Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nutcracker?

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Nutcracker?

My daughter (7 yrs old) and I have gone to the Nutcracker several years now, and it is a lot of fun. This year, my son expressed interest in going (he's 5). I don't know if he will like it--I am afraid he might be bored--and the tickets are pricey... but I really don't want to exclude him, or make him feel like it is "just for girls" or anything like that. I would gladly take him if I thought he would sit through it, but it is an expensive gamble.

Has anyone taken their son to see the Nutcracker? How did he like it?
    2004 2006 2010 2012

My BOY sway worked!! THANK YOU GENDER DREAMING!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You know I'd be the first one to answer this, LOL! YES HE WILL! You know I run a ballet company and we are about to do a million dollar Nutcracker! This particular show has enough cool stuff to entertain boys for sure. At least ours is very entertaining. Many people have a misconception about ballet- that it is girly, or all the male dancers are gay, or that men would not enjoy it at all. Well, none of that is true. My male dancers are only 1/3 gay and are ALL like professional athletes. They train 6-8 hours a day and are very manly. In fact, my DH is a principal with our company and he even teaches and all-boys ballet class 3 days a week, and these 25 or so boys in the class absolutely love it!

I would say go for it. I bet he will like it. Maybe show him some clips on YouTube of various Nutcrackers and see what he thinks, or read him the story? We have men and women of all ages at ours, tons of boys. In fact, we have tons of boys IN our Nutcracker, from as young as 3 years old to adult.
    (2002) (2005) from 1st marriage. TTC since Aug 2010- Dx: low sperm count and 1% normal sperm. We are giving up and moving on with a baby-free life.
    UPDATE: surprise bfp in Feb 2013! It's a BOY!

NEVER GIVE UP HOPE!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Lola, great idea on the youtube clips. I will try that, and see what he thinks. He may be really interested, who knows? Good to hear that boys go to it and enjoy it! He is a bit of a fidgeter, and has a short attention span, which concerns me--also, the production we go to is an hour away, or I would just risk it and have DH come get him at intermission if he was bored. I just am afraid of getting there and having him want to leave, and then it would ruin everyone's experience.
    2004 2006 2010 2012

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It's a tricky one - I'm not sure mine would sit still for long enough! Has he ever been to the cinema and, if so, how was he with that? If not, perhaps that would be a good test!

DS1 drew me a picture this week (apparently it's what my next birthday cake will look like!). It had two ballerinas on either side and in the middle was a 'very strong man because he has to be strong to pick the ladies up so high'. I think I've got that message through lol!
    2005 2007 2009 2012

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I know what you mean. I usually tell people that if they have a fidgeter, try to get the best and closest seats possible (I know, it means more $ but worth it for the experience). I know firsthand that when they are closer to the action, it is harder to not look at it and lose interest. I routinely recommend closer seats and have gotten nothing but positive replies about it working. Also, try to have him take a nap before you go and have a good snack or a meal that does not include much sugar so he isn't hungry/tired. I have brought my girls to a zillion arts events, and I still tell them that if they behave and use their manners (which means sitting still and paying attention) that their reward is ice cream or something afterwards. I know it's kind of risky, but I think you just gotta give it a try and have a big talk with him (and have your daughter present) and tell them how fun it is going to be, blah blah, but they MUST be on their big boy/big girl behavior (if you include your daughter, even though she probably knows, he won't feel singled out). You can also enlist her to be a helper and encourage him to behave and get him excited on the drive there, etc.

Hope that helps! I have had to bring my kids to all SORTS of events that were long or lasted late or whatnot for work, and they are super troopers about it, just took some bribery and teamwork to get everyone understanding that a good attitude will get you a treat and also get you going to a lot more fun events.
    (2002) (2005) from 1st marriage. TTC since Aug 2010- Dx: low sperm count and 1% normal sperm. We are giving up and moving on with a baby-free life.

NEVER GIVE UP HOPE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Another good point from Zan about the movies....even though the ballet will include one or two intermissions where he can get up and move around, which makes a HUGE difference for kids!

Zan, I love that your son drew ballet dancers, male and female!!! He is dead on right, they have to be super strong to lift those girls up all day and night!

NEVER GIVE UP HOPE!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Zan, I love that story about your son! That's awesome. My son will sit through a movie at the theater, but he moves around a LOT, like going from my lap to his own seat and back several times.

Lola, we can only afford balcony seats--seats on the floor are almost $50! Otherwise I would gladly sit towards the front. The first year I took DD1, we were able to get 3rd row seats, and it was awesome!! The prices have nearly doubled since then, and I am not sure why.
    2004 2006 2010 2012

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The economy! We have actually lowered our prices since the economic downturn, which was smart since we have more people at shows and are making more in ticket sales also. But I hear ya.....I can't afford that kind of price either. Well, try everything else....and seriously, you just gotta give it a try. If he is showing interest, then tell him you'll take him but only if he behaves and pays attention because that is the way you act at a ballet. I think you'll have fun!

NEVER GIVE UP HOPE!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, I got him a ticket!

Last night we found a version on Netflix, which was weird (there was a super creepy Herr Drosselmeyer!), but he was totally enthralled with it. Hopefully he will like the real thing as much!
    2004 2006 2010 2012

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Great, I hope it goes well!
    2005 2007 2009 2012

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast