lot of people talking about how they like the bonding time and how special it is. But I just never got this feeling, I felt the same using breast or bottle. I loved my babies, loved being with them, holding them, feeding them, and playing with them. I just never enjoyed this....Is there something wrong with me, for not liking it? What can I do to make it better. Sorry this is such an odd question, I just want some support. Also no one in my family breast fed more then a month either, so they are not much help....
    Mom of 5, DD , DS1 ,DS2 , DS3 and surprise DD 2 . Baby number 5 sure was meant to be here, she was born after I had a tubal ligation after baby 4 was born! We are so happy to have her join us, done having kids now (hopefully my body now agrees)!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Has anyone ever told you it gets a lot easier at 6 weeks? I found the first 6 weeks horrible with all mine, it feels like you constantly have a baby attached to you at all times and no one else can help!

But honestly this is the hardest part. At 6 weeks they have the growth spurt and after that things settle down. The feeds get easier and take less time.

My girl is 10 weeks and she feeds 4 times in a day and once in the night, each feed taking between 20 to 40 mins.

If you do use formula it is important to express at the same time.

Weleda nursing tea is good for supply. Good luck!
    13 years 11 years 6 years & our HT miracle 2 years

6 IVF Cycles(3 SART & 3 Genea), 4 FET cycles, 4 transfers, 3 Chemicals.

Sep 11 2012: Genea, FET, 1 day 5, CGH HB transferred.
    4dp5dt POAS BFP, 9dp5dt 67, 11 dp5dt 183, 17dp5dt 3832
    Full Cycle Details here Cycle Summary

Finally our beautiful baby girl was born 20th May, 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Like glory says maybe set yourself a goal of 8 weeks exclusive b/f and work towards that first, then hopefully your body and brain would have fully recovered from pregnancy and birth and the enjoyment might come into it more

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I completely understand what you are saying. I just had my 4th child 8 weeks ago and he is the first baby I have successfully breastfed. My family is completely unsupportive and have went as far as saying that it is disgusting for anyone to breastfeed. I decided that this time I was just going to try my hardest to breastfeed but that I wouldn't stress out if it didn't work. I don't really feel like I have bonded with this baby any differently than I did With the first three that were bottle fed so I understand what you are saying about that. I would just do what you can and feel good about it even if it is only for a few weeks but I will say that it has definitely gotten easier in the last few weeks so if you can just get past the first 4 to 6 weeks then you may find it easier to breastfeed for much longer. I really have no plan as to how long I will breastfeed right now I am just trying to stick with it as long as I can and store as much milk as possible so that when I stop there will be some to get us through for awhile so that we don't have to buy formula because of the cost so I can stay home.
    200120042007June 24, 2013

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    thanks everyone for the advice and encouragement! I have another question for you all, I am a stay at home mom, should I try to give the baby a bottle at all, so when ever DH and I get a chance to go out, she will take one? Or should I just hope that she will take one when we ever get to do that again? Don't know much about how to handle that part. Thanks again all!
    Mom of 5, DD , DS1 ,DS2 , DS3 and surprise DD 2 . Baby number 5 sure was meant to be here, she was born after I had a tubal ligation after baby 4 was born! We are so happy to have her join us, done having kids now (hopefully my body now agrees)!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I wouldnt offer a bottle until you are ready to switch, only to be safe from any nipple confusion.

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have given our baby a few bottles to make sure that he would take one just in case I wasn't able to be there for a feeding. I waited until he was 4 weeks old and breastfeeding seem established and he did great. He has probably had 1 bottle a week since then and we haven't had any problems at all. I used to work in an infant room and it always broke my heart when someone brought their baby in and they wouldn't take a bottle and cried most of the day because they wanted their mom and were hungry. I'm not going back to work but I didn't want my baby to be hungry just in case I had to leave him somewhere for a few hours.
    200120042007June 24, 2013

Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've given both my girls bottles and dummies and never had an issue with nipple confusion, this link might help you avoid it

Nipple Confusion. How do I Breastfeed & Occasionally Bottle Feed? - What to Expect

I agree with getting them used to it just in case, dd2 refused to drink from a bottle for a while so i was glad we'd tried it before we really had no choice.

Mommyof3boys, you should be very proud of yourself for breastfeeding in such a negative atmosphere. My dad wasnt keen on me doing it when i had dd1, he wouldnt say anything but would make his excuses and leave, by the time dd2 was born he was taking pictures of me whilst i was feeding coz it didnt even enter his head i had my boob out ha!! So stick with it, some of them might slowly change their attitudes

Google the kellymom website too, it has masses of breastfeeding info to help you keep going, especially warnings about growth spurts which always help!

Xxx
    2009 2012 due Apr 2014