Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Gender Selection IVF - 1 or 2 embryo?

Hi there

We are planning our first cycle in aug 2018. I am 35 and have 3 beautiful little girls. We are trying for a boy...our final child.

I only really want 1 baby boy...i dont massivley want twins (as 5 children scares me slightly...but if it happens im sure i would cope). They are suggesting transfer of 2 blasts....not sure what to do??

I obviously want to increase my chances of pregnancy, but i dont massively want to increase the chance of twins.

We can probably only afford 2 cycles at this.

Thanks x

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would not transfer 2 PGS tested blasts unless you want twins or are really ok with it. Genetically normal embryos stand a high chance of pregnancy on their own, you really shouldn't need to transfer 2 to increase your chances if you are at a proficient clinic. Transferring 2 only bumps up your chances of pregnancy by a tiny bit anyways and I'm not sure that outweighs the risks of a twin pregnancy if you are not fully on board with the idea of twins. Also keep in mind that if for whatever reason transfer conditions are less than ideal, you risk losing 2 of your precious embryos and that could mean having to do another cycle.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
    (2010) (2013 LE sway opposite) HT (HRC 2018)

Cycle 1 HRC Nov 2015: 9 retrieved, 6 mature, 5 fertilized, 4 biopsied, 2 normal XY = NT
    Cycle 2 HRC Mar 2016: 13 retrieved, 12 mature, 11 fertilized, 9 biopsied, 6 normal = 5 XX, 1 XY!
    FET #1 Aug 2016: Chemical
    FET #2 Nov 2016 Immune protocol: BFP! HB at 7 and 10 weeks. No HB at 12 weeks Miscarriage.
    FET #3 Aug 2017 Immune protocol: BFP!
    arrived May 2018

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I transferred two (graded AB) PGS tested female embryos. And I am only pregnant with one. I had perfect lining and there was no other issues.. there was no reason I shouldn't have had twins. However one just didn't stick for whatever reason.
    We were Fine With the idea of twins though. I would NOT transfer two if your not ok with the thought of multiples. They could also split.... It's always a risk with ivf.
    I also should mention I had 5x female perfect pgs tested embryos left so it was a no brainer to transfer two for my first transfer.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Georgia_Peach; April 17th, 2018 at 10:57 AM.
    Mama to 2 DS and 2 DD and 1 angel DD

Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would suggest transferring one embryo and freezing others? Where are you going for treatment?
    I am also doing my first cycle in July, and will transfer 2 but I am happy with the idea of twins, in fact if both don't take, I will be gutted. But I will freeze any so that if I get one embryo - I have the option to go back next year... or if it fails completely I have a back up (assuming I have embryos to freeze .
    I am going to Fakih IVF in Dubai and they have a lots of success that my doctor here told me that I could probably get away with 1 embryo transfer looking at bloods and scans etc and I am the same age as you but with 3 boys, I want to try increase first time success.
    So, perhaps chat with the clinic/doctors and see their recommendations for you personally, based on your AMH etc?
    Good luck, I hope it all goes smoothly for you !

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Transfer one and give yourself a backup in case you have implantation issues. Implantation is the least understood part of IVF. You could transfer two and lose both for some unknown reason with your lining.
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

Become a Dream Member to access the private forums

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I just had transferred 2 after dr convinced me, I believe 1 was not as great as the other but at the end I didn’t get pregnant. He also mentioned that there would be 5% chances of getting twins with those two embryos anyway.
    (2007) (2010)(2016; failed sway)

2014 surprise pregnancy which resulted in missed miscarriage

May 2018 1st cycle for

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Martha View Post
    I would suggest transferring one embryo and freezing others? Where are you going for treatment?
    I am also doing my first cycle in July, and will transfer 2 but I am happy with the idea of twins, in fact if both don't take, I will be gutted. But I will freeze any so that if I get one embryo - I have the option to go back next year... or if it fails completely I have a back up (assuming I have embryos to freeze .
    I am going to Fakih IVF in Dubai and they have a lots of success that my doctor here told me that I could probably get away with 1 embryo transfer looking at bloods and scans etc and I am the same age as you but with 3 boys, I want to try increase first time success.
    So, perhaps chat with the clinic/doctors and see their recommendations for you personally, based on your AMH etc?
    Good luck, I hope it all goes smoothly for you !
    Hey Martha, I’m also thinking of going to dr Fakih next time. Do you know what are his prices?
    (2007) (2010)(2016; failed sway)

2014 surprise pregnancy which resulted in missed miscarriage

May 2018 1st cycle for