Thread: Sewing!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sewing!

A thread for sewing ideas or posting your creations. I'd love to know who sews. How long have you sewed for and who do you sew for and have you ever done it as more than just a hobby?
    Or anything else to do with sewing or knitting or any kind of clothes making for your kids or yourself Or toys and crafts. I'd love to make a toy one day.

I'll post a few things once I can take some photos I have been sewing for one year now but have wanted to for at least 10 years.
    DPs sons 21 +13 11 + our 6 4 year old identical twins!

I might actually be over my deep yearning for a and it's an exciting feeling

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I used to sew to sell until the whole CSPIA or whatever compliance thing.
    Now I just make all sorts of cute stuff for my kids LOL
    Happily married 7.5yrs - Mommy to
    K-7yrs E-4yrs I-16 months
    JUST weaned in April - TTC a bow baby Spring/Summer 2015

3. Likes sherryvan liked this post
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    1+2+3 ~ I sew!

I have learned to make things I can be successful at. I just made this bag for my daughter's friend for her birthday party:
    Strawberry Bag Pattern... | Jacks and Kate
    I didn't take a picture of mine, but it came out super cute. The whole process seemed lengthy but it went a lot faster than I thought it would.

I also bought some Olaf (from Frozen) fleece and made my girls pajama pants. I have only finished one pair but they did turn out cute. I am almost done with DD3s pair.

Today I saw patterns for these cute quilts at the fabric store:
    Amazon.com: Simplicity Sewing Pattern 2935 Crafts, One Size
    They also had a peacock pattern that was super cute! It look like fun.

Their are so many ideas and cute things to make, but so little time. It gets frustrating how expensive material can be, but I still love seeing them wearing things I make.

My Gender Dreaming

5. Thanks sherryvan thanked for this post
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by wannabowbaby View Post
    I used to sew to sell until the whole CSPIA or whatever compliance thing.
    Now I just make all sorts of cute stuff for my kids LOL
    Wannabowbaby, what is CSPIA? Is it in the USA?

My Gender Dreaming

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    CPSIA compliance sorry. I had to look it up again. It's basically a set of rules that have to be followed to legally sell children's items in the USA.
    Lots of testing and recordkeeping. And I understand the drive behind it, but it's just not something I have the time to keep up with right now. Once I'm done with my own babies and they're old enough to leave unsupervised for more than 2 minutes I'm gonna look into it again LOL

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by wannabowbaby View Post
    CPSIA compliance sorry. I had to look it up again. It's basically a set of rules that have to be followed to legally sell children's items in the USA.
    Lots of testing and recordkeeping. And I understand the drive behind it, but it's just not something I have the time to keep up with right now. Once I'm done with my own babies and they're old enough to leave unsupervised for more than 2 minutes I'm gonna look into it again LOL
    Is that even if you are only selling a few things here and there as opposed to a business? I am a purely creative mind and worry about the book keeping aspects of things if I ever did make a small busniess one day :/

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That strawberry bag is cute Adia! Are you going to be sewing any little boy things?
    I like that quilt too. I have made the boys pajama pants from the same car flannel sheet and they all look so cute together. It is hard to find the time though. I wish I had more as I feel like all I do is parent and I'm getting a bit resentful. And OMG yes, fabric IS SO expensive. I have been lucky to find a few vintage ones at op-shops plus the sewing shop in my parents town recently had a closing down 70% off sale so I am stocked up well to last a little while. Soon I want to try making a first ever thing for myself from scratch. I'm quite excited but nervous about this. I have a simple pinafore dress pattern at the ready but I still can't even do button holes

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by 1+2+3boys View Post
    Is that even if you are only selling a few things here and there as opposed to a business? I am a purely creative mind and worry about the book keeping aspects of things if I ever did make a small busniess one day :/
    Technically yes. Lots of WAHMs get away with not doing it though. But I wouldn't recommend it as the fines can be crazy...

The Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA) | CPSC.gov

Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have cross stitched several projects in the past, crocheted a ripple stitch rainbow 'afghan' and knitted a jumper for my toddler. I love crafty stuff and have a sewing machine, though so far the most I have done is lined curtains. I want 2015 to be the year I start making handmade stuff as a normal thing. I love upcycling stuff too and have acquired a glue gun to help with that.
    Plus-size SAHM of 2 c-section babies DD1 Aug '09; DD2 Dec '11 chemical May 2014
    WTT for no. 3

Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I started making handmade things after I got married, and I learned a lot from it. I enjoy it when I am sewing. I made clothes and socks for my children, and I even used the embroidery machine to make some patterns.