Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Do you guys feel that the BBC represents all the various groups in the country fairly? I mean it seems like a reasonable idea for sponsoring public programming but I can't imagine it ever working here in the US since everyone is so divided, we'd probably never be able to agree. Is that an issue?

(I realize I'm treading on delicate ground here so I am hoping this isn't opening cans of worms for anyone)
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsE View Post
    Ah the dreaded TV licence van with its satellite thingy on the roof. The scourge of every student!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes I can imagine a lot of young people would try to get by without the licence. I remember doing all sorts of things like that in my college days, sneaking into pools to swim for free, movie theaters, etc. Now I'm respectable LOL.

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by atomic sagebrush View Post
    Yes I can imagine a lot of young people would try to get by without the licence. I remember doing all sorts of things like that in my college days, sneaking into pools to swim for free, movie theaters, etc. Now I'm respectable LOL.
    There were a lot of people rushing to hide their TVs in the wardrobe when I was a student! Obviously I would never do such a thing

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by atomic sagebrush View Post
    Do you guys feel that the BBC represents all the various groups in the country fairly? I mean it seems like a reasonable idea for sponsoring public programming but I can't imagine it ever working here in the US since everyone is so divided, we'd probably never be able to agree. Is that an issue?

(I realize I'm treading on delicate ground here so I am hoping this isn't opening cans of worms for anyone)
    It can be quite a contentious issue. The BBC has a duty to be completely impartial rather than representing people as such but because it's publicly funded I think it aims to create content that will appeal to the wide range of cultures, religions, etc we have in this country. It has multiple tv channels, websites and radio stations to do this.

Personally I have no strong feelings about its funding. I don't mind watching adverts and I'd rather not have an extra bill to pay but really it's just part of life in the uk - it's always been that way. It can be irritating when they spend a fortune on some programmes but then when you see some of the things it produces, like the Attenborough nature programmes, they are spectacular.

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsE View Post
    It can be quite a contentious issue. The BBC has a duty to be completely impartial rather than representing people as such but because it's publicly funded I think it aims to create content that will appeal to the wide range of cultures, religions, etc we have in this country. It has multiple tv channels, websites and radio stations to do this.

Personally I have no strong feelings about its funding. I don't mind watching adverts and I'd rather not have an extra bill to pay but really it's just part of life in the uk - it's always been that way. It can be irritating when they spend a fortune on some programmes but then when you see some of the things it produces, like the Attenborough nature programmes, they are spectacular.

I don't have strong feelings either. I kind of love the BBC as it's just so British, and like you say it's just normal because it's been that way all our lives. I love the royal family too. Expat life makes me miss all our crazy British-isms

6. Thanks atomic sagebrush thanked for this post
    Likes Kittybear liked this post
    Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I also love the BBC too! But I find I do watch more programmes on the 'advert' channels, including lots of American drama series (love them!).. and everyone is right, it just so 'normal' to us, like paying any other tax, you just accept it. I can understand why people who never ever watched any BBC programmes or channels would find it annoying to have to pay the licence fee though. Personally, I do find there is something quite nice about watching programmes with no ads.. BUT that has changed a lot recently anyway (I don't know about anyone else, but with digital recording now, I tend to fwd straight though ad breaks anyway! lol). I love Cbeebies for the kids, I like that there are not any ads for toys at the end of every programme.. and I find the programmes educational, and all my kids love the characters (even DS1 who is a bit older now), and I also love Eastenders (soap opera).

Oh and Atomic- you must try and watch 'Call the Midwife' if you can, you would love it!! It is a period drama based on a real midwife's memoirs, they started it from the 50s, but the current series on BBC1 is now in 1962 (they have a series per year, and it goes year-by-year in order of when the programme started). They explore how things really were back then for ladies having babies with issues such as poverty, domestic abuse, the medical restrictions of the specific time, etc (eg. I forget the name of the drug, but last year they had episodes involving the drug that was given to pregnant ladies to help ease MS, but it was later found to be causing birth deformities) some of it is quite heart-breaking, but they tell every story so beautifully... I think you would find it really enjoyable and interesting to watch. xxx

Oh and PS. I also remember the very first seasons of 24 were aired on the BBC, and they just cut out the ads!! Every episode was only 45mins without them! LOL.

8. Thanks atomic sagebrush thanked for this post
    Likes MrsTheatrical, Kittybear liked this post
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I started off watching it and really loved it, but then there was a sad old man she was caring for and it made me so unhappy I could hardly stand watching it!!! The episode where the woman had pre-eclampsia I was literally shouting at the TV!!

I love everything British, I AM British by heritage and I love BBC programs (I also watch BBC news almost every night). It seems much more balanced and fair to me than our US public broadcasting, which has a definite political message to it but I wonder if it's more that it all goes over my head haha. So I truly admire their ability to be publicly funded and yet be representative of lots of viewpoints...but again, that may largely be because I don't know the details.

10. Likes coralsky, MrsE, MrsTheatrical liked this post
    Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    LOL re Call the Midwife, I totally get what you mean, some of it is quite tough to watch... I thought of you when watching it a little while ago cos they were talking about the intro of BCP etc, I remembered how you liked to know about stuff like that, so couldn't help but think to myself- atomic wold love this programme!!!

I do find the BBC to be pretty impartial, but DH and my dad occasionally comment on how they think it is a little 'slanted' regarding religion/politics.. I try not to get involved in those types of conversations though, cos DH in particular just gets fired up, and I cant be bothered arguing over that type of stuff! (I think they are a little bit mad to care so much about other people's views/beliefs! lol. live & let live I say, as long as no one is actually harmed obviously). But yes, I agree with you that they are pretty balanced, and most people here would share that view I think.

12. Likes atomic sagebrush liked this post
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you so much Coral, and everyone else who chimed in!! I feel like I learned about something I didn't even know existed, which I always enjoy.

14. Likes coralsky, MrsTheatrical liked this post
    Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Just saw this article and thought of this thread...
    BBC's TV licence bullies are exposed | Daily Mail Online

16. Thanks atomic sagebrush thanked for this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast