Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question for folic acid

Hi Atomic can you please help, been taking each tablet, a week after I gt a bfp, so is it enough or should I aid another tablet
    Thank you

Sent from my A7155_X4_mini using Tapatalk

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi ruu, I see atomic has answered your question in another thread.. Check out dear..

Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I checked dear, but vexed with measurements if you check the bottle its saying 500g per tablet so if the recommendation is 800mcg or more, how many tablets now? Is it equivalent? Sorry if I sound confused but I kinda am

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ruupau View Post
    I checked dear, but vexed with measurements if you check the bottle its saying 500g per tablet so if the recommendation is 800mcg or more, how many tablets now? Is it equivalent? Sorry if I sound confused but I kinda am

Ohh k.. Even I am taking 400mcg folic acid.. I asked atomic about 2 tabs daily as per recommended, will see..

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ruupau View Post

I'm not able to read the label on the folic clearly in these pictures.

You need to take 500 MICROgrams, not MILLIgrams, and certainly NOT GRAMS.

If that folic acid is measured in 500 GRAMS throw it in the garbage and get a different folic acid. 500 GRAMS of folic acid is a massive overdose.

Micrograms are sometimes shown in a strange symbol that looks like a funny u with a g, like this: ug only the u has a stick pointing down from it. It looks to me like there is that symbol on your medication, I just cannot see it clearly enough to be certain. In this Wikipedia you can see the symbol written down more clearly https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microgram

I ~think~ what the label is saying, is that it is 500 ug (micrograms) and if you measured it out to equal 100 grams then it would be 581,500 mcg. This doesn't mean that ONE pill has that much, but if you measured 100 grams of pills (which would be many pills' worth), it would be that much. This seems to me to be a very very silly and confusing label (not to mention that I cannot see it clearly enough to be certain) but that's what it seems to be saying.

So I suspect that this dose is indeed 500 mcg but I can't be 100% certain looking at that picture.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    And to answer the specific question again, even tho I did in the other thread as well:

1)If this is really 500 GRAMS throw it away.

2)If it is 500 micrograms, since you haven't been taking it before conception, you can take one a day (although I honestly prefer you guys to be at 800-1000 mcg minimum)

3)If you were taking a higher amount before conception (like the recommended 1200-1600 for pink, 2000 mcg for blue) then you should continue at the higher amount through the entire first trimester and then gradually wean off by spacing doses further and further out till down to the amount in your prenatal, then you can drop the extra.

Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sorry to jump on the thread but after reading it’s raised a couple of questions for me too.

I’m taking the 400mcg recommended by NHS here in the UK when pregnanct. BUT I noticed from this thread that as I was ttc blue I should be taking more? Is that right? Why is that?

I’m now 8 weeks, obvs whilst ttc I took a higher dose - I think it was about 3 of the tablets. But then I actually stopped for a while (I started a pregnancy vitimin but I worked out it gave me chronic stomach pains so stopped) I have been just taking a folic acid sup (& iron sachets as I feel sooooooo drained and exhausted) for about 2 weeks. That being the case - should I just keep the dose I am on?

Thanks x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, just keep the dose you're on now.

The reason I recommend more for blue swayers is because tea, particularly green tea, and some of the supplements that other sites recommend, are really bad for folic acid absorption. Like I mentioned above, my 3rd has a neural tube defect and when I conceived him I was taking 800 mcg and eating super healthy, but drinking ONE green tea a day and also some black tea. So I know firsthand 800 may not be enough and since IG also agrees that blue swayers need more than the standard, I used their recommendations of 2000 mcg for blue swayers and then came up with my own of 1200-1600 for pink swayers. Under normal circumstances I want you guys to take the higer dose through the entire first trimester and then and only then, gradually wean off. NEVER EVER stop folic acid cold turkey or even drop down in dose suddenly. This has always been my recommendation since day one of this site after seeing several blue swayers undergo sudden and mysterious miscarriages for no reason after suddenly dropping the 2000 mcg folic acid that IG recommends.

In your case, 3, you're already off it. Is it my preference the way you did it, no, but it's done now, and there's no point in going back on the higher dose only to have to come off it again in a few weeks' time.

Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by atomic sagebrush View Post
    I'm not able to read the label on the folic clearly in these pictures.

You need to take 500 MICROgrams, not MILLIgrams, and certainly NOT GRAMS.

If that folic acid is measured in 500 GRAMS throw it in the garbage and get a different folic acid. 500 GRAMS of folic acid is a massive overdose.

Micrograms are sometimes shown in a strange symbol that looks like a funny u with a g, like this: ug only the u has a stick pointing down from it. It looks to me like there is that symbol on your medication, I just cannot see it clearly enough to be certain. In this Wikipedia you can see the symbol written down more clearly https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microgram

I ~think~ what the label is saying, is that it is 500 ug (micrograms) and if you measured it out to equal 100 grams then it would be 581,500 mcg. This doesn't mean that ONE pill has that much, but if you measured 100 grams of pills (which would be many pills' worth), it would be that much. This seems to me to be a very very silly and confusing label (not to mention that I cannot see it clearly enough to be certain) but that's what it seems to be saying.

So I suspect that this dose is indeed 500 mcg but I can't be 100% certain looking at that picture.
    I checked the label again yes its ug meaning mcg that you mentioned Atomic thanks for clarity,
    I have been taking magnesium, calcium and omega 3 fatty acids soon after I gt a bfp so I should continue right

Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by atomic sagebrush View Post
    And to answer the specific question again, even tho I did in the other thread as well:

1)If this is really 500 GRAMS throw it away.

2)If it is 500 micrograms, since you haven't been taking it before conception, you can take one a day (although I honestly prefer you guys to be at 800-1000 mcg minimum)

3)If you were taking a higher amount before conception (like the recommended 1200-1600 for pink, 2000 mcg for blue) then you should continue at the higher amount through the entire first trimester and then gradually wean off by spacing doses further and further out till down to the amount in your prenatal, then you can drop the extra.
    I will continue with 1 tablet a day and thank you again,

11. Likes atomic sagebrush liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast