Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Confused Febrile seizures - anyone had an infant/child that has had one???

I wasn't quite sure to post this lol. I was wondering if anyone has ever had a child have a Febrile seizure?

Last night, my little guy woke up SCREAMING so I brought him into my room, he felt like he was on fire so I took his sleeper off and took his temp. He had a high fever so I gave him some Tempra (he is 15 months and has only had minor colds, never gets really sick or has had a bad fever). I laid him beside me in bed and starting rubbing his back to put him to sleep, he closed his eyes then a few seconds later he opened his eyes, and he was looking at me but wasn't all there KWIM? I picked him up and he was stiff as a board, shaking a little, eyes half in the back of his head, drooling like crazy.. we could tell he was breathing though but not normal breathing. I was completely freaking out, we ran to the car and took him right to the hospital which is thankfully close. As soon as we got outside and into the car he started moaning and he totally snapped out of it. He just kept moaning. They told us it was a Febrile seizure, his temp went from normal to high really quick and since he's not even really had a fever before his body went into shock. Since we took him outside and he only had a blanket around him after being in the chilliness for a couple mins it probably brought his temp down and that's why it stopped they said.

They told us it rarely rarely rarely leads to anything serious, that it's actually quite common in kids under 5. It doesn't make him more likely to be epileptic or get brain damage or anything THANK GOODNESS.

Reading online, I read that kids under 15 months (he just literally turned 15 months) are 33% more likely to have more Febrile seizures when they get a high fever after they have had one already.

He woke up this morning his happy self, has been eating fine, drinking his milk. I can tell he's not 100% okay, but he's VERY close to it!

Has any other ladies went through this???? Talk about a TOTAL NIGHTMARE. I've NEVER been so scared in my life.
    Last edited by cvd; September 25th, 2012 at 01:50 PM.
    June 21 2011 - Ryder
    May 22 2013 - Hudson

Our family is now complete - no more babies for us. We didn't get our girl but I wouldn't trade my boys for the world, so in love.

Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm so sorry you had to go through that, and I'm so glad your guy is okay!

My oldest had a febrile seizure at about the same age. He is 4.5 years old now and has never had another seizure and shows no ill effects at all. It is a terrifying thing to go through, but it is common and not likely to cause any issues in the long-term.
    2007 2011 2014
    2009 2010 2013 (GD sway)

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    How scary. I do know one little girl that had one when a fever spiked.
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

Become a Dream Member to access the private forums

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Never experienced it with my kids, but my MIL is a doctor and warned me that it could happen as it's quite common with young kids. Sounds really awful and scary though. But she told me the same as your doctor told you, that it's not usually anything to worry about and there won't be any long term effects from it. Hope your little guy feels 100% again soon.
    2006, 2008, 2011, HT 2012

Cycle #1 @ HRC, March 2012: Pretesting FSH 5.7, AMH 2, AFC 19. 7 eggs retrieved, 6 fertilized & to GSN, 2 normal XY, 1 normal XX. Transferred 1XX. 1st beta 9 5dp5dt, 2nd beta 777 12dp5dt, 3rd beta 2823 15dp5dt. 124 at 6w6d (2 large SCHs seen). DD born 3 days overdue - December 2012.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks ladies!! Sihaya I'm glad to hear your son hasn't had another one! What a terrible thing to go through, for them and us!!
    June 21 2011 - Ryder
    May 22 2013 - Hudson

Our family is now complete - no more babies for us. We didn't get our girl but I wouldn't trade my boys for the world, so in love.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I had one when I was just over 12 months old apparantly, my mum was at my Nans house at the time and as she was a doctors receptionist she had some idea of what to do. She put me into a tepid bath to stop the convulsions and then they took me to the hospital. I had just had my MMR jab a week or so before it so they weren't sure whether it was connected but I haven't had any other effects since.

Fingers crossed it was just a one off, so good you were able to get to the hospital so quickly. xx
    DS1 - 4.5yrs DS2 - 3yrs

Swayed for a but expecting a beautiful

My gorgeous son has arrived!