Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by DoulaMama View Post
    I do! Herbs, hot packs, tylenol....it's almost worse than the birth!!!
    Oh DM, I am glad you said that xxx Whenever I read about you ladies planning on going natural i always feel as if I'm a wimp for not even considering it, but I swear that for me, as all ladies will agree, that after pains do get worse but I'm noticing that at my level of babies the labor pains are getting worse aswell. They just feel like tearing! DM, have you been with ladies who have had my amount of babies?? Can they natural birth? Or have they ever mentioned that things seem to start getting tougher again? On my last birth there was simply no way I could have come up for air of that G&A machine!!!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Absolutely ELP- after #4 most women say it gets harder with each one. I've also heard that it goes back the other way after a certain number. Hopefully #9 for you! Have you ever fully immersed yourself in water for the birth? It's like night day for me plus for most women, if you hop in around 5cm, it speeds up the last portion of the birth After using a tub for the last 2 kids(one sunnyside up/face presentation) you couldnt pay me enough to not use the water. Just a thought xo
    Crunchy Mama to 3 rambunctious boys~ '06 :bike: '08 '10

Our beautiful is here!!

Felina Lilyanne was born at home ~ 4/12!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've not used water but would seriously like to Only problem is even though I've never had any problems I am considered high risk, so they want a drip thing in my arm which they don't like you to have in the water??, plus I labor alone and I think you need a partner with you?? I may have to seriously have a look into it this time though, hmmm!! That would be a great relief if the labors did start to go the other way again! I am looking forward to it though, just to see what happens

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by DoulaMama View Post
    Absolutely ELP- after #4 most women say it gets harder with each one. I've also heard that it goes back the other way after a certain number. Hopefully #9 for you! Have you ever fully immersed yourself in water for the birth? It's like night day for me plus for most women, if you hop in around 5cm, it speeds up the last portion of the birth After using a tub for the last 2 kids(one sunnyside up/face presentation) you couldnt pay me enough to not use the water. Just a thought xo
    This is exactly why I cried when the MW at the hospital said the pool was occupied at the hospital while I was in labour with DS3. When I had DS2 at home I had a tub in my living room and I floated on my tummy while leaning over the side on the gas and air. It was so relaxing (perhaps not the right word lol!) and good for the fact he was back to back - I even started falling asleep between contractions at one point (until I heard the midwife say 'she's falling asleep'!). FWIW, I don't actually believe the pool was occupied at the hospital. I think they were understaffed and didn't want me to use it because then a midwife would have to stay with us all the time - this is the case once you have an epi or are in the pool but otherwise they leave you more to your own devices.
    2005 2007 2009 2012

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ELP View Post
    I've not used water but would seriously like to Only problem is even though I've never had any problems I am considered high risk, so they want a drip thing in my arm which they don't like you to have in the water??, plus I labor alone and I think you need a partner with you?? I may have to seriously have a look into it this time though, hmmm!! That would be a great relief if the labors did start to go the other way again! I am looking forward to it though, just to see what happens
    2 solutions- say NO to the dripJust because a text book considers you high risk, doesn't mean that you are If you don't want it there is nothing they can do to make you have one. It's like everything else in regards to birth- you have the final say. Also, maybe find a free doula-tell you want her in the room but not to do anything if you prefer hands off birthing.
    Last edited by DoulaMama; August 14th, 2011 at 12:58 PM.

Our beautiful is here!!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh yes, in the UK you can get a trainee Doula who hasn't attended her required number of births for a reduced rate (I don't think free but I might be wrong).
    2005 2007 2009 2012

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by zanacal View Post
    Oh yes, in the UK you can get a trainee Doula who hasn't attended her required number of births for a reduced rate (I don't think free but I might be wrong).
    I would get alot of criticism of DH if I mentioned getting someone in to aid with the birth, so a doula would be out sadly. But the delivery room I was in last time did have a good sized bath in it, maybe I could just get in there? See how it goes? Then if its not helping I can always sneak back over to my trusty G&A lol! Can you have G&A in the birth tub?

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That's why I decided against it ELP, DH was quite put out at the suggestion unfortunately.

You can use the G&A in the birth tub and also in the bath if there's one in your room! That's what I did with DS3 because the birthing pool was 'unavailable'. My waters actually popped in the bath in my birthing room! It was quite a deep one and it definitely helped, I had DH use the shower head to spray water on my tummy when I had a contraction. The birthing pool is definitely better though - you can't float on your tummy in a bath lol!
    2005 2007 2009 2012

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would def. try to use something deep- covering your entire belly- otherwise the pain relieving effects aren't as good. The water is also fantastic at stretching tissues and many women will have no tears if they've spent significant time in the tub(even if you birth on land).

I know this may differ from most people's thoughts on birth but.....

Until my DH starts pushing our babies out of his body, he doesn't get to decide what's best for my birth. You can be guaranteed that if it were them going through it, we would not be making decisions for them. Not saying that you need a doula at all, just that hurting their feelings( in regards to having some help- to get the birth you want)shouldn't even come into play. It's your body and birth xo

Our beautiful is here!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Strangely, I've just had my sil round, I've not told anyone about baby yet, but I'm pretty sure that if I did decide to 'phone a friend' lol then she would be quite useful to bring along. Plus my sil on my DH's side, mum of 3 boys, asked a few babies back if she could sit in on one as with 3 boys she doubted she would ever get the chance to see a birth with no daughters. I would be more comfortable with sil 1 but she drives like a banshee! i would have to meet here there lol.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast