Uploads
    Thanks Nahri!
    Mummy to a girl, born sleeping & two gorgeous & loud little boys

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dana-Alicia View Post
    Thanks for the tips, I'll try that as well! He refused his food again today so I sat him down and told him I don't want to scare him, but if he looses any more weight (he only weighs 20 kg now and measures 128 cm), he must go back to the hospital and they will put a tube in his throat to feed him. He said: but that hurts! Yeah son it does, but if you don't eat you'll get sicker and you're really too unhealthy now. He went into the kitchen, ate half a tomato and then asked me to fry him 2 eggs. Smothered them in butter and he ate it completely Don't want to scare him, but don't know how else to reason with him, as it is the truth, they will admit him if he doesn't eat. Never thought parenting could be this hard
    That is one thing that has really shocked me about being a parent - how hard your children will fight you on things you are doing only because you love them and want them to be ok.

Does he get much exercise?? I have two really picky eaters (one of whom existed on nothing but Goldfish and Flintstones for about 2 years straight) and I found that they didn't have an appetite if they didn't run around a lot.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I need to take them outside every day, otherwise I go nuts lol! But he does tend to get hungrier after a long day at the playground. Still I think the biggest issue is that he doesn't connect with his body like most people do. I don't think he experiences hunger pangs or maybe he doesn't recognize them as hunger? He was potty trained very late, when he was almost five. Kids with autism tend to just not feel it on time. Maybe it's the same with the eating? He also struggles with new flavors or tectures, he doesn't like the feeling in his mouth. If I let him, he would live of chocolate and pizza solely Today he drank a few sips off a smoothie with spinach, bananas, blueberries and mango and again had eggs, some bread with butter and of course his favourite easter eggs. We'll get there, he just needs a lot of motivation

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That could very well be the case as one of mine just really doesn't ever seem to get hungry. He will eat things he likes but not because he's hungry, just because he wants to eat wahtever it is. He's an adult now and still eats like this, just not to as much of an extreme. I was shocked when he started eating salads all on his own (I think it was a girl who had something to do with that LOL) and while he's never going to be a gourmet, he isn't really as bad as I feared he would be.

My thinking with him and also with my other non-eater was to get ANYTHING into them. Pizza is actually a decent food when it comes down to it and mine eat tons of it. :/ I'm sure there were times I could have done better but at the same time, it seemed like the harder I pushed, the worse they ate. Just so you know you're not alone!!

5. Likes Dana-Alicia, The Anchor liked this post
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks AS it helps knowing I'm not alone and love reading your picky eater now eats salad! My son has made a huge improvement in his eating. I need to remind him every now and then how healthy it is to eat and he has gained 3 lbs! since I started this thread! He went from eating barely anything to eating 3 sandwiches in the morning with chocolate spread, 5 (FIVE!!!) sandwiches in the afternoon with butter, meat and cheese, at school he has 2 pieces of fruit and when he comes home after school I feed him pizza with meat and veggies. As dessert he has fullfat yoghurt with fruit. In between he also snacks cookies or sweets. He still needs loads of motivation to try something new, but he has started eating pasta, more veggies and bacon. He loves bacon lol. He still gets his vitamins and probiotics everyday and have also been giving him extra iron and vitamin D. I can not believe how much better he is doing! So relieved!

7. Likes The Anchor, atomic sagebrush, Nahri liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My son has always been the worst eater. I would literally have to chase him around all day and start stuffing food down his mouth. I looked like a lunatic LOL. He is better today, but he still won't feed himself ("my arms hurt momma, I'm so tired of chewing momma"). Everyone (including docs) said "he'll eat when he's hungry"...I'm like "no he won't!!!". He won't eat unless somebody is sitting beside him. And picky like you wouldn't believe. He won't eat anything red. That is not a joke. Ketchup is the one exception. I have watched him FREAK OUT at preschool because one of the kids sitting beside him in circle time had had strawberries for breakfast. My daughter has to eat her yogurt in the next room. I dread every dinner time.

I can seriously relate! I am going to try the hospitalization threat tonight!!!
    Sept 2008 & successful boy sway June 2010.
    M/C Oct 2012

Is DE in my future?

9. Likes atomic sagebrush, Dana-Alicia liked this post
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oi that sounds exactly like my son, it's so frustrating! I hope the hospital threat will work for you as well!

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by The Anchor View Post
    My son has always been the worst eater. I would literally have to chase him around all day and start stuffing food down his mouth. I looked like a lunatic LOL. He is better today, but he still won't feed himself ("my arms hurt momma, I'm so tired of chewing momma"). Everyone (including docs) said "he'll eat when he's hungry"...I'm like "no he won't!!!". He won't eat unless somebody is sitting beside him. And picky like you wouldn't believe. He won't eat anything red. That is not a joke. Ketchup is the one exception. I have watched him FREAK OUT at preschool because one of the kids sitting beside him in circle time had had strawberries for breakfast. My daughter has to eat her yogurt in the next room. I dread every dinner time.

I can seriously relate! I am going to try the hospitalization threat tonight!!!
    THIS times a million!!! Everyone tells you they'll eat when they're hungry, whatever you give them, and I"m like "you realize that 50% of all children used to die before they reached the age of 3, right?? That is because Goldfish had not been invented yet." I too have followed my 3rd son around shoving tiny particles of food into his mouth...for years at a time...and he just ate a lunch of two tortillas with mozzarella cheese and dipped in ketchup. I have no shame at this point.

My oldest son (the one who now eats salad) hated anything even the slightest bit "slimy" and to him, things like peaches or strawberries or bananas were slimy. Yogurt was also "slimy", as was jelly. There are huge categories of food that might be considered slimy when one starts to put their mind to it. (and he did. One time he made himself throw up because my husband made him eat 2 bites of lasagna. :/

Both DS 1 and 3 hate spaghetti. HOW can you hate spaghetti?? I thought all kids loved spaghetti. But no. DS 1 will only eat it if it has alfredo sauce and DS 3 will only eat it if it has 4 lbs of mozzarella cheese on top, at which point he eats the cheese, and by the time he gets to the spaghetti, he's "full" and I have to throw it away.

Hang in there!

12. Likes Dana-Alicia, The Anchor liked this post
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes so true. I was always told he would eat when he's hungry. Of course those were people with kids who would eat anything! I was also a picky eater and I agree with your son on slimey things. I refused to eat those things as well. Looking back I also have a slight allergy to some fruits as it would burn my mouth when eating them. Now maybe this is karma coming round to bite me in the ass lol as I did the same to my mom, making her desperate I wouldn't eat anything but crispy, salty things. I would eat dry spaghetti or chips. Aah the delights of parenting

14. Likes atomic sagebrush, The Anchor liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12