Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

A son is a son until he takes a wife.....maybe not so true!

I have been meaning to post this because I feel like because of one stupid saying, that mothers of boys assume they will be one day sitting alone in their house in a bathrobe with nobody to talk to. A recent magazine article by More magazine had some surprising findings.

More conducted an exclusive nationwide survey of 751 men and women ages 18 and over. They hoped to explore the parameters of eldercare. They found that most of us do plan to help care for our again parents but there were some interesting differences.

Here are some stats from the article-

Percentage who describe their relationship with their mother as "VERY CLOSE" or "SOMEWHAT CLOSE"- 84% of men versus 76% of women

Men ages 18 to 29 are almost twice as likely as women of the same age to live with their mothers

Men over age 55 are six times as likely as women of the same age to share living space with their mom.

Men in almost every age group were more than likely than women to report that their mother lives with them. ***

The study did fine that girls will take in dad- women ages 40-54 are twice as likely as men of the same age group to share their homes with their fathers.

*** The men did report that the daughter-in-law played a significant role in day-to-day care. Teach your men to choose wisely, ladies!

So, let go of that stupid saying. Your boys are just as likely, or even more likely, to stick with you through your twilight years and be there for you when you really need them.
    Last edited by nuthinbutpink; November 20th, 2013 at 09:39 AM.
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

Become a Dream Member to access the private forums

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    awww nice to read!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yup, this is what I believe as well, as I see it every day with my dad and his brothers. They take care of their mother with such love and respect.
    Mummy to a girl, born sleeping & two gorgeous & loud little boys

Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Lovely
    ds1 2008 and ds2 2010
    ds3 2012

with and due in August!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My biggest fear, but hopefully not a reality if this article is anything to go by. However I still yearn for a little girl to share the wonderment of motherhood with when she's older

Sent from my LG-E400 using Tapatalk 2
    2007 2009 2013 (My VBA2C & sway opposite baby)

So proud to announce that after many long years of GD our precious DAUGHTER joined us in June 2016!!

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Beautiful to read my biggest fear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My biggest fear too. My only sibling - my brother - has all but abandoned my parents, with no hard feelings but he is very involved now with his inlaws. My husband is one of 4 boys & none of them are connected with their mother at all, 1 is completely estranged from her & the rest also barely speak to her. If it weren't for me my husband would have nothing at all to do with his mother. It terrifies me.
    Darcy 10.4.2009 ⚓Eamon 4.07.2011⚓ Felix 15.05.2015

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You could have been writing that about my husband too Primal It terrifies me but I console myself with the knowledge that DH's mum just can't be bothered with her four sons & it really hurts him. It's got to go both ways & I figure that as long as I maintain a healthy interest in the lives of my sons as they grow, then I'll not end up like my MIL.

Sent from my LG-E400 using Tapatalk 2
    2007 2009 2013 (My VBA2C & sway opposite baby)

So proud to announce that after many long years of GD our precious DAUGHTER joined us in June 2016!!

Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My husband has a good but not super-close relationship with his mom and I send the Mother's day presents, pictures of the kids, etc. I think about my possible future as a MIL but it doesn't bother me too much because you just can't predict what the future will hold. I'm not super close to my parents and I live on the other side of the country from them so I know a daughter isn't a built-in life companion (not a healthy expectation, anyway, in my opinion). I've definitely known some mother/daughter pairs who were unhealthily enmeshed, including my own mother and my sister. There has to be balance and it's up to me to build a full life even if it doesn't include a daughter.

10. Likes Determined liked this post
    Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Primalmamma, just curious as to why you think your DH and his brothers don't have contact with their mom? What is she like and how was their childhood with her? This too is my greatest fear you see

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast