Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

How do you cope with others gender desire?

Hi all!

While I have some gender desire (who doesnt!) it seems to be made worse by comments from other people. Other boy mums will probably find that they have had the same experience too. My mother was so disappointed that my first wasnt a girl & then hardly said anything at all when DS2 was born. When I was pregnant with DS2 everyone was adamant that he too would be a girl & when he was born all I got was sympathy that I had 2 boys. Now with this pregnancy my mother in law has already started saying she is convinced that this is a girl & my mother who got a new dog even commented that she couldnt use my "girl" name as it was already reserved! I have seriously had enough. Most of my friends think Im crazy wanting another child (they dont know that I am pregnant yet) & they are all convinced that I just want another baby for a girl. Last week I got so mad & turned around & said all I want is a child without autism (DS1 has autism) & that really stopped my friend in her tracks. Any good tips or advice? Hopefully once we get out NIPT results back we will announce our pregnancy to our friends (but wont tell them the gender until the birth). I think need some good strategies this time to cope. Thanks
    mummy to 10yrs & 8yrs. 7weeks dec 2016 4yrs.
    After 2 failed sways we are going high tech

May 2019 IVF1 4 follicle, 4 fertilised & only 1 made it to day 5
    JUly 2019 IVF2 8 follicles, 3 fertilised & only 1 made it to day 6 frozen & waiting for us
    our precious was a failed FET .
    IVF3 1 day 5
    2020 COVID halts our plans & we cant travel
    2021 6 more egg collections yeild 17eggs in total. Frozen gametes shipped to clinic & 16 survive the thaw & only 3 fertilised. None to test on day 5

Jan 2022 this wasnt the plan.......
    Feb 2022 stopped growing & left me at 8weeks

2. Likes Bepan, atomic sagebrush liked this post
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Honestly, I feel like sometimes with GD no one can say the right thing. No matter what they say it's always the wrong thing probably because it's always about THEM and not us!

I agree those are all super annoying comments and I"d also find them upsetting but just to share, my experience was the opposite - I had people like my MIL telling me that she thought the baby was a boy or that I could only make boys or rolling their eyes that I wanted a girl - like it was bizarre or selfish that I did want to experience that and that everyone was rather bored with my feelz and would just prefer if I stopped darkening their day with my issues (which I mentioned like 3 times)
    So not only was it hard to swallow - any time anyone makes some comment that you then have to deal with it is hard to swallow - but it also felt like my feelings were invalidated. At the time I kind of wished that someone else DID want me to have a girl, even though like I say, I'm sure I would have been also highly upset by that too. (I'm not trying to invalidate YOUR feelings here!! I completely agree that it has to be very, very hard to deal with all that, I"m so sorry you have to put up with it!) I just felt like no one was on my side at all and they all just wanted me to shut up and have boys and be happy with that and have no emotions about it whatsoever.

The best comment I got was from my boss at the time, the only person who actively said she hoped I had a girl. I told her after my ultrasound and she said, "Well...CRAP!" I loved that. It wasn't like she was blaming me or putting her feelings onto me like your family is doing, or acting like I should just get over it or anything like my family did, but it just summed it all up so succinctly LOL.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

4. Likes kc15880 liked this post
    Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I wish people would just say congratulations and i hope you have a healthy baby without mentioning gender...this week ive had so many people saying awwww hopefully its a girl this time otherwise you will probably have another one.. my mil looked down to the floor and shook her head she didnt say a word and i showed her the scan photo which is really clear and she said aww is that a new puppy?? I swear she enjoys pissing me off i must admit i do hate the women shes the most miserable person ive ever met..i come from visiting her and feel so depressed.. ive told everyone im not finding out the gender as i know il be bombarded with txt's.. im trying to prepare for a boy result so i wont feel so upset because then il feel guilty for being upset x
    21 18 13 7 4 and our ht 10 months...

Swaying and praying for our

Our sway worked baby girl joining our blue gang in November

6. Thanks kc15880 thanked for this post
    Likes atomic sagebrush liked this post
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    ^^^^ I think at least some of what is passed off as gender comments are actually anti-big-family comments veiled by gender remarks and the puzzling thing is that this starts when anyone has more than like TWO kids!?!

People used to regularly have 4-5-6 kids and it is not extreme or unusual!! Let alone 3!! People need to get over themselves and not act like we are in need of drastic intervention if we have more than the officially approved 2 children. :/
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

8. Likes kc15880, ELP liked this post
    Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

How do you cope with others gender desire?

Sending hugs x
    Last edited by lovellcute; May 3rd, 2017 at 12:55 PM.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by atomic sagebrush View Post
    ^^^^ I think at least some of what is passed off as gender comments are actually anti-big-family comments veiled by gender remarks and the puzzling thing is that this starts when anyone has more than like TWO kids!?!

People used to regularly have 4-5-6 kids and it is not extreme or unusual!! Let alone 3!! People need to get over themselves and not act like we are in need of drastic intervention if we have more than the officially approved 2 children. :/
    I so agree with this! I was even scared to tell our families about this pg because I was worried about all the negative comments. Surprisingly, everyone was just happy for another grandchild. My mother did comment when is her granddaughter due...but she has said this the past few and it is a running joke. And I know from her - it really is a joke. She is just happy if I am happy and just wants a healthy baby for us.

Now at work - I know the comments will fly. And that is the reason I have not told anyone other than my boss and he is REALLY good about not telling anyone medical issues.
    me (42 ) DH (43)
    1995 (gave up for adoption)
    2005 2010 2013 (failed IG sway) July 2015 (swayed, lost his triplet siblings at 11w3d) 2017.

Swayed for our but had all . Our family is complete.

My Ovulation Chart

11. Thanks kc15880 thanked for this post
    Likes atomic sagebrush liked this post
    Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've been dealing with it by not telling those people that I was TTC/am pregnant. I'm holding off until after my 16 week ultrasound to tell anyone who made comments about DS2 not being a girl, who has wistfully sighed over my not having a daughter (other than a couple friends who I have talked to about GD), or anyone who acts like once you have 3 kids you might as well buy a bus and get a reality show.
    K 2012 C 2014 Baby C Nov 2017

13. Likes kc15880, atomic sagebrush liked this post
    Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks ladies, its nice to know that Im not alone with my experiences. I must confess now that I am a mum of boys I am certainly more aware of the impact on what people think are light hearted comments. Even my best friend who had twins for baby 3&4 only got shock & horror at her announcement. No one was happy for her at all. Perhaps we are all just too hormonal & take things to heart but our precious babies are just that - much wanted & loved regardless of what or how many they are!
    mummy to 10yrs & 8yrs. 7weeks dec 2016 4yrs.
    After 2 failed sways we are going high tech

May 2019 IVF1 4 follicle, 4 fertilised & only 1 made it to day 5
    JUly 2019 IVF2 8 follicles, 3 fertilised & only 1 made it to day 6 frozen & waiting for us
    our precious was a failed FET .
    IVF3 1 day 5
    2020 COVID halts our plans & we cant travel
    2021 6 more egg collections yeild 17eggs in total. Frozen gametes shipped to clinic & 16 survive the thaw & only 3 fertilised. None to test on day 5

Jan 2022 this wasnt the plan.......
    Feb 2022 stopped growing & left me at 8weeks

15. Likes atomic sagebrush liked this post
    Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by kc15880 View Post
    Thanks ladies, its nice to know that Im not alone with my experiences. I must confess now that I am a mum of boys I am certainly more aware of the impact on what people think are light hearted comments. Even my best friend who had twins for baby 3&4 only got shock & horror at her announcement. No one was happy for her at all. Perhaps we are all just too hormonal & take things to heart but our precious babies are just that - much wanted & loved regardless of what or how many they are!
    Hey kc,

We may be hormonal, but I personally find the kind of comments you have dealt with/have to keep dealing with super annoying and would be ever so angry if I had been in your place! I am a hundred percent on your side! Atomic and the others are probably right that part of it comes just from people being shocked at families with more than two kids (maybe it puts pressure on them that they are only having one-two-zero kids? And they feel like in comparison you are being less selfish or whatever, raising a large family, working hard?) Or sometimes people just say dumb stuff without thinking, or a combination of both.. Be that as it may, totally fight back if the comments annoy you!! (Plus side: it can make people think next time and they won't hurt another person with that kind of comment!)

Here is a coping strategy that works quite well, got it from my DH not for gender discussions but in general for dealing with comments that can be/are meant to be hurtful: throw it back in the person's face, as actually everything a person says is a reflection of what they think and what they are, not you. Let this be your automatic reaction stance, you can think over things privately later to decide how you feel etc, but ultimately in the moment you might feel good fighting back and shutting the bugger up. The way it works is to bounce back on whatever the person says and show calmly that they are the ones with the problem, since they are putting forth that sort of commentary, that you are not even in this discussion.

Example: Someone on hearing that you are having another boy: 'Aw shucks, that must be so disappointing for you!'
    You: 'Um, why would you say that? Do you think you would feel that way in my place? Is that because you have some unresolved issue with boys, or do you think you are generally overwhelmed with the idea of raising a bigger family? I must look like quite a hero from your point of view then, I guess?' (All pronounced in tones of naive, innocent curiosity.)

I am really sorry you have to listen to that kind of crap, completely unconstructive and not helpful at all. Take care, kay? Good luck in any case
    Happily married to DH
    Darling July 2017
    bundle expected April 2019! Confirmed Boy !!! Thank you Atomic and Gender Dreaming, thank you!!
    Here's to our happy bunch !!!
    again for May 2021 following another blue sway. Confirmed Boy! Thank you for another succesful sway GD!!
    again in 2024, bundle expected September '24. Seriously debating going team Green this time

To those who have everything, more will be given.

17. Thanks kc15880 thanked for this post
    Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh Nice, thanks for sharing!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast