Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    lol do you have a special BBT thermometer? they go to 2 decimal places and you need one that is that accurate for charting because some of the changes can be less than 0.1C. You can buy them for around £5 or less on Amazon! I keep my notebook (for writing my temp down instantly so I can go back to sleep) and my thermometer on my bedside table so that it's to hand in the morning.

that sounds like a lot of CM then!
    are you swaying pink?

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh, a BBT thermometer. Yes, those make a difference! I will buy one and start temping for sure. I had completely forgotten about those.

Yes, I'm swaying pink. Wish I could be HT, but it's not an option for me right now so anything I can do to encourage my body to accept XX is what I will do.

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by fresas View Post
    SO helpful.

One of my questions in my intro thread was about CM and temping. I think temping is not going to be an option for me. I wake up a lot, I sleep weird hours, I sleep in a cold room, and I sometimes sleep with my mouth open.

The thing about the CM is that I think I have way, way too much EWCM from about day 8-18 of a 28 day cycle. Around day 19 is when it starts to dry up and get thick before finally disappearing. Because I have so much EWCM, it is hard for me to spot the exact day and time of ovulation because the very clear and stretchy stuff is hard to notice. I wonder if I'm having anovulatory cycles...
    First of all, once you start really monitoring it, you may start to see subtle differences in the consistency that you can track and begin to see a pattern developing that you can use to pinpoint O.

You may find that on the girl diet, that EWCM will begin to "behave itself" and diminish in quantity. If not, don't despair, a lot of people have conceived baby girls even with a lot of CM. Plus, there are the antihistamines to consider as well.

Finally, do keep in mind that timing is only one aspect of swaying at best and it's really been debunked repeatedly. I know it's hard to leave it behind but just know that it's not make or break in ANY way.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbowflower View Post
    you could try it and temp vaginally instead of orally. It's much more accurate to temp that way. You might find that disturbed sleep doesn't really affect your temps either - I have VERY disturbed sleep lately with a LO who wakes random times. There have been a few nights even in the last week where I haven't got more than a 2hr block of sleep, yet my temps are still quite consistent. If you can still take the temp at the same time each day and try to not move around much when you stir, that will help.

If you have regular cycles it's very unlikely that they're anovulatory. Perhaps you're just "lucky" to get lots of fertile CM? Temping is the only way to prove (at home) that you've OVed before AF/BFP shows. Normally you'll OV on the last day of fertile CM, so you probably OV on CD18.
    I agree with Rainbow (as usual ) It is VERY unlikely that with such regular, predictable patterns of CM and regular periods, tht you are having anovulatory cycles. It's much more likely that you are just very fertile right now (which is GOOD, right??)

Also, the "disrupted sleep" thing is mentioned a lot and it turns out that most people can temp just fine even when their sleep is disrupted. All you can do is give it a go and see how it works, it may be that you can temp very easily with no trouble at all.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks ladies!

Sorry, it is hard for me to follow up with stuff quickly during my work week because of the weird hours and other busy stuff.

Is there a reason that an ear thermometer may not be as accurate as a BBT thermometer?

I was reading in "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" that sometimes temping with a BBT vaginally will show a higher temperature than orally (assuming you sleep with your mouth closed). But is also recommended staying away from ear thermometers.

I have found the ear thermometers are pretty accurate with helping diagnose a fever more than a regular, digital oral thermometer (I know, different than a BBT). Hmm. If anyone cares to enlighten me, I would love it!
    03 08

03-06-12

Diagnosed with PCOS in 2009

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    ear themometers will take an accurate temperature but usually they only have 1 decimal place. Often when you see the thermal shift this can be more subtle than 1 decimal place so you need 2 decimal places, which is what BBT thermometers have

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Rainbowflower, thank you!
    03 08

03-06-12

Diagnosed with PCOS in 2009

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by atomic sagebrush View Post

11. Some swayers believe that if you are higher in estrogen overall, your temps will be lower than they usually are THROUGHOUT your cycle and lower temps may be a good indication that your estrogen levels are high and you may be in a good place to conceive a boy. Conversely, if your temps are higher than they usually are throughout your cycle, this may indicate that your progesterone levels are elevated and you are in a good place to conceive a girl. This has not been proven, but it is interesting to be aware of this. If you've been charting for 6 months and suddenly notice ALL your temps are a few decimal points higher than they were, this may very well mean your sway is working and your hormones are changing.

After reading this, I check my charts and found that this exact scenario is happening. My starting temp for the current cycle was 96.9, while the previous three cycles were 97.2 (Aug), 97.4 (July) and 97.5 (June). The temps remain, for the most part, lower than previous cycles.
    I had my IUD (copper, non-hormonal) removed on Aug 23rd. Could this be affecting the temps?
    Today's (CD11) temp was right in the same neighborhood as the temp in the previous three cycles.
    Do I need to do something to bring my estrogen down?
    Or am I stressing unnecessarily?
    Is there a way to share my chart to get input?

Thank you!!!

ETA: On CD 25 (of a 32 day cycle) of my last cycle, I got a stomach bug that lasted over a week and lost four pounds. I gained some of it back once I felt better. Since learning that weight loss can sway pink, I've been losing more weight and in total have lost seven pounds (since before the bug). Could the weight loss affect the temps too?
    Last edited by squamgirl; September 17th, 2011 at 01:25 PM.
    Loving my two
    So excited to add a to our family

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That whole thing with the temps - it's one of those things that's interesting but it's just speculation and barely formed theory. If you lose a little weight, you WILL lower your estrogen level because body fat makes estrogen, but you're right that might not be reflected in your temps because you'll have less fat as insulation. There tons of reasons why your temps might be different than another month's temps, even right down to things like different seasons.

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you Atomic! You have made wading through the sea of information much easier!
    Loving my two
    So excited to add a to our family

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast