Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

How can I help my son improve his health?

My eldest son gets sick very often. His immune system is not strong at all. Last year he suffered from a sickness caused by a wacky immune system, causing him to get tiny bleedings in his skin and organs and reumatic infections in his joints. We spent a lot of time at the hospital, he endured all the tests only for them to tell us it's bad luck (probably caused by a throat infection causing his immune system to overreact) and there's nothing they could do to help him except give him ibuprofen. Fortunaly he recovered after a few months, but he has been weak ever since and he wasn't very strong to begin with. He is very tall yet thin and now he has a stomach bug which caused him to drop a lot of weight in a short period of time. He also has autism, so when I try to fatten him up a little with healthy foods he doesn't know and thinks he doesn't like, he will refuse. He looks very tired, has black rings around his eyes and coughs a lot, especially at night. My parents were shocked when they saw him today, urging me to go see another doctor, as he looks so sick. The doctor says there's nothing he can do Today I finally managed to persuade him to take some probiotics. He also gets extra vitamins for kids. What else can I do to strengthen his immune system? He will generally only eat bread with chocolate sprinkles, fruit and I push him to drink enough water, if I didn't he wouldn't drink enough or he would live on chocolatemilk. Despite his physical problems, he is a very active child with ADHD kind of behavior (comes with this type of autism). What else can I do to help him?
    Mummy to a girl, born sleeping & two gorgeous & loud little boys

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    have you tried pediasure sidekicks in chocolate flavor?
    Apr 2012 June 2015

Our family is complete!

3. Likes Dana-Alicia liked this post
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    No, I haven't tried that yet. Not sure if I can get them here, but I'll look for something similar tomorrow, thanks! Silly I didn't think about that really, as i think I gave something similar to my sister when she was dehydrated from her pregnancy nausea!

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm sorry he and you are struggling. First, I would try to find an empathetic doctor. I'm a big believer that if mom thinks something is not right, mom is usually right. Beyond that, I would get as much protein in him as you could and find something to replace that chocolate milk. It's like giving him a soda- sane sugar content. What about smoothies? All fruit with veggies hidden in there? And liquid vitamins in the smoothies.

If you can see a pediatrician, I would continue to ask for medical help until you are satisfied with his overall condition.
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

Become a Dream Member to access the private forums

6. Likes Dana-Alicia liked this post
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    One thing I might recommend is there is a group on Facebook called Mealtime Hostage. All the ladies there are fantastic and all have children with selective eating problems and they know every trick in the book and where to seek help in your area.
    Apr 2012 June 2015

Our family is complete!

8. Likes Dana-Alicia liked this post
    Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I bought olive leaf extract in liquid as it has antiviral and antibacterial properties. It tastes foul but my kids love it.
    Also this might sound strange but I took my oldest to a chiro as he was delivered by forceps and they did some adjusting and he didn't get as sick after that. Only took say 4 sessions.
    07 09 (opposite shettles) 12 (failed sway) Sway: Apr 13 Nov 13
    HT#1 cycle May 14 (SART) 1 XX but BFN from Aug 14 FET...we're going to HRC 2015, BFN Mar 15 also. 3 boys in my family- that's us!!

10. Likes Dana-Alicia liked this post
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks all for the advice. In my small town there is only one doctor and when he directed me to the pediatrician, I was so dissapointed as well. He literally told me to be tougher on him, tell him he must sit down and eat when I say so. First of all, I don't want to force feed my child and second of all: I've tried everything in my desperation, so yes I have sat him down and told him to eat and regretted that as he refused and got very upset and so did I. I will go to the shop today and get all the ingredients for a healthy smoothy. I figured if he doesn't drink it, I might be able to freeze it and surprise him with a healthy ice popsicle, he might fall for it lol! Will also look into that group, I bet they have some tips to hide veggies and fruit in his meals We will be moving to the city this summer, will make sure we find the best doctor there! Oh and olive leaf sounds interesting, will ask my local natural vitamin shop if they have any Thanks girls!

12. Likes WannaGirl liked this post
    Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would really recommend a juicer, my son is a miserable eater and would live off pasta, ice cream and chocolate if I let him. Until the age of 2 1/2 he basically lived of milk and became anemic because of it, his lips would turn blue and he was severally constipated he also had many throat infections. My pediatrician sent us to an ENT and we where told to have his tonsils removed but ultimately left the decisions up to me and my husband. Well we decided against it and made some changes to his diet, I cut out the milk cold turkey and really started pushing meats and veggies and lots of fruit. I know it's hard I had to struggle at every meal. I would make fresh juices orange, apple and berries and later I started sneaking in carrots and beets amd if he would drink a whole glass he would get treats, like a cookie or a pice of candy, chocolate etc.... I also started giving him vitamin d and blackstrap molasses for his iron. My son is now 6 and hasn't had a infection in 2 years, it's a constant struggle when it comes to feeding especially when you have other kids to take care of as well and sometimes it's easier to give in and give them what they want, but stick with it you will see a difference, my kids school is a big help as well because they don't allow sweets and candy or chips and cookies. After a while you become amazed at what your kids will eat, my sons favorite food now is ratatouille, go figure. Best of luck to you and your son on this journey it can be a hard one but you can do it.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the tips, I'll try that as well! He refused his food again today so I sat him down and told him I don't want to scare him, but if he looses any more weight (he only weighs 20 kg now and measures 128 cm), he must go back to the hospital and they will put a tube in his throat to feed him. He said: but that hurts! Yeah son it does, but if you don't eat you'll get sicker and you're really too unhealthy now. He went into the kitchen, ate half a tomato and then asked me to fry him 2 eggs. Smothered them in butter and he ate it completely Don't want to scare him, but don't know how else to reason with him, as it is the truth, they will admit him if he doesn't eat. Never thought parenting could be this hard

15. Likes atomic sagebrush liked this post
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah forcing is never the way to go or you will shut him off completely. There is a feeding model on that group that works for a lot of people and you will get lots of help there!
    Apr 2012 June 2015

Our family is complete!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast