Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

weight loss/gain TTC girl/boy

DS1 I got pregnant with when I was about 105 lbs. DD I got pregnant with 3 months PP, so I had more weight on me (but I was also breastfeeding, so maybe that swayed girl? does it?). Then DS2 I was 103 lbs when I conceived him.

My personal history seems to indicate a little EXTRA weight sways girls for me, or maybe I hope that's true because for the last year I've had some extra weight and I can't seem to shed ANY at ALL (no matter what I do, and I've been trying everything *sad*)! I'm also in terrible shape compared to what I was when I conceived my boys.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Inky; October 9th, 2012 at 09:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    IMO, it's bodyfat %, not weight/BMI that matters. I've been doing some research because I'm struggling with anovulation and very irregular ovulation patterns, and I'm convinced at this point that it's my very low bodyfat that's dropping my hormones across the board and mucking up my fertility. However, my BMI is normal (20.9), so you'd think I'd be fine, except my bodyfat is only 14-16% and 22% is the minimum for reliable fertility.

OTOH, you can also be very low BMI and have very high relative fat levels and be just fine fertility-wise, even if not so great for fitness/heart health. You can also be extremely skinny and STILL have too much relative fat - hence the term 'skinny fat'.

So I really hate using BMI as a standard because it doesn't mean anything!
    Me (38) and DH (38)

SAHM military momma to DS1 (2004), DS2 (who's all boy but loves to dance, though not in a tutu!) (2006), DS3 (2009), and our rainbow baby girl DD1 (2017)

early m/c Jan 2013

Cycle #1 @ HRC (Oct 2014) - 6 retrieved, 4 mature, 3 fertilized and biopsied. 1XX and 1XY abnormal. 1XX no DNA found, rebiopsied and found normal, frozen.
    FET attempt #1 (Nov 2014) - cancelled due to functional cyst. FET attempt #2 (Jan 30, 2015) - NT. Remaining embie failed to thaw.

May 2015 - started infertility treatments at OFC. Femara 2.5mg
    July 2015 - BFP after second round of Femara. Aug 4 2015 - 6w4d
    Dec 21 2015 - mmc 7w1d

Apr 2016 - IVF Cycle #2. Converted to IUI because of uneven response and leading follicles.
    Apr 19, 2016 - IUI with 3 mature follicles (2 right, 1 left), post wash: 17mil, 94% motility and 89% rapid motility. BFN.

June 3, 2016 - 5mg Femara cycle. 5w.
    Sep 1, 2016 - 5mg Femara cycle. 8w.

Our rainbow baby girl arrived on Mon Aug 28, 2017 - "After every storm comes a rainbow". We are so thankful and grateful for every moment.

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree BMI doesn't mean anything. With my boys, though, I was low weight AND low fat. I was thin enough to be getting modeling offers at the time and my body was very tone. Both times I got pregnant with my boys I was basically in "the shape of my life". Tone muscles and very thin. Conceived DD when I was about 115-118 I guess, which was on the heavy side for me. She's the middle child. Breastfeeding might have swayed her, though.

I'm in terrible shape now, comparatively. I'm 130 lbs, the most I've ever weighed not pregnant or immediately postpartum. I've been trying to lose weight for almost a year, and I've actually been GAINING instead. I think it's nothing to do with food (because as it stands I probably only eat 800-1200 calories a day anyway, most days) but because I'm not as active. anyway, I'm in TERRIBLE shape lately, even have poor circulation and increased tiredness.

Mostly my stats this cycle are:
    -100mg Clomid
    -Frequent Release (we didn't want to lower odds of conception too much while on clomid, and 7+ days abstaining for one shot at O+1 wasn't working for us). We basically did FR from AF through O, but we missed CD 5 and 6 because DH was too sick to particpate. Then we were BDing from CD7-now (CD15, and I'm 99% sure today was O day) and we'll keep BDing until O is confirmed.
    -LE diet, but not strict. (My husband was REALLY annoyed with the diet thing because he does the grocery shopping. I can't even take over because I don't drive and he hates bringing peopel with him to the store, and he hates buying everyone in the house different diets when our Special Needs child is already on a diet). So, basically it was LE and NO BD because DH was annoyed with me, or be relaxed about LE and get the BDing/FR thing going on.
    -I use as many sources of positive ions as I can.
    I have naturally low PH (almost always 4.5), but I hear that's not a real factor anyway.

I know none of this stuff is 100% anyway, but I'm worried that because I couldn't do a strict LE and because no matter how low cal I go, I can't seem lose weight, I'm worried it didn't sway much at all.
    Last edited by Inky; October 9th, 2012 at 10:05 PM.

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi lnky,

I am not expert at this by any means as I am just staring my sway for ttc blue. You may have weighed less, but your muscle tone, plus possible high testosterone levels may have swayed blue.

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You are probably right. I was very fit. Now I weight more and I'm not fit at all. but no amount of dieting seems to drop weight.

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    We don't know and don't have enough evidence to say. All we have are studies that show that moms who ate more calories and moms with lower BMI tend to have more daughters. The rest is just us guessing what will work the best.

Unfortunately you can't really extrapolate one thing in isolation (as in, your weight when you conceived your daughter) and assume aha, that one thing surely was the sole reason I had a DD. I strongly suspect that being 3 months postpartum was swaying for you a lot more than what you weighed. I also think BF does sway slightly pink with plenty of exceptions.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The LE Diet and eating patterns still sway whether you lose an ounce at all. The diet and weight loss are independent of one another - they both sway on their own, it's jsut that in concert they might sway better.

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    thanks glad to know the diet helps either way. Weight loss just is NOT happening, and if it sways, it didn't do much with my boys, because I conceived them at my lowest weight during a very low cal diet/during weight loss. Of course, it could have been swaying girl then and I still had boys.

I know my mom and one of my friends got pregnant with me when I was very thin, but my aunt and two other friends got pregnant with girls with extra weight. TBH, I'd always thought low BMI must sway boy based on all the low BMI boy moms I know (and all the girl moms I know seeming to have a few extra pounds) so it was interesting to learn the reverse is true.

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Also...I do think some people tend to be like a pendulum when it comes to babies. One of my friends has two girls and two boys and her weight didn't correlate at all to the gender, and she has been a lifelong vegetarian and said her diet didn't alter at all whatsoever. She has practiced yoga every day for the last 10 years so her exercise routine hasn't really varied either.

So for her, she literally swung like a pendulum boy girl boy girl without changing much. But I guess who's to say if, even though she's been eating the same and exercising the same, her body fat percentage could have varied, or stress levels, etc. Or maybe some people just swing that way!! But for most of us, I do think our bodies play a role in the babies we carry!!
    Proud Mom to my gorgeous 2008, and 2010. Lights of my life!!

Pretesting "normal". FSH 7.5

Cycle 1: HRC Feb 10 2012
    Started off slow on 225 Gonal F, 1 Meno; increased to 300 Gonal F and over responded. 27 eggs received, 19 mature, 15 fert, only 8 to GSN, all terrible quality- only one normal XY. NT. Boo.

Cycle 2: HRC May 2012
    Took DHEA (only 25-50 mg/day), royal jelly, bee propolis, CoQ10. Antagonist cycle with growth hormone. Started off with 300 Gonal-F and quickly moved down to 150 Gonal-F and rode it out. 43 eggs, 35 mature, 30 fert, 9 to Day 5 GSN, 1 normal XY and two normal XX. Froze all.
    July 2012 - FET at HRC, transferred 1 XX expanding blast. ???

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Please read the following two essays for a thorough explanation of how BOTH bigger moms and very thin moms can have more daughters.

Nutshell version altho I really want people to read the essays, they explain it all - it's maternal condition that sways, NOT weight loss/BMI in and of themselves. If you're in good condition you're going to be more likely to conceive boys. It's just that both being heavy and being very thin/losing weight are ways to get to lower maternal condition.

http://genderdreaming.com/forum/gend...irls-boys.html

http://genderdreaming.com/forum/gend...ypothesis.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast