Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Big Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

New baby must haves.

Please add to the list the things you couldn't live without!

I'm all for saving money, I'm not one to buy all the baby items just because.

So for a New born - Must have's

Cot
    Pushchair/ car seat
    Swing or bouncer ? Yay or Nay?
    Baby bath? Yay or Nay? I was thinking just a bath support like the cradles or foam.
    Toys? Yay or Nay? At what age did they start to have interest?

For mum

Manual or electric breast pump?
    Nursing pillow?

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I need a crib and bedding lol because we thought we all done and sold and donated stuff.
    Also a play pan just to put the baby somewhere safe other then crib.
    This are must have for me , baby tub and pump too.
    Toys when baby start looking at it maybe?
    Swing is good to have if baby likes it .We had to bring it back last time DD4 hated it lol but my other girls loved it.
    Not sure what else really a MUST have ...lets see what others say.
    +1

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    We used a co-sleeper for the first 5mths (when they can pull themself up) and a crib after that. The co-sleeper we have attaches to the side of the bed and is just like a bassinet. But since I nursed at night we were mostly sleeping together (with no covers on me or baby).

I like the Carseat/Stroller combo but after DS2 was born we got a 2 seater stroller so the one with the carseat is nearly new. Would make for a great yardsale item next summer. Having a little cheap umbrella stroller is great after 6-9mths for when you need something smaller like shopping in stores with smaller walkways. But look for one that allows you the stand up straight.

I found the Bouncer useful. DS1 would sit in it while we ate and DS2 when we ate our I had to do something for DS1. Don't get one that has a hard plastic toy attachment (DH held it over DS1's head and it slipped, DH nearly had a heart attack). the vibration helps to clear any extra air bubbles.

We used the swing a lot with DS1 because it was the only way to get him to nap... 30mins 2x's a day was so wonderful. DS2 hated it.

At about 5-6mths my boys liked the jumpers. It would knock them out in 5-15mins and it gave me time to make dinner.

For the bath I hated the ones that didn't have any type of side support. NB slump and it looks so horrible. With DS1 DH just did co-bathing and it helped there bonding. We ended up doing the same with DS2. I just kept a bath robe for me so I can easily put it on and then get the baby dried and dressed. If you get one find one that supports the sides and keeps the baby in a sitting position. But honestly we don't over bathe the little ones more then once a week but sometimes if they had a big vomiting issue (DS1 had reflux). About 5-6mths the little bath chairs works great, but find one that has a rubber cushion in the "privates" area.

We gave them a few toys early on.... but soft cotton ones only. They would look and touch them from 6-8wks. At around 3mths you will notice them hold them more. By 4-6mths kids start to have more fun with them. But even at 6mths I say soft toys because they hold them over their heads and the plastic toys will hurt. A play mat with a place to attach toys is nice because you will notice that it calms a baby and they fall asleep.

I would also say about 2wks worth of clothing in the first 6mths. Sometimes you just don't have time to wash everyday. DS1 was the baby who peed so much his diapers leaked a lot. Once we changed his outfit 7x's in about 6hrs. DS2 liked to pee as he was being changed by dada.

ERgo or MeiTai carrier is great for outings. Also if you practice at home you can nurse a baby up to 18mths and no one will notice. This is a life saver when we go for 3-4hr walks on the beach or Las Vages Strip.

Manual Pumps take a long time and are no fun. The electric ones are great and fast but spend the money for a good one like Medela. I had a First Years one and it hurt a lot. Buy a lot of storage bottles because if you start at 1-4wks you may have a lot to start with. I found it help to pump at 1wk because I had high flow milk (boths boys gained 5lbs in 1mth) and also I made so much milk that I felt full after a good nursing.

Boppy Pillow is wonderful. Not to over stuffed that the baby is to high but just right. You may still need to sit in a chair with arms in the beginning for extra support. The Boppy also makes a great pillow for long car rides and mama falls asleep. My 2yo still sleeps on his at night as a pillow.
    Last edited by purplepoet20; March 17th, 2012 at 01:13 PM.
    2007 2008 2009 2010
    2012 twin

DADDY wants

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't think there are many must haves for a newborn (I have lots of like to haves though!).

My list would be:

Somewhere to sleep (we use a hammock)
    Carseat
    Sling/wrap
    Clothes
    Nappies
    Boobs

I think that's it?!
    2005 2007 2009 2012

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    purple- all I see is in your post baby fall asleep here and fall asleep there lol You was so lucky! My babys didn't do that at all. Maybe is the car sometimes but really that's it.
    Oh yeah I need carseat and stroller too Lord I better start playing lottery lol
    +1

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd say a sling to carry baby in. When they are small, they are so light and they love being carried around, often is good to use in tandem with pushchair when they get fed up with lying on their own or want to be carried. I used mine ALL the time!
    2007 2010 2012

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My kids never napped after eating, even as NB!
    2007 2008 2009 2010
    2012 twin

DADDY wants

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If you get a sling read about how to use it right because if the babies chin touches the chest the baby can stop breathing. I was so afraid of this I never used mine. I have a Papoose that I used once for a few minutes but it would not easy to nurse in public.

A Moby Wrap is nice for NB and you can make one for about $10. But it can be really bulky looking. Good for nursing NB.

I prefer the Ergo with the NB wrap. It is easier to put on and take off and also to put a baby in.
    2007 2008 2009 2010
    2012 twin

DADDY wants

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh I have a moby wrap got it for DD4. How ppl nurse in it I have no clue, i can't.
    But i did not use it much because don't really need it in the house and if we go somewhere we must use the car so i only used it in stores really. I do like it and wish i can use it more.
    +1

Big Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Great tips ladies - Thanks so much - Ill be sure to come back to this to take note. Talking of slings.
    I have on order waiting for shipment for this one.
    https://www.sevenslings.com/index.php/cart#slings

And also an uddercover
    https://www.uddercovers.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast