Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Has anyone chosen Adoption instead?

Just curious if anyone here has thrown in the gender sway / ht towel and decided on adoption to complete their family instead?

I'm currently feeling like that would be a much better idea (because not only would I have a little girl to bond with but providing love to a child in need would be a wonderful thing to do).

Would love to hear any stories... though I don't think it's going to be very common here !

Thanks x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes atomic sagebrush liked this post
    IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It is an interesting question. I have several friends that have adopted after having biological children of their own. All of them have adopted from countries that are less fortunate because they have been led/called to do so.

I think the underlying desire/need from the majority of women on here is different than people that are led to adopt after they are finished having biological children. Adoption is also expensive and a long road so it isn't necessarily an easier path. I DO think adoption is a great option for anyone because there are so many children all over the globe that would love to be cared for and part of a family. I think it may be overwhelming to many to navigate adoption and intimidating to get started. Local churches are a great resource and there are great foster programs in the US that can be a vehicle for adoption too.

Great question though.
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

Become a Dream Member to access the private forums

4. Thanks frankie2017 thanked for this post
    Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    A poster named Luvmyboys did. http://genderdreaming.com/forum/ht-f...rs-trying.html I was inspired by her story. After years of failed sways and multiple HT cycles, I'm going for my girl via egg donation. I like that, if we are lucky enough for it to work, our baby will be a part of my husband at least. But I think adoption is a wonderful idea as well. Embryo adoption is a possibility also.

6. Likes atomic sagebrush liked this post
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would have loved to adopt, felt and still feel very called on to do it, we looked into it extensively before we had our 3rd, but financially was not something we were able to do. I actually know several swayers who would have happily adopted but there are such stringent rules and it's exorbitantly expensive that they threw in the towel with it.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

8. Likes Shannshaff, trifecta liked this post
    Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by atomic sagebrush View Post
    I would have loved to adopt, felt and still feel very called on to do it, we looked into it extensively before we had our 3rd, but financially was not something we were able to do. I actually know several swayers who would have happily adopted but there are such stringent rules and it's exorbitantly expensive that they threw in the towel with it.
    Interesting .. I think it must be easier here in Australia. Nsw just had some kind of reform to make it easier again as so many kids were trapped in foster care ongoingly. It's only a few thousand here. Though heaps more for overseas - $10k aud ish..

10. Likes atomic sagebrush liked this post
    Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazebogirl View Post
    A poster named Luvmyboys did. http://genderdreaming.com/forum/ht-f...rs-trying.html I was inspired by her story. After years of failed sways and multiple HT cycles, I'm going for my girl via egg donation. I like that, if we are lucky enough for it to work, our baby will be a part of my husband at least. But I think adoption is a wonderful idea as well. Embryo adoption is a possibility also.
    Ah you know I just came across this before and it made me very happy ! Lovely story to hear.

12. Likes atomic sagebrush liked this post
    Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    We did a little preliminary research on adoption but it was just too expensive. We have two children and can't spend that kind of money when it could go into their college funds.

We are still considering fostering or adopting from the foster care system.

14. Likes atomic sagebrush, frankie2017 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I know this is an old thread but just wanted to chime in since we did consider adoption. However, for us in Canada we would never have been chosen for infant adoptions because birth parents almost always choose couples with no kids. We could have gone the foster route for kids in the system but the kids would've almost certainly been older and might have a lot of behavioural/trauma problems we weren't comfortable dealing with. We were also concerned about how fair or risky this would be to our boys. And then there was the risk of heartbreak since where we live it takes a VERY long time for birthparents to lose their rights even if abusive, and blood family can always trump adoptive families in claiming the children and these claims can be allowed for years. I just couldn't imagine falling in love with a child and emotionally feeling like a parent and losing them after 1-2 years of having them with us.

There are rarely infants in the foster system, and if there were they are likely to come with issues like FAS and other disabilities which we also felt ill equipped to handle.

We looked briefly at international adoptions but a LOT of countries (especially China) have closed major programs so the availability of overseas adoptions, especially for babies, is very very limited. The only program open from China for example are babies/toddlers with special needs and disabilities. We did consider that for awhile, but in the end decided that we weren't sure we could handle it, and even if we could we'd be looking at adoption/travel fees of $30k-50k and also it takes something like 3-5 years to work your way through the bureaucracy. It just didn't seem reasonable for us.

Thankfully we were blessed with our little girl in the end, but even if we weren't the adoption route just wasn't going to happen for us.
    Last edited by LacePrincess; September 25th, 2017 at 05:28 PM.
    Me (38) and DH (38)

SAHM military momma to DS1 (2004), DS2 (who's all boy but loves to dance, though not in a tutu!) (2006), DS3 (2009), and our rainbow baby girl DD1 (2017)

early m/c Jan 2013

Cycle #1 @ HRC (Oct 2014) - 6 retrieved, 4 mature, 3 fertilized and biopsied. 1XX and 1XY abnormal. 1XX no DNA found, rebiopsied and found normal, frozen.
    FET attempt #1 (Nov 2014) - cancelled due to functional cyst. FET attempt #2 (Jan 30, 2015) - NT. Remaining embie failed to thaw.

May 2015 - started infertility treatments at OFC. Femara 2.5mg
    July 2015 - BFP after second round of Femara. Aug 4 2015 - 6w4d
    Dec 21 2015 - mmc 7w1d

Apr 2016 - IVF Cycle #2. Converted to IUI because of uneven response and leading follicles.
    Apr 19, 2016 - IUI with 3 mature follicles (2 right, 1 left), post wash: 17mil, 94% motility and 89% rapid motility. BFN.

June 3, 2016 - 5mg Femara cycle. 5w.
    Sep 1, 2016 - 5mg Femara cycle. 8w.

Our rainbow baby girl arrived on Mon Aug 28, 2017 - "After every storm comes a rainbow". We are so thankful and grateful for every moment.

16. Thanks atomic sagebrush thanked for this post
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you for laying all that out so eloquently Lace.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

18. Thanks LacePrincess thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by atomic sagebrush View Post
    Thank you for laying all that out so eloquently Lace.
    It just irritates me to no end when people say "just adopt" - it's not that easy!! I'd say it's nothing like adopting a puppy from a shelter, but honestly even adopting a puppy is hard where we are LMAO.

The Ontario adoption system is well known to be pretty broken though, which is super sad for the kids especially. There are some amazing potential adoptive parents out there who end up giving up after spending years and years in the bureaucracy spending thousands only to have kids they're interested in "lost" in the system until they age out. Such a tragedy in so many ways.

To put it into perspective, for $30-50k we could've also done a guaranteed live birth embryo adoption program, or we could've adopted 3-5 PGS gender tested embryos from Nexus (HRC's egg donor branch). Adoption is not the "easy" OR cheap way to parenthood people think it is. The biggest issue really was that you are inheriting some potentially very difficult issues. Physical disability or even Downs are a known quantity and not so bad for us. But the stories of adoptive families from overseas kids who ended up with major attachment disorders scared the bejeezus out of us. As they say, sometimes love isn't enough and some forms of abuse or neglect in the first few years of life can really create some major psychological issues that no rehab or loving family can fix.
    Me (38) and DH (38)

SAHM military momma to DS1 (2004), DS2 (who's all boy but loves to dance, though not in a tutu!) (2006), DS3 (2009), and our rainbow baby girl DD1 (2017)

early m/c Jan 2013

Cycle #1 @ HRC (Oct 2014) - 6 retrieved, 4 mature, 3 fertilized and biopsied. 1XX and 1XY abnormal. 1XX no DNA found, rebiopsied and found normal, frozen.
    FET attempt #1 (Nov 2014) - cancelled due to functional cyst. FET attempt #2 (Jan 30, 2015) - NT. Remaining embie failed to thaw.

May 2015 - started infertility treatments at OFC. Femara 2.5mg
    July 2015 - BFP after second round of Femara. Aug 4 2015 - 6w4d
    Dec 21 2015 - mmc 7w1d

Apr 2016 - IVF Cycle #2. Converted to IUI because of uneven response and leading follicles.
    Apr 19, 2016 - IUI with 3 mature follicles (2 right, 1 left), post wash: 17mil, 94% motility and 89% rapid motility. BFN.

June 3, 2016 - 5mg Femara cycle. 5w.
    Sep 1, 2016 - 5mg Femara cycle. 8w.

Our rainbow baby girl arrived on Mon Aug 28, 2017 - "After every storm comes a rainbow". We are so thankful and grateful for every moment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast