Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Pap smear tests while TTC

Just a few questions... I've just had a letter through from my health care provider wanting me to come in for a pap smear test. I have a 27 day cycle, normally o-day is around CD13.

• If TTC, is there a best time during my cycle to book the appointment for?

• I know the use of condoms etc. before a test is a no-no, but if TTC is unprotected sex fine on the time leading up to test? Obviously I wouldn't DTD the morning of the test, but is there a recommended cut off?

• Is there any evidence of tests causing loss if very early pregnant?

Sorry, so many questions - have obviously done this before on many occasions but TTC, especially after losses, makes things seem a lot more complex!

18/5/13 (4+5 wks) 27/8/13 (4+6 wks)
    Jamie (12/6/14)

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would just ring up and ask before you go in or go in a a few days before your ovulation, my doctor told me as long as you havent had period/spotting come in 4 days after all is stopped, but it is best to get it done before you put that little bun in the oven Who knows maybe a bit of poking around up there might help lol
    Hoping for a pink rainbow!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Jamie (12/6/14)

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I thought the advice was no unprotected sex 24hrs before a smear test (incase his soldiers distort or obscure the results I'd guess)? As the other lady said, I'd cal the surgery and explain the situation to them. They should be able to advise you what is best; as the removal of cells could irritate the cervix (causing possible bleeding and swelling of the area) I'd say you don't want it too near to your attempt, but deffo seek medical advice! good luck x x
    2 beautiful blue eyed boys who both own my (3 if you count DH!)
    2012 2014

How strange it is to miss someone who has never existed... but now you are here, I recognised your beautiful face instantly, my little missing puzzle piece 2017

'No one knows when or how their story ends...' My wonderful mum 2014.

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd try to get in as early as possible after AF stops but before ovulation. They say 10 days into the cycle.

24 hours before test is the guide for TTC. But they CAN'T tell if you BD or not (unless you literally did it 10 min before) that's an old wives tale.

Here is a rather annoying article about it Prepping for a Trip to the GYN | The Dr. Oz Show and a better one here Pap Smear | American Pregnancy Association

to be honest, if you've had 3 clear paps and are in a committed relationship and trust hubby then I would skip it this year. I think yearly paps are a little bit unneccesary if you're young and monogamous
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    In the UK the usual timing of smear tests (if they have been clear) is once every 3 years rather than annually; good old NHS x
    2 beautiful blue eyed boys who both own my (3 if you count DH!)
    2012 2014

How strange it is to miss someone who has never existed... but now you are here, I recognised your beautiful face instantly, my little missing puzzle piece 2017

'No one knows when or how their story ends...' My wonderful mum 2014.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittybear View Post
    In the UK the usual timing of smear tests (if they have been clear) is once every 3 years rather than annually; good old NHS x
    Yep... This is year 3 for me - lousy timing, right? Was saying the same thing to DH yesterday.

Hoping I can get an appointment this month (ie. next week) or will likely be looking at having the test around or on my birthday. Again. Nothing quite like 'conversing' about birthday plans with the doctor elbow deep in there...
    Last edited by bunnywabbit; September 28th, 2013 at 05:41 PM.

Jamie (12/6/14)

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I do agree with atomic that if you are young, monogamous, and have NO prior history 3 years might be ok... But if you do have a history of problems such as precancerous cells, endometriosis, or PCOS I'd say yearly is critical... I have all of the above and skipped 1 year.. I mean how bad can things have gotten in 1 year right?! WRONG! I was scheduled for surgery 2 weeks later! So please keep in mind your previous medical history when deciding to skip appts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    2008 2011

Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    2 drs just told its safe while ttc and if pregnant to have a pap. Do others disagree?

It's every 2 years in aus but I'm annual due to problems. Had surgery in 2011 and need frequent monitoring. Now that's despite being in committed relationship for 11 years and all clears on tests prior to 2011. Went from all clear to cin 3 surgery within weeks.
    Last edited by mrs magoo; September 28th, 2013 at 10:17 PM.

on her way in 2014

Big Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I had one while TTC and just timed it for a few days after the end of AF. In aus it's recommended every 2 years if no history of issues, funny how it's different everywhere. I just assumed 2 yearly was standard.

Thank you Atomic and gender dreaming!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast