Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

DIY Double Cot making??

As you can probably guess, space is at a premium in my house! To the point that our last baby was kept behind our bedroom door! Well the baby basket and stand was tucked away there in the day and at night pulled to the side of the bed But when baby moved into the big cot a chest of draws took the space behind the door so now there is no space for the basket anymore! Soooo........

I was wondering, how hard do you think it would be to make one of these??

lb children bunk beds.jpg

My Dad is a carpenter and I'm sure with only minor huffing and puffing on his part he could throw something together in a fraction of the price of these which retail at around £600!!! They only look like a few bits don't they? Especially if I replaced spindles with a solid piece of wood?? What do you reckon DIY nightmare or quite do-able??

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That would be a great space saver. I don't know how easy it would be to make, though? We have bunk beds--do they have those in in the UK? Same as the picture, just regular sized beds. What you posted looks more like toddler beds stacked up. Bunk beds do save quite a bit of space. I can store things under them as well, which really helps!

How much is wood where you are? I would price it out, and see. I think you could do fine without the slats, and have a solid piece in back.

Have you checked IKEA?
    Last edited by Hobbermittens; January 10th, 2012 at 01:37 PM.
    2004 2006 2010 2012

My BOY sway worked!! THANK YOU GENDER DREAMING!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yep we have bunk beds We have a full sized set for the girls to share. I was thinking that if I could get this smaller set made up, then I could transfer my curreny baby into the bottom, move my 2 (to be 3) year old into the top and just put in place of where my current 2yr olds toddler bed is Then I could move the drawers into the place where the cot is and give the new baby the prized position of behind the bedroom door lol!

For construction I thought that a solid back piece against the wall, 2 side panels, 2 base panels and then the guard pieces?? Plus plenty of screws lol!!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm thinking of getting cot bed size (or at least smaller size!) bunk beds for DS3 and DD when they're both big enough for beds. This place is reasonable (my friend just bought tripple bunks from them!):

Winton bunk
    2005 2007 2009 2012

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbermittens View Post

How much is wood where you are? I would price it out, and see. I think you could do fine without the slats, and have a solid piece in back.

Have you checked IKEA?
    I haven't a clue about the price of wood?? I'll have to look into that Surely Grandad would know lol

I'll have a look at IKEA, good idea!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by zanacal View Post
    I'm thinking of getting cot bed size (or at least smaller size!) bunk beds for DS3 and DD when they're both big enough for beds. This place is reasonable (my friend just bought tripple bunks from them!):

Winton bunk
    They are good!! I may even look into getting the set shown for the boys 8 & 5 Plus they say they make to measure so may be worth asking if they could knock something real small up for me?????

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm pretty sure my friend had her tripple bunks made to measure so I'm sure they could do that - though obviously you'd have to be able to buy the mattresses too!
    2005 2007 2009 2012

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Good thinking lol, or they'll all end up in with me

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    ... and how big is your bed?!!
    2005 2007 2009 2012

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by zanacal View Post
    I'm pretty sure my friend had her tripple bunks made to measure so I'm sure they could do that - though obviously you'd have to be able to buy the mattresses too!
    TRIPLE bunks?? How high is the top??

We have a set like the link you posted, Zana, and it is great. The one you posted looks better even, because the side rails go up higher. Ours needs another rail on the side. DD2 already fell from up there...she doesn't sleep up there, but she likes to climb up and playing up there. I can't keep her off it! It makes me crazy!
    2004 2006 2010 2012

My BOY sway worked!! THANK YOU GENDER DREAMING!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast