Thread: Zika Concerns

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Zika Concerns

Hi All,
    Congrats on BFP and FX for sticky beans for all ...and esp your GD : ) My ovulation was on day 27 so I know I'm not as far along as my LMP would suggest but I have my '7 week' (which is really 5 weeks bc of when I ovulated and DtD) on Monday!
    I started this thread to open up some discussion around Zika. My OB said to wear bug spray every day with deet.
    I live in a northern US City so no local transmission but I want to take precaution.
    I'm trying to wear long sleeves and pants but it's sooo hot when I take my boys out.
    I haven't gotten bit many times this summer but I normally get eaten alive!
    I was doing 'Repel - oil of eucalyptus' before my OB told me to switch to deet but I was coughing up a storm bc it was so strong!!! It scares me that the fumes got to this sweet lil bean inside me.
    Anyways - besides the stress of waiting on gender now there's this horrible disease to be in fear of.
    Thanks for reading & id love to hear from others!
    Last edited by PinkPrettyPlease!; August 6th, 2016 at 04:43 PM.
    SAHM to two beautiful boys! 1 (2011) 2 (2013) Praying & TTC a

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Congrats! I'm currently 19 almost 20 weeks and the city I live in has an area where Zika is being locally transmitted. So far, baby is healthy but I am still going to avoid that part of the city. I have not been told by my midwife to wear bug repellent but I know that is what the CDC recommends. I don't go outside much since it's too hot here so I don't worry about it as much. I think as long as you don't travel to areas where Zika is being transmitted, it's fine. Keep tabs on the CDC's postings about Zika to stay updated in case your city is affected.
    '12
    '14
    '15 '15 '16
    🌈 '17 (LE sway opposite)

Dreaming of pink through HT or adoption
    FET January 2021: 1 HBAA XX - BFN
    FET #2 August 2022: 1 HBAA XX - BFP!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm not worried personally as it is winter here and we don't get the right mosquitoes that transmit the virus. They only have them in some parts of Queensland and I'm in a southern state.

I was looking into a cruise holiday but decided to avoid it as it went to small islands which could be risky (although we are going to Queensland instead but it is the Gold Coast which should be ok, I will be around 18 weeks too)

I would only use repellent if I lived somewhere with mosquitoes that transmit it as I prefer to avoid chemicals.

It is going to be interesting to see what happens after the Olympics with so many people traveling to Rio.

Sept 2008 Sept 2011 March 2017

4. Thanks PinkPrettyPlease! thanked for this post
    Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Ladies!
    Congrats on both almost being halfway!

Yah I do NOT like spraying chemicals on myself (especially this early in preg) but my doctor says its of utmost importance bc we don't know what may arise these last few months of summer. Uggg!!

I just really hope I didn't already do harm to this little bean!
    I was like the picture of health when I was carrying my boys.
    Now with this one (don't know gender but...) swaying: drinking every night, so much caffeine, no prenatals and generally crap diet before conception - and the 10 days of super harsh fumes repellent after BFP until I started using a mask ...I just pray it's healthy!!!
    Thanks Again for reading!
    SAHM to two beautiful boys! 1 (2011) 2 (2013) Praying & TTC a

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm not quite 9 weeks at the moment but will (hopefully) be 18 weeks when we go on holidays in October. I will have to keep an eye on the situation as with everyone traveling back from Rio in a few weeks it could spread it quicker.

From what I have read any possible risk of the repellent is a lot less than the risk of zika so it makes sense to use it if needed.
    Last edited by purple; August 7th, 2016 at 07:12 PM.

Sept 2008 Sept 2011 March 2017

7. Thanks PinkPrettyPlease! thanked for this post
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree and I just want to state that again - bug repellent has never truly been shown to cause issues with a baby whereas Zika has. Any of my swayers in warm climates, I urge you to douse yourself in the stuff during pregnancy and take any and all precautions because unlike 99.99% of everything we worry about, this is a real thing to be afraid of.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    A couple of days ago my midwife informed me the health department will be setting up testing sites for Zika around the state. I've told her I'm interested in getting tested just in case I have contracted it and am not aware.
    '12
    '14
    '15 '15 '16
    🌈 '17 (LE sway opposite)

Dreaming of pink through HT or adoption
    FET January 2021: 1 HBAA XX - BFN
    FET #2 August 2022: 1 HBAA XX - BFP!

10. Likes atomic sagebrush liked this post