Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Can you take TOO MUCH Folic Acid?

Just wondering this. I just got back from a checkup with my doctor (who is British) and she says to take 5000 mg of folic acid every day if TTC. Atomic says up to 4000 mg if you have a history of neural tube defects. My doc says back in the UK they recommend 5000 mg for my age group (I am almost 40). So I guess I'm wondering if there any consequences to taking this higher dose, and if not, why wouldn't they recommend that for everyone, since FA is relatively inexpensive, wouldn't the possible benefits outweigh the negatives?
    Sept 2008 & successful boy sway June 2010.
    M/C Oct 2012

Is DE in my future?

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, there are a couple of concerns to be addressed. First of all, the fact is that high dose folic acid is a relatively new concept and we all can recall several instances where something that we were all told was perfectly safe ended up causing some horrific side effect. Secondly, high dose folic acid has been linked to increased risk of developing some cancers - it's not totally clear as to whether it's actually causing new cancers to grow or if a high dose folic might make already existing cancers grow more rapidly and then they become easier to detect sooner (they're even investigating folic acid blockers as treatments for cancer). It also may contribute to upping the risk of heart disease in people who already have it. Thirdly it can interact with some seizure medications. Finally, high doses of folic acid can mask a rare nutritional deficiency in vit. B12 that affects some people, esp. the elderly (but some younger people as well) so it's best not to randomly give everyone folic acid because it's got its own set of risks and for some people the risks are higher than others.

Some research shows that in addition to preventing neural tube defects and possibly some heart defects, folic acid ~may~ lower risks of Down Syndrome. Personally I don't think the data is quite there on Down Syndrome, but it's certainly worth a go. You're only on it for a short time. I'm not certain I would take 5000 mcg, that seems a bit much. I only took 4000 because I do have a child with a minor NTD, but then I wasn't taking it at all when I conceived DD and she hopefully seems normal (altho then again, my child's NTD didn't show up on ultrasound either). I think 1200-2000 is plenty for the average person, but if you do choose to take the higher dose, you pee out any excess.

Interestingly, when I was taking the higher dose, DS 4 has sort of weirdly shaped ears and teeth, also the skin on his bottom is a little funny. The doctor doesn't think it was caused by the folic and it doesn't seem to be a part of any larger syndrome but I did think it was odd.

Folic acid is best absorbed when broken into several smaller dosages and space throughout the day. Take at least SOME folic well in advance of your sway and then once you start swaying, you can increase dosage. Blue swayers should take 2000 if they are doing green tea, high sodium, Ural, COT, BSD because these things can block absorption of folic acid. Pink swayers should take 1200-1600 and higher if they have a history of neural tube defects or repeat miscarriages for no apparent reason.

Only take folic acid throughout the first trimester and then GRADUALLY wean yourself back to the amount in your prenatal. Don't just stop taking it suddenly. Don't take it into the third trimester because taking high dose folic in the third trimester has been linked to an increased risk of asthma in babies.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Big Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi! Here in Spain, happens the same tha The Anchor have said. Normal dose prescribed by doctors are usually around 4-5 mg /day. So, if I have understood you well, Atomic, I should take around 1 mg (1000 microgrames) and do it with a break between several dose. For example, 3 months before TTC, take during 1 month, then stop, and again the month when you sway? It would be ok?
    Oh, another question, please! So there´s not Folic Acid brands in my country with less FA amount, I´ll buy it from internet. Which one do you recommend? Thanks
    Last edited by mariposa; June 19th, 2012 at 05:31 PM.
    Mom to my DS and my baby girl

Thank you Atomic and Gender Dreaming

link to my sway:
    http://genderdreaming.com/forum/add-...y-attempt.html

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm sorry Mariposa, I think we're miscommunicating a bit. You need to take the folic acid all the time and not stop and start it.

What I mean to say is, take a little bit in the morning, a little bit at midday, a little bit at lunch, a little bit in the afternoon, some at supper, and then some before bedtime. Don't just take one very large dose once a day, take a lot of small doses throughout the whole day, because your body can only use small amounts of folic acid at a time and then the rest, it gets rid of when you go to the bathroom. You want to have a steady supply of small amounts of folic acid all day long rather than one huge dose once a day, then nothing for the rest of the day.

All the brands of folic acid online are pretty much the same - folic acid is just a chemical and can only be formulated one way, so it's fine to get any brand.

Whatever you do, be sure to continue taking the folic for the first three months of your pregancy ALL the time. After three months of pregnancy have passed, then you can reduce your dosage slowly until you're taking only the amount in your prenatal.

Please let me know if this is not clear!!

Big Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks a lot! Now I have undestand it correctly
    Mom to my DS and my baby girl

Thank you Atomic and Gender Dreaming

link to my sway:
    http://genderdreaming.com/forum/add-...y-attempt.html

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey atomic,
    I'm worried about going to my mat dr tomorrow as I know I will get in trouble for not taking a prenatal!
    I've been taking the 1000 capsule of doric acid but I realize it's pretty useless like that all in one pill (I bought it accidentally)
    Anyway do you think I can take that and a prenatal or is that too much?
    Thx!!

Had my first and only little girl Emmerson oct 19,2014 right on her due date!
    Hoping I stop calling her 'little dude, bud' and him real soon

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Why are you not taking a prenatal? You should start a prenatal once you get a BFP.

Yes, you can take both the folic and the prenatal. Take one in the morning and one in the evening, that way you have a bit coming in in the morning and a bit in the evening.

It's not that the 1000 mcg is useless, it's just not quite as well absorbed - it will still be helping you!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well I have a hard time taking anything as I feel so awful! Although yesterday and today so far have been close to awesome so I want to start the prenatal! I still will probably have to take it before bed as they upset my stomach on their own... I guess with an already sensitive stomach it's no wonder I get so sick with pregnancy! My last 2 pregnancies I just took folic for first 3-4 months til I could handle a prenatal... But maybe this time I'll get it in sooner, fx!!

Had my first and only little girl Emmerson oct 19,2014 right on her due date!
    Hoping I stop calling her 'little dude, bud' and him real soon

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh I understand!! Yes, that can be an issue for people. The folic is the most important. Just try your best to take them and/or eat a balanced diet.

Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've never taken a prenatal. Ever. I've birthed 8 healthy kiddos so far.
    I do always take folic acid though.
    Blessed with BLUE 7 times
    with (no swaying) due Jan '13.

11. Thanks atomic sagebrush thanked for this post