Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Anyone from South Africa or Afrikaans?

Does anyone live in South Africa? Or maybe have lived for a time or visted frequently?

One of my best friends during junior high moved from South Africa to Canada and I've been thinking alot about her family and some of their traditions. I'm curious if some of things are from their culture or are just apart of their family traditions. I belive she was Afrikaans but I'm not positive on that.

If anyone has any insight or more info on any of these I would appreciate it! Anyway I try and word this on google - it is just not pulling up the right info. Thanks!

1) Every birthday, the whole family comes together to decorate the kitchen table as a special birthday table. Decor, presents, balloons, flowers and cards on the table -sky is the limit! It is a way to celebrate and make the birthday person feel special right from the start of the day

2) Answering the phone cheerfully and sweetly. My friend and I danced togther and occaionally when we were at practices for the whole day or evening we would get a phone call from our parents and it always surprised all of us dance girls when my friend answered the phone, she has a naturally sweet and pleasant voice but when she answered the phone she would be even more happy and enthusiastic!

3) Respect for parents; looking to parents for guidance when things are tough or confusing even as teenagers. I am not really sure how to word this one but my friend and her siblings all grew closer to their parents as they were teenagers. There was no rebellion (known to me anways) and the parents retained their authority while guiding and allowing space when needed to allow their child to gain independence, responsibility and mature

Please note I am in NO way trying to bash a culture or country, in fact just the opposite! I have been thinking lately about my family traditions and what I would like my children to remember about their childhood, while at the same time raising respectful, kind, compassionate and helpful kids that will be respectful, kind, compassionate and helpful adults and these are all ideals/traditions that I want to instill and start in my own family. I was just hoping for a little background on them, if possible

Also I would ask my friend but I no longer have her current number and she is not on social media
    Honeybug xo

April 2012 Dreaming pink and TTC January 2015

Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Honeybun, I was born in South Africa and lived there majority of my life. I moved to Australia when I was 30. I am not Afrikaans speaking, I am English speaking but understand Afrikaans. I am trying to understand what you want to know about. Are you asking if the things you have mentioned are of a traditionally South African Afrikaans family?
    2004: 2011

Dreaming of pink

3. Likes atomic sagebrush, Honeybug liked this post
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    bump, I'm glad I'm also interested in the differences between cultures! That's one of the coolest things about this gig.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

5. Likes Pink Pony, Honeybug liked this post
    Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Pink Pony View Post
    Honeybun, I was born in South Africa and lived there majority of my life. I moved to Australia when I was 30. I am not Afrikaans speaking, I am English speaking but understand Afrikaans. I am trying to understand what you want to know about. Are you asking if the things you have mentioned are of a traditionally South African Afrikaans family?
    Hi Pink Pony!

Yes that is what I am asking I am looking forward to your reply!
    Honeybug xo

April 2012 Dreaming pink and TTC January 2015

Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi Honeybug, as far as your first question goes- I think that is a personal family tradition, each to their own family.

Traditionally I think Afrikaans people are very family orientated, most of the time, it's big family gatherings, good home cooking food. They are quite strict with discipline, the parents are your seniors and you respect them. South African people in general have a very different view on parenting. Your child does as they told, - you wouldn't really question it. Parents are the parents, they don't try and make friends with there kids as such, they parents them and guide their children to the best of their ability.
    Manners are very important. Most children will call a friends parents by their last name.

I mean no disrespect to anyone that reads this post in parenting. Just my opinion and how I was brought up. Not sure if that helps in anyway.
    2004: 2011

Dreaming of pink

8. Likes maidentomother, atomic sagebrush liked this post
    Dream Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Interesting post)