Page 42 of 54 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisingGentlemen3 View Post
    There are probably some tricks to not tear or get an episiotomy but I don't believe epidurals cause you to tear more. I tore with my ds1 with no epi. Surprisingly he was my smallest and I tore the most with him. Only needed 2 or 3 stitches with each of my other ds and had a working epidural with them. Maybe it just depends on the woman too
    Does it also depend on how your body reacts to the epidural.
    My sister and Mum have had 4 between them and both needed forceps and help.
    They said they couldn't feel anything to push.
    Theyre both super senisitve to even Tylenol!
    Reading your experience of still being able to feel to push, makes me wonder if the negative stories of epidurals are from women who were given too much, or are sensitive to it ?
    Pregnant again -ramzi/skull/US tech opinion at 13+3 says will find out at next scan

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I just want to let everyone know that epidurals don't always take all the pain away. Some people (sadly, ME!) they just don't work that well for - they are spotty and you may still hurt in some places. No one ever told me that and so it was really a bad shock when they didn't work for me. This ended up with the docs turning up the medicine so far I had a very hard time pushing. So just go in knowing that for some people they work ideally and for others you may still feel some pain.

RE tearing, while intuitively it makes sense that if you can't feel anything you would push harder but in my experience having both epidurals and natural births, when it's time to push, you want to push so badly that you don't stop for anything LOL. The stitches were no big deal to me I had some with an epidural birth and some with a natural birth and then some I didn't need any.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

3. Thanks 4blue2pink thanked for this post
    Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by atomic sagebrush View Post
    I just want to let everyone know that epidurals don't always take all the pain away. Some people (sadly, ME!) they just don't work that well for - they are spotty and you may still hurt in some places. No one ever told me that and so it was really a bad shock when they didn't work for me. This ended up with the docs turning up the medicine so far I had a very hard time pushing. So just go in knowing that for some people they work ideally and for others you may still feel some pain.

RE tearing, while intuitively it makes sense that if you can't feel anything you would push harder but in my experience having both epidurals and natural births, when it's time to push, you want to push so badly that you don't stop for anything LOL. The stitches were no big deal to me I had some with an epidural birth and some with a natural birth and then some I didn't need any.
    thankyou for sharing your experience i have heard about epidurals being patchy for some women, even that for some it worked on one side of their body but not the other!!
    now 6blue5pink

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisingGentlemen3 View Post
    Epidurals take all the pain but you still feel pressure/urge to push if they're done right. I was watching a movie when the nurse checked me with ds2 and said I was ready to go. When she left to get the Dr I had the urge to push so I still felt it well enough to be able to push easily. I've never pushed longer than 20 mins with or without an epidural
    it sounds like the epidural really works well for you so you basically feel everything except the pain? thats really interesting!! i (wrongly) assumed you would be totally numb from your chest down and feel absolutely nothing.
    now 6blue5pink

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsSparkles View Post
    What did you do to avoid tears if you dont mind me asking.
    My friend just got a 1st degree from an instrument being pulled out incorrectly.
    She actually had a section so is upset that she has stitches in both the abnominal and downstairs department
    Ive heard that epidural can make tearing more likely, and coached pushing.
    This will be my first natural delivery (if it goes to plan).
    Would love to avoid stitches
    Hi MrsSparkles
    that is awful for your friend i didnt realize that they put anything down there during a c-section?!
    for me, ive not really done anything to prevent it other than perineal massage (im not sure it makes a difference but after 7 tear free birth's im not willing to take the chance!!) ive had all my babies at home (most in water) never had any sort of coached pushing and all birth's have been completely "hands off" probably not much help but thats all i can offer really
    now 6blue5pink

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by 4blue2pink View Post
    Hi MrsSparkles
    that is awful for your friend i didnt realize that they put anything down there during a c-section?!
    for me, ive not really done anything to prevent it other than perineal massage (im not sure it makes a difference but after 7 tear free birth's im not willing to take the chance!!) ive had all my babies at home (most in water) never had any sort of coached pushing and all birth's have been completely "hands off" probably not much help but thats all i can offer really
    Oh wow, I'm trying for a home water birth too.
    How amazing that you have had such success.
    Can i ask what oil you use for the massage, what week you start from?

My friend tried for a VBAC but had back2back labour so they told her she needed an epidural.
    They then wanted to monitor baby with a clip on the head.
    She said because she had the epidural she was so numb, they had to lift her into stirrups, and they used some instruments to try and get the clip in.
    Good thing is she felt no tear until after the section that was for failure to progress.
    She started to go backwards all the way to 2cm from 5cm.
    Sounds terrible, but she is being positive
    Pregnant again -ramzi/skull/US tech opinion at 13+3 says will find out at next scan

Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by 4blue2pink View Post
    thankyou for sharing your experience i have heard about epidurals being patchy for some women, even that for some it worked on one side of their body but not the other!!
    I'm sure there are some where a perfectly placed epidural doesn't work on them for some odd reason but the one sided thing is positional and usually the anesthesiologist will reposition it but pulling it back slightly and rolling the patient to the side it wasn't working on.
    💙Ds1 2012
    💙Ds2 2014
    💙Ds3 2016
    💗Prayed then swayed GIRL due with my 🌈July 2019💗 IT'S A GIRL!!💕

9. Thanks 4blue2pink thanked for this post
    Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsSparkles View Post
    Oh wow, I'm trying for a home water birth too.
    How amazing that you have had such success.
    Can i ask what oil you use for the massage, what week you start from?

My friend tried for a VBAC but had back2back labour so they told her she needed an epidural.
    They then wanted to monitor baby with a clip on the head.
    She said because she had the epidural she was so numb, they had to lift her into stirrups, and they used some instruments to try and get the clip in.
    Good thing is she felt no tear until after the section that was for failure to progress.
    She started to go backwards all the way to 2cm from 5cm.
    Sounds terrible, but she is being positive
    that is awful, i hope she has a good recovery.

thats fantastic that your planning a waterbirth at home ive used a few different ones over the years, if you google perineal massage oil there's quite a few that come up, boots and mothercare both stock them online, id use one specifically branded for perineal massage (you dont want any type of reaction!!)
    i start around 35 weeks, in all honesty i really dont like doing it, but at this point im kind of superstitious about it as daft as that sounds!! and i know if i didnt do it and tore id really kick myself, if i tear despite doing it then i know i did what i could to prevent it being mobile and also using water both help to reduce the risk too, severe tears are rare at homebirths.
    now 6blue5pink

11. Thanks MrsSparkles thanked for this post
    Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow it’s so interesting to see how different everyone’s birth plans are. And how different each birth can be for yourself too!

I’m definitely interested in maybe trying water birth this time but idk how it might work if baby comes before DH has time off work... I’m going to keep everything pretty Flexible and relaxed as possible for myself....

I don’t think I’ll go for an epidural unless I really feel I’m not handling the pain well. I didn’t have any pain relief or water birth or anything really with DD1 or DD2.

With DD1 my labor lasted almost 24 hours and I was so exhausted by the end of it and I had a first degree tear. With DD2 I swear the whole process was4 hours start to birth, it was like being hit by a truck, I didn’t have time for an epidural even tho I asked for one. Luckily I had no tearing at all with DD2.

I’m hoping that this labor won’t take super long or won’t be 4 hours either .... maybe a nice medium length lol.

I’m so excited For all the babies to be coming soon! It’s surreal for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Likes Sillyginger liked this post
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That sounds like a really good plan!

Flexibility is the key for sure, and we all just want our babes here safe.
    So excited, this group will all start posting their gorgeous baby pics soon.

Page 42 of 54 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast