Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Breastfeeding Question

This is the first baby I have breastfeed. I know that when you breastfeed your baby is supposed to have seedy mustard color bowel movements. My baby is eating often and will eat for around 30 minutes or so when he eats but his bowels are mucousy and more green in color. They were mustardy color earlier this week though. Has anyone had experience with this? I looked online and it said that often this is caused by either a dairy intolerance or not getting enough of the fattier hind milk. I'm personally hoping that he is not getting enough of the hind milk because that should be easier to fix. My thought was that I would try to pump out some of the fore milk before I fed him so he would get to the hind milk sooner and get more of it at least until I know if that is what is going on. I seem to have enough milk to pump some first because hen he is done eating my breast is not empty. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    200120042007June 24, 2013

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have breastfed both my boys, I don't remember with Ryder but with Hudson - every now and then his poop will be a greener colour (not often I'd say 1 out of 10) then it goes back to yellow. Does it stay green for a while? I personally just thought maybe it was something I ate that made it change colour, I never thought to look further into it! Is he fussy? I'd think if he has a dairy intolerance he'd be fussy too with an upset tummy, but I'm not an expert at all lol. Just be careful with pumping toooo much because then your body will just produce more milk thinking the baby is needing it!
    June 21 2011 - Ryder
    May 22 2013 - Hudson

Our family is now complete - no more babies for us. We didn't get our girl but I wouldn't trade my boys for the world, so in love.

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It has been green since Tuesday. He probably poops 5 or 6 times a day but it usually isn't very much at a time.

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, it's because your supply is very generous and he's getting more of the fore milk vs. the hind milk. This will improve over time as your supply corrects; my concern with having you pump would be that you'll keep your supply higher and the problem will just continue - you dont' want to have to pump forever.

My advice would be that a few minutes before you are ready to feed, gently massage your breast that you're planning on starting the feed with and think for a moment about feeding your baby when you do. You should experience "letdown" and when this happens, if you don't feed right away, it can give time for the hindmilk to mix a little better with the foremilk and then over time, he will get a little bigger and start to drink more, and your breasts will get a little better at regulating supply, and things will balance out.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks, I will try that. He goes to the doctor on Monday, hopefully it ill be better by then.

Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My little boy was like this a lot when I was breastfeeding. His poo was often very green. I exclusively expressed for him as he wouldn't latch on so I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it. My health visitor was not concerned when I told her though.
    Five lovely boys and my princess Jessica! Born August 2013

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    is he nursing on one side or both? you could just have him nurse one side(pump other one) and nurse from opposite side. also you could just hand express some out first and then have him nurse
    Its A Girl!!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    bf poop does go through many colors and also affected by what we eat
    it's good he's pooping and peeing lots
    Its A Girl!!

Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    A dairy intolerance usually (from my experience) is accompanied by gas and baby acting "colicky". I would try what previous posters have said about the hind milk and if that doesn't help, I would eliminate dary items from your diet... Which is hard because its more that just milk and cheese... You have to read labels... I had to eat very bland and carefully with DS3 because of this. Also remember that it takes at least 3 days for things you've eaten to leave your breast milk.

Here's a site that I frequented while nursing my son..

http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/basi...milk-hindmilk/
    My family is complete!!!
    2/2000
    6/2003
    4/2011
    7/2013

Swayed for a

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Personally I wouldn't stress too much as long as he is peeing, pooing and gaining weight. Baby poo comes in lots of colours that don't usually mean an issue.
    You can try "block feeding" on one side only for 3-6 hours so he gets more fatty hind milk and then switch to other side for same period.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast