Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Guide to Replens and RepHresh (Part 1)

Complete guide to Replens and RepHresh
    Guide to Replens and RepHresh (Part 1)

Ok, after reading 6 million (conflicting) posts on Replens and RepHresh, I finally feel qualified to write this LOL.

Replens and RePhresh are both vaginal moisturizers that are low in pH. They're made by the same company and are available in the US and Europe at drugstores and worldwide via the Internet..

Most swaying websites advise Replens for swaying. It has a superlow pH, according to the company it is 3-3.5, according to IG the pH is 2.8. Sounds fab right??

However, Replens was recalled this last fall. In light of this, I started looking more at RepHresh (some of you may remember the situation with Aci-Jel, where it was recalled and then simply never came back onto the market, so I wondered if the same thing might happen with Replens). I found out that RepHresh may actually be BETTER for swaying than Replens is. I'll lay out the details for both and then everyone can make up their own minds about which is better for them.

Replens does have a very low pH, so if you use Replens and then immediately take your pH afterwards, it's gonna look great. Very low. But according to the company that makes it, Replens contains pH buffers of 4-5. pH buffers are chemicals that react with low pH (whether it's the low pH of the Replens, or the low pH of your vagina, or both) to actually RAISE the pH to 4-5. The normal pH of the vagina is 4.5 and so that's what the company designs ALL its products to emulate. The company is not designing their products to sway, so NONE of their products are meant to lower your pH any more than what our vaginas are most of the time anyway. If you're looking for pH lower than 4.5, you're going to have to douche.

Still, 4.5, that's not too shabby. Replens is also a sticky gel and hangs around your vagina for awhile, unlike douches which wash away, leaving behind CM and semen to take their place. Replens may mix somewhat with CM and semen, rendering them lower in pH than they would be otherwise, but the pH will be an average between the two, not the 4-5 of the Replens alone. Anyone who likes Replens, it's a good option for swaying, especially with O+12. It does lower pH, no doubt about it.

The recall on Replens is over with and if your drugstore is still not stocking it, you can fill out this form, find out when it will be back at your local store, and get a $5 coupon. http://www.replens.com/outofstock/

Now - RepHresh. People used to use RepHresh for swaying back a few years ago in the same manner that Replens is used by some people now. It was abandoned when some enterprising people armed with pH sticks, realized that the initial pH of RepHresh is slightly higher than the initial pH of Replens (the pH of RepHresh is somewhere between 3.5-5, depending on who you talk to), not understanding that Replens contains the pH buffers that react chemically to produce pH of 4-5 anyway.

The difference between Replens and RepHresh is, that RepHresh is designed to BALANCE vaginal pH at that magic 4.5 number. If your pH is higher, it lowers it to 4.5. If your pH is lower, it will raise it to 4.5. That has scared some people off RepHresh because they think, OMG, I just douched with my lime douche that had pH of 2 and now the RepHresh will RAISE my pH back up again!

But go back and reread that first part. If your pH is higher, it lowers it to 4.5. You know what that means? It means that when the more alkaline EWCM arrives on the scene, which it will, because your entire reproductive tract is ALWAYS churning out more CM especially around ovulation, RepHresh will lower its pH to 4.5. It means when your husband's semen arrives on scene, RepHresh will lower its pH to 4.5. It will be a 4.5 party going on. WHO cares if the initial pH of RepHresh is slightly higher than the initial pH of Replens? Both of them end up between 4-5 anyway because the company designed them to.

The difference is, RepHresh KEEPS working, reacting with everything it touches to reach 4.5, while Replens gets diluted by CM and semen. The company even advises using RepHresh immediately after sex to restore that normal vaginal pH of 4.5, because some women who are prone to yeast infections or bacterial vaginosis, get a flare up EVERY time they have sex because their pH goes up from the semen. RepHresh is designed to prevent this jump in pH from happening by lowering the pH of everything it touches to the magic 4.5. Including semen.

Plus, because it's a sticky gel, RepHresh lasts for THREE DAYS. Perfect for a cutoff. Replens also lasts three days too, but remember it gets diluted by CM and semen and its pH WILL rise. RepHresh also contains acetic acid which may help sway pink (same as in the vinegar douche). Replens does not contain acetic acid. So for a cutoff, I think RepHresh is best. However, since we don't know how long it will take RepHresh to work, if you're going for O+12, it may be best to use Replens or Acijel to lower pH immediately, because the sperm will not be waiting around in the cervical crypts for the egg like they do with a cut-off.
    Last edited by atomic sagebrush; January 28th, 2011 at 11:36 AM.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Part 2)
    NOW - onto the directions. Using Replens/RepHresh for swaying purposes is not scientifically tested. I'm just reporting on what makes the most SENSE to me after reading about them. If something doesn't make sense to you, if you think of a better way to do it, by all means, please do what feels right to you. And let me know about it so we can improve! This is all about helping as many people as possible get their DG!!

Both Replens and RepHresh are sold in pre-measured applicators kind of like tampons.

How to use Replens -

Replens is actually safe to use every day, but the company suggests that for best results, you use it every three days, beginning the day after your period. It will keep your pH somewhere between 4-5 but can get diluted and made less effective, by CM and semen. One nice thing about Replens is that it helps with the vaginal dryness that many of the pink swayers experience and it's girl friendly unlike most lubes.

To use Replens for lubricant purposes, you don't need to use it immediately before your attempt...in fact, you shouldn't. That initial burst of very low pH may kill ALL the sperm. It works best as a lube when used some time prior to intercourse anyway (if you read on any other websites that it doesn't work as a lube, it's because they used it right before DTD and it needs time to disperse). IF you choose to use finger-quantities of Replens simply to lower pH and not for its lubrication, make sure you use it one day in advance of your attempt. Any longer and it will be diluted, any sooner and it may kill sperm.

The amount to use and how often is really open for debate and is probably different for everyone. Some swayers use only a fingertip full, applied near the cervix, every other day, but I personally believe this is based on a lack of understanding the pH buffers, and that the initial pH of Replens is lower than what it will be in the long term. Not to mention the reality that your body will begin to make massive amounts of CM as you near O and that sperm will be deposited throughout your vagina and you don't want any little nooks and crannies with higher pH. An applicator-full will get everywhere, not just around the cervix.

Also, the applicators are easier and more sanitary to use than our own fingers, cutting down on the risk of infection and the overall stress of swaying.

If you choose to use an entire applicator, I would do it three days in advance of when your attempt will be, NOT when O will be. So if you're going for a cutoff, do it three days prior to the day you anticipate DTD. If you're going for O+12, you should use it 2 days before O.

If you choose to use less than an applicator-full, you might choose to push it closer to your attempt - as an example, a person might choose to use 1/2 an applicator 2 days before, or a fingertip the morning of an attempt. Under no circumstances should you use any Replens immediately prior to your attempt. And DO NOT use Replens when there is sperm on scene, such as immediately after an attempt. (use RepHresh for that.)

You may want to play around with Replens in the months prior to your attempt to see how long the Replens-induced lower pH lasts for you. Since many of us find that we have very little CM and our vaginal tissue becomes more delicate after being on the TTC girl diet and supps (thanks to lower testosterone levels), you may find it helpful to use Replens twice a week regardless, to help provide moisture and for your own comfort. Esp. if you're going for frequent release - vaginal dryness when you're trying to DTD every day is hard on everyone's equipment.

If your pH is already very very low (less than 5) AND you have monitored it through ovulation and even your EWCM is very low, you are probably better off staying away from Replens all together and using RepHresh instead. Also, if you're using other things like antihistamine to reduce your CM, douching to wash CM away, and spermicide to lower sperm count, you may want to reduce/not use Replens because it will make it even harder to get pregnant. You CAN use Replens along with douching, but just make sure that you stick to the "full applicator three days before BD/fingertip morning of BD" idea.

So, Replens can be a great addition to an overall sway, if only by making intercourse more pleasant and doing so in a pink-friendly way. Plus it has the nice additional advantage of lowering pH.

NOTE - IF you are lucky enough to stumble onto the magical Aci-jel, use it exactly as you use Replens.

How to use RepHresh -

You can use RepHresh exactly as you use Replens, a full applicator-full every three days, beginning the day after your period ends. Or you can use less than that, less often. Whatever works for you. It will react with and lower the pH of everything alkaline that it comes into contact with, like CM and Semen, and even other lubes. And it will help maintain moisture in your vagina making it easier to DTD.

However, instead of stopping three days before your attempt, use 1/2 applicator 12 hours before your attempt, and if you choose to, 1/2 applicator right after after your attempt (yes, this will kill off some sperm, but serves the same purpose of spermicide, lowering overall sperm count, while also lowering pH.) Do this regardless of whether you choose a cutoff or O+12.

You may want to play around with RepHresh in the months prior to your attempt to see how long the lower pH lasts. Some people have found their pH actually rises on RepHresh, but this may be temporary and with repeated usage, it may stabilize at 4.5.

Since many of us find that we have very little CM and our vaginal tissue becomes more delicate after being on the TTC girl diet and supps (thanks to lower testosterone levels), you may find it helpful to use RepHresh twice a week regardless of whether it increases your pH a wee bit, to help provide moisture and for your own comfort. Esp. if you're going for frequent release - vaginal dryness when you're trying to DTD every day is hard on everyone's equipment.

If you're also doing things like taking antihistamines to dry up CM and also using spermicide to lower sperm count, you may want to go easy on the RepHresh and skip the after-BD dose...may be too much of a good thing. Also, DO NOT use RepHresh along with douching because it will react to the low pH of the douche and cause a rise in pH.

NUTSHELL VERSION - Replens: Using a full applicator every three days beginning the day after your period and ending three days before attempt will help lower pH while providing moisture and lubrication for those using frequent BD/frequent release. OR just a full applicator three days before attempt for those abstaining. A fingertip's worth every other day throughout your cycle may help lower pH, but will not help with vaginal dryness. DO NOT use immediately prior to or immediately after DTD. Test ahead of time for best results. You CAN use a fingertip of Replens along with douching because it doesn't respond to low pH.

RepHresh: Use full applicator every three days ending 1 day before attempt. If desired, use 1/2 applicator 12 hours before BD and/or the other half immediately afterwards, in lieu of douching. DO NOT use RepHresh with a douche as it will cause pH to rise. Test ahead of time for best results.

WARNING - From the Replens/RepHresh website:

Some women notice a residue or discharge after initial use of Replens (RepHresh). This is caused by the elimination of dead skin cells. Your body naturally sheds dry vaginal tissue that has built up over time. When used on a regular basis, Replens (RepHresh) will help prevent the buildup of dead skin cells and the discharge should dissipate. If the discharge does not dissipate, you may wish to wait an extra day or two between applications. While use is recommended every three days, every woman is unique and you may wish to increase or decrease the amount of time between Replens(RepHresh) applications to maximize moisture and minimize discharge.
    Last edited by atomic sagebrush; January 28th, 2011 at 11:39 AM.

Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow thanks for this Atomic. Really appreciate it! From your research it seem that repHresh is probably the better of the two then. I have purchased a tube of Acigel so was hoping to use that, but havent tested it yet. Think its alot easier to get hold of now - its in stock in all australian pharmacies and you can order it on line and they will ship internationally. Do you know much about acigel? Do you think its better than repHesh/replens? After reading your findings repHesh does seem to have alot going for it.

brand new. Successful girl sway. Thankyou so very much Atomic for all your wonderful advice.

Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Have been googling for more info on Aci-jel as i am still keen to use it for my sway but was disappointed that i was unable to find any information other than the info on the leaflet which comes along with the gel. Atomic, was wondering if you possibly had access to more info on Acijel which you could dig up and kindly share with us? Am very intrigued by the info you provided on rePHresh which has lead me to consider if or not i should use that instead. My CM PH seems to be at 4.3 and that is without diet and supps. Havent really noticed an increase in it at ovulation but havent had my hanna tester long. Im particularly intersted in the fact that rePHresh acts on anything it comes into contact with ie semen and will reduce the ph level to 4-5. With my ph already being low it is my Dh which i am more concerned of, however the rePHresh would lower it. However Acijel is supposed to be the magic gel (although have seen opposites with it). Apparently it was originally designed for swaying purposes which still makes me question if its the best thing to use to lower ph. Your opinions are much appreciated. Thanks

brand new. Successful girl sway. Thankyou so very much Atomic for all your wonderful advice.

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Supposedly, Acijel is far and away the best for swaying pink. Unlike RepHresh/Replens, it was designed to sway.

I have more research to do on Acijel and also Sylk which some have used to great success. I wish I could clone myself!!

It does sound like it Acijel now available again. It was impossible to come by for some time there.

Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Atomic. Can not thank you enough! Yes Aci-jel was impossible to get hold of for quite sometime and i think in U.S you can still only get Acid jelly which is an identical product, however its only available on prescription. At present Australia and new Zealand are the places you can purchase it and as i said alot of the girls from IG have ordered it online as they will ship it worldwide.

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Chacha sent me this link for a place to buy Acijel:
    http://www.nz-online-pharmacy.com/pr...nal-Jelly.html

Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Is it true that aci-jel always lowers ph or can it make ph rise in some?
    Mom to Sept. 04, April 08, ^i^ May 09 & April 10

Trying to convince DH to try for a tubal reversal baby girl soon!

My Ovulation Chart

Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    [QUOTE=crystal-light;6259]Is it true that aci-jel always lowers ph or can it make ph rise in some?[/QUOTE

Some ladies have found that Aci-jel does in fact raise their CM ph. I havent tested mine out as yet so dont have first hand experience, however you really need to try it out before ttc to see if it works for you. I have read that some people have found it to raise their ph on the first couple of applications and have been very disappointed, but then persisted with it and found that it eventually did the trick to kept their ph low. So even if it doesnt work on first or second test of it, its worth trying it out again. HTH

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by crystal-light View Post
    Is it true that aci-jel always lowers ph or can it make ph rise in some?
    Anecdotally, that's what some people report. I'm not 100% sure how reliable that is, in terms of, up inside the Fallopian tubes where the CM is being generated and where the egg is fertilized anyway, if anything we do in the vagina itself makes much of a difference.

It makes sense that possibly, when the small amount of CM that comes out of our cervix (the only part we actually ever get to test) touches the superlow pH of the Acijel, it somehow reacts and the pH rises in an attempt to help get you pregnant. CM is designed to be as sperm-friendly as possible. I'm not convinced that this rise in pH is necessarily a bad thing, nor does it mean that ALL the CM everywhere throughout the reproductive tract is the same in pH.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast