Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sad Face Dr says my 2yr has aspergers

Oops 3 year old. My 3 year old doesn't have the same doctor my now 23 year old had. And was unaware my oldest has it too. I was shocked when he said aspergers. My sweet Andy is so lovable so different than my oldest. Not that my oldest isn't a good kid he is. But I just really didn't suspect it.

I can't help but feel sad. I know they can grow up to be just like everyone else. Or better after all bill gates has it. But I can't help but feel sad that he will need so much specail schooling. And what about friends? My oldest didn't have friends till he was in the seventh grade. I don't want that for him.

One thing I did notice about him as a baby and now is when I would go to get him out of his crib or ask him if he wanted me to carry him he never put his arms up. Sounds like a little thing unimportant but now I'm thinking it was a sign. He didn't realize your supposed to put them up. I'm not sure if it's the aspergers or not but he is really good on a computer and the iPad. Better than a lot of adults. He can get on the computer and log into games he likes to play. And on the iPad go from one game to the next he knows which games he likes and knows how to get them to play. Maybe he will be lucky and just be really smart.

I guess as a mom you want everyone to love your child as much as you do and want them to have a picture perfect life. Now he has work ahead of him just to be average.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    xxx
    Fathers Day baby!

Busy Mummy of 5 now working from home: www.oz.scentsy.com.au

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    (hugs) 6boys... my oldest has aspergers too. It is very hard, especially in junior high/high school which I am sure you know. I love everything about DS1 and I wouldn't change him for the world, he is such an honest, affectionate guy and I think he will grow up to be a wonderful man. Sure, it is hard, but he's doing well in school and even has a girlfriend this year! Just hang in there, it sounds like he is off to a great start. And like you say, maybe he will grow up to be the next Bill Gates!

I always like to look at the list of famous people with Aspergers when I start to feel down about DS1's future: Newton, Darwin, Einstein, Alfred Hitchcock, Jim Henson (of The Muppets fame), Thomas Jefferson, Mark Twain, Woody Allen, Henry Ford, Michaelangelo, Beethoven, Mozart, Hans Christian Andersen - you can see from this list that there is a wide range of possibilities for his future from technology, innovation, politics, science, the arts! There are a lot of challenges of Aspergers, but a lot of greatness can come out of it as well!
    Supermom to DS1 (1996) & DS2 (2009) & DS3 (2013) & my HT beauty DD4 (2015)
    -=-=-
    • Failed sway attempt in 2012... read my girl sway
    • HT cycle #1 HRC June 2014: 13 eggs, 12 mature, 12 fertilized, 9 biopsied, 5 normals (3XX/2XY) - transferred 1XX HEB AB... 4dp6dt BFP!!! HB 125bpm seen 6w3d
    • FET cycle #1 HRC Dec 2016: PUPO with DD5!! BFP POAS 4dp6dt!!! 1XX HB AA <3 <3 <3

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm sorry you had to hear such disturbing news but I would strongly urge you to get another diagnosis (and maybe another when he is four). My ds2 is severely autistic (non-verbal) and over the years I've gathered a lot of info about Asperger's and autism. It's being HIGHLY over-diagnosed. HIGHLY. It's gotten to be like ADHD is; every kid is being diagnosed with it. That's why I say be hopeful; you may just have a quirky kid.

If it does turn out that the diagnosis is correct, it's not the end world. He will have to work harder to overcome some social deficiencies, but he may be as smart (or smarter) than anybody! Aspies live pretty normal lives.

Have hope sweetheart! Ask me any questions you need!
    My awesome boys!
    (1988) (1991) (2010) (2012)

TTC my last one. A little girl, please!

Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow I didn't know there were so many famous people with it. Thank you. I do feel a bit better.
    And you are right my oldest is so honest and he's very against smoking and drinking. They are very firm in there beliefs. What ever it is they tend to stick to it.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Twin6, we all want the best for our kids as mothers, and I'm sure you're doing the best you can for your little Andy. He doesn't have to be exactly like his older brother; perhaps he will make good friends with children at his special school? He sounds like a sweet kid even if it will be hard.
    '04 '07 '10

After ages of praying for a sister for DD, I am proud to announce the birth of my twin baby GIRLS born Oct 31st.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins6boysinall View Post
    Wow I didn't know there were so many famous people with it. Thank you. I do feel a bit better.
    And you are right my oldest is so honest and he's very against smoking and drinking. They are very firm in there beliefs. What ever it is they tend to stick to it.
    Sounds like you did a good job with your oldest.
    '04 '07 '10

After ages of praying for a sister for DD, I am proud to announce the birth of my twin baby GIRLS born Oct 31st.

Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My dh and I try hard not to favor any of the boys or to say things that make one sound better than the others but we both said Andy was the quietest sweetest baby we ever had. He does have odd behaviors but he is so sweet and love able you kind of just laugh if off. I guess the biggest thing for the doctor is he doesn't talk a hole lot. He talks to me and dh and his brothers but only when he wants to. He doesn't talk to people he doesn't know at all. But I always thought that was a good thing. Lol.

Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    One cool thing for him is he has 5 brothers who love him. So even if he has a hard time making friends he has them. And there friends. One rule I have is your friends have to be nice to your brothers or they aren't allowed at our house.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    DS2 didn't talk AT ALL until just a few months ago... at almost 2.5 years. I was getting really worried, but he didn't show any other signs like DS1 did, so I was pretty certain that he was fine. I had him evaluated last September and we put him through 6 months of speech therapy. Just had a follow-up eval done in March and he's pretty much caught up now, no more speech needed! So, you never know, maybe Andy will progress rapidly with just a little push! Have hope, and I agree with Yuzu, you should get a second opinion (my first opinion when DS1 was 3 was that he was MR - I did NOT accept that diagnosis, I knew it wasn't right, and I'm glad I had him re-evaluated.)
    Supermom to DS1 (1996) & DS2 (2009) & DS3 (2013) & my HT beauty DD4 (2015)
    -=-=-
    • Failed sway attempt in 2012... read my girl sway
    • HT cycle #1 HRC June 2014: 13 eggs, 12 mature, 12 fertilized, 9 biopsied, 5 normals (3XX/2XY) - transferred 1XX HEB AB... 4dp6dt BFP!!! HB 125bpm seen 6w3d
    • FET cycle #1 HRC Dec 2016: PUPO with DD5!! BFP POAS 4dp6dt!!! 1XX HB AA <3 <3 <3

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast