Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Baby Carrier

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Your welcome ZB... one thing I feel I should note is if you make a sling (peanut type carrier) make sure it doesn't hang low, move a lot if you bend over with a baby in it, covers the babies face to much (1-2 inch gap to peak in is good), and also most important never let the babies chin touch it's chest... it can block breathing and has been noted in a newborns death. A receiving blanket or two should be put behind the baby. Folded so the blanket/s are from tailbone to base of neck, so the head will point up a little to see mama.

I really like the peanut type ones for newborns because it forms around the baby like the womb and they have good naps. Mine measures from the top of shoulder (the little bone where the should and socket meet) to the hip bone (not the top of the pelvic bone, a little lower). DS2 who is 33 inches tall and 24 lbs fits in it at the sitting postion but no longer curled up inside .
    2007 2008 2009 2010
    2012 twin

DADDY wants

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've bought and sold many over the years too. My favourites are the Moby for a newborn, a woven wrap for longer walks and/or when they get a little older (I have a Hoppediz) and a Connecta for occasional use and for quickly taking on and off for school runs! I couldn't get on with a ring sling and I'm yet to perfect a back carry!
    2005 2007 2009 2012

Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    We had a Babybjorn carrier, but only used it briefly because it got too small very fast (it lasted for about three months). Also, it does not give proper support to baby's back and neck and I've seen on some forums it can tend to stretch out the baby's legs unnaturally. Apparently, Ergobaby is much better.

I bought a ring sling from Huggababy for girl no. 1 which I ADORED, mainly because it's so easy to deal with and I can't be bothered with the lots of fabric and wrapping that you get with some slings. But I used it mainly for getting up and down the stairs and for when my girl was fussy, not for longer walks. She really enjoyed sitting on my hip with my arm around her, though, so it was a shame it was a toll for my back as she got heavier .
    2005, swayed for boy, arrived 25/11/2011

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The Ergo is great for back support, head support, nursing (with a tall 17mth old), and can be used on the back. It is easy to tighten the straps so the baby is formed to your body. The head cover supports the baby/toddlers head when they fall asleep. Putting the toddler (15mths+only) on the back is easy once you practice a little over the bed or couch.

I had a babybjorn with DS1... used it once for a 30min walk and when we took him out he had brusing near his privates. The carry puts a lot of weight in the thigh area and can cut off blood flow to the legs in most babies. The Ergo/Mai Tei, Beco type carries have the child in a sitted postion so the child feels like you are carrying them in your arms.
    2007 2008 2009 2010
    2012 twin

DADDY wants

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I absolutely adore woven wraps. I currently use Girasol, Ellevill and Didymos wraps. I do really like a ring sling for newborn to 3 months as I'm not the best at rebozo with a wrap. But after that, I exclusively back wrap and off we go. I've tried dozens of all types from Ergo, to Beco (my favorite ssc), to the pricey/htf work at home mom types and always just come back to a simple piece of cloth.
    Heather
    Mama to Gabriela (4) Liliana (22 months)
    TTC our son in April

Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree on the Moby wrap. I am planning on getting one this time around. I have a friend who absolutely adored hers!

Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a Moby, 2 ring slings, an Ergo Sport, and 2 Beco Butterfly II's. The Beco is my favorite. I do have plans for a BEco Gemini and PPB Ergo for the next baby

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Love my ergo. Believe it's the ergo sport? Haven't used as a back carrier though.

Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have the Ergo Galaxy and it's very supportive and our go-to for long walks in places the stroller doesn't go. I don't like that it isn't front facing though because I feel like DD gets bored just starting at my shirt.

I tried a Sleepywrap and hated it. Too much fabric and very overwhelming on my relatively short, small frame and I could never get it to really feel secure. Didn't love the Moby either.

I just got a ring sling but think maybe at 5 months I got it too late, because it doesn't feel very supportive and she doesn't seem to like it month.

I also just got an Infantino front facing carrier off Amazon. It was very inexpensive and I'm going to try it out and see how she likes it and whether I think it seems like it pulls on her front portions. If it seems like a success, I'll probably invest in the better BabyBjorn version.
    5 months

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123