Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Lefty Child Advice

DS1 (4yo) wants a guitar... a kids acoustic. He seems to be mostly lefty (eats, writes, kicks, throws etc) he tries to do things with his right hand a few times but only for a quick second. He plays the baby toy guitars and mine like a lefty.

Is it possible that he will stay a lefty?

Can a child turn into a righty after 4yo?
    2007 2008 2009 2010
    2012 twin

DADDY wants

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have some personal experience on this subject being a special education teacher. Generally speaking a child will pick up a fork or spoon with their dominant hand. It sounds like he is left handed. Usually by 4 years old they have picked a dominant hand.

My five year old son is also left handed. He was delayed in fine motor skills in preschool so he received early intervention services. The occupational therapists that worked with him last school year told me that she has worked with children who were encouraged to use their non dominant hand and it screwed up the way they learned. It has to do with the way your brain is wired. My son would want to cut with his right hand but she recommend that he do all activities with his left hand.

It is a challenge to be left handed because it is a right handed world but my son is doing great in kindergarten.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Was your son delayed because someone tried to make him use his right hand? Was he using his right hand because of watching right handed people?

Thank you... I wasn't sure when left/right set in because some websites are not very clear.
    2007 2008 2009 2010
    2012 twin

DADDY wants

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    DD2 (2.5) is left handed. "They" do say it isn't "for sure" until they are writing, like ABC's ... but from the time she was a baby and reaching for dangling things, she has been left hand dominant. I remember noticing it then because it was so consistent. Now that she eats and draws, it is always left handed. I would expect if your son does most things naturally with his left that yes, he'll likely stay that way.

My DH is ambidextrous but uses his right for most precision activities, like eating and writing. He plays all sports (and guitar, for that matter) left handed. He also has been that way since early childhood.

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think he was delayed because he is a typical boy. Never wanted to color or do crafts. He would rather be running around outside. His preschool teacher was trying to get him to cut with his right hand because she thought he looked more comfortable but the occupational therapist put an end to that.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    None of my kids are Lefties, but I babysit a kid who is (he's 7). He has been like that as long as I have known him (since age 2), and he does great with everything, and he actually has very tidy handwriting and is a great artist. Your son can learn to play the guitar left handed... Paul McCartney did!
    2004 2006 2010 2012

My BOY sway worked!! THANK YOU GENDER DREAMING!!

Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    i got 3 lefties i have no idea how. everyone is right handed in this family
    x5
    x2 dd#6 lost an identical twin sister and dd 5 lived in my arms for 2 hours
    2012!! he's finally here!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    So what age do you know for sure? Is it definatly when they are writing properly? I think my DD will be a lefty but she is only just about to turn 2.

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Cinss my DD we had a guess even as a baby b/c she always swiped at things left handed; by the time she started holding a spoon it was left handed and it's just never been any different... every development for her has just reinforced it. If your DD is doing things predominantly left handed now, I would say odds are she'll stay that way. In terms of "for sure" though, yes, it isn't until they begin writing that you're supposed to consider it as being true. Mine is only 2.5 but I will be floored if she has some kind of reversal at this point.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    One test we tried on DS1 was giving him a pair of preschool scissor and crayons using them with both hands... his right is very shaking but his left hand is very stable and fast. When we hand him things like the guitar at the store I held it with both hands and didn't show him how to hold it. He held it like a lefty would and played. I asked him to switch it and he tried it for a minute and then he started to strum it like a lefty while holding it right handed.
    2007 2008 2009 2010
    2012 twin

DADDY wants

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast