Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Please continue to take folic acid or folate as recommended.

The recommendations for folic/folate supplementation while swaying are as follows.

For BLUE: 2000 mcg (including amount in prenatal) daily starting right away and continuing thru 12 weeks of pregnancy, then gradually wean off to amount in prenatal by spacing doses further and further apart.

For PINK: 1200-1600 mcg (including amount in prenatal during pregnancy) daily starting right away and continuing thru 12 weeks of pregnancy, then gradually wean off to amount in prenatal by spacing doses further and further apart.

That new study that people are reporting on, involves women with high levels of folic/B12 in their blood AT TIME OF BABY'S BIRTH. And it is not at all clear if this is anything to do with supplementation at all, or (much more likely) some sort of genetic inability to excrete these nutrients properly. The guidelines for folic/folate prior to conception and during first trimester has not changed and I do not want ANYONE stopping folic/folate suddenly especially during pregnancy, out of a misguided sense of fear over a study that is being misreported.

I assure you that I and many other women with history of having kids with neural tube defects took much higher doses than what we recommend here, and have kids that are NOT autistic. Everyone must take at the barest minimum, 400 mcg. Folic/folate is the one supplement that has been 100% proven to prevent birth defects when taken before conception and some data even indicates that it may even help to prevent chromosomal abnormalities as well.

The Facts About Folate and Autism - The Atlantic
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

2. Likes all4princes, BrightSky liked this post
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by atomic sagebrush View Post
    The recommendations for folic/folate supplementation while swaying are as follows.

For BLUE: 2000 mcg (including amount in prenatal) daily starting right away and continuing thru 12 weeks of pregnancy, then gradually wean off to amount in prenatal by spacing doses further and further apart.

For PINK: 1200-1600 mcg (including amount in prenatal during pregnancy) daily starting right away and continuing thru 12 weeks of pregnancy, then gradually wean off to amount in prenatal by spacing doses further and further apart.

That new study that people are reporting on, involves women with high levels of folic/B12 in their blood AT TIME OF BABY'S BIRTH. And it is not at all clear if this is anything to do with supplementation at all, or (much more likely) some sort of genetic inability to excrete these nutrients properly. The guidelines for folic/folate prior to conception and during first trimester has not changed and I do not want ANYONE stopping folic/folate suddenly especially during pregnancy, out of a misguided sense of fear over a study that is being misreported.

I assure you that I and many other women with history of having kids with neural tube defects took much higher doses than what we recommend here, and have kids that are NOT autistic. Everyone must take at the barest minimum, 400 mcg. Folic/folate is the one supplement that has been 100% proven to prevent birth defects when taken before conception and some data even indicates that it may even help to prevent chromosomal abnormalities as well.

The Facts About Folate and Autism - The Atlantic
    Thank you for this. I think one of the most frustrating things about this, too, is how there are other studies showing LOWER rates of autism in mothers with high folate intake during the first two trimesters... so tired of the scaremongering in news sources!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

4. Likes atomic sagebrush, dancingdiva88 liked this post
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes me too. I read the way that was being reported by just about every news source, and just about ripped my hair out!!!

6. Likes Throwaway_panther liked this post
    Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    On recent blood tests my folate serum result was higher than the lab equipment could measure (greater than >24 ng/ml). This is two months after I'd already switched over to folate from folic acid. Does my high folate result point to me having MTHFR?

I have always eaten a ton of natural folate in veggies and fruit, so I made the decision a while back to only take 800mcg folate per day. I know this is less than Atomic's official recommendation, but that is for women on LE and I'm not on LE. My sway diet is quite mild at this point, just vegetarian really.

I was trying to have a higher ratio of carbs for a long time, but even that's gotten hard. I've been quite sick this month, so I've tried a little walnuts, olive oil and extra eggs as an emergency omega-3/protein thing as well as no coffee or alcohol and no exercise. Frankly, I'm desperate for physical relief and immune system support.

(I came back and edited this because I was feverish and rambled on and on when I wrote it. Anyway, at the time I was in the 2ww but unfortunately that isn't true anymore. My LP was only seven days this month. Maybe because I've been so sick.)
    Last edited by Complex Emotions; January 11th, 2017 at 01:31 AM.

8. Likes atomic sagebrush liked this post
    Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi Complex Emotions:
    There may be a measure of truth to what you are doing for your body. The copious amounts of carbs can cause inflammation and cold type symptoms....i say this because i have a friend who has to limit carbs or else she feels like she has a cold complete with body aches and an earache....
    And i too for me found when i cut the 1 hr daily cardio out that my body was able to finally ovulate....
    Could you have adrenal fatigue or dysfunction? A simple spit in a tube 4 times a day cortisol lab is usually how that is tested. My lab showed within normal range but for whateever reason, in my case (so not saying across the board) not doing 1hr cardio a day has helped me ovulate 2 times now (11/9 & 12/27) (i have low fsh levels and a retroverted uterus so lots of things hindering getting pg) :such is life as they say:

Im also in my "2ww" - my luteal phase is like 15 to 17 days long so i do not even bother with tests unless af is a no show for a week after it is due But i would for sure say i havent even been "swaying" because i live with a man, a teen, and a toddler, all boys who eat big meals full of carbs and meat with no veggies and junkfood snacks around the clock....so not many healthy choices and when it is just me (and the toddler who will mooch off my plate) i have no desire to make meals only i will eat so i just try to eat less of what they eat and eat some veggies

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    Teen 2001 Toddler 2014
    x as many as The Good L-RD would bless us with
    Currently
    Wanna be a magnet
    Challenges=hypothyroid and age
    Proverbs 13:12

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1922d6

10. Thanks Complex Emotions thanked for this post
    Likes atomic sagebrush liked this post
    Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by skillet04 View Post
    Hi Complex Emotions:
    ...Could you have adrenal fatigue or dysfunction?
    Thank you for your response, Skillet. That is something to look into.

And, wow! That's quite the luteal phase you've got there. Impressive!

I'm not sure if I can claim any right to "pink dust" seeing as I only have one child and he's a little boy, but if I do have pink dust, I'm sending some your way!

12. Likes skillet04 liked this post
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    They need to test for MTFHR. I'm not qualified to sound off on things like that, I'm just not. Not only because I'm not qualified but also because no one really knows.

I know this is an unpopular opinion and I hesitate to "go here" but I've been sick for a month too and I take all my vitamins and eat very well, exercise, don't drink, etc. It happens sometimes, particularly at this time of year. I really, really, really hate to see you guys psych yourselves up into this mindset where you attribute all health related concerns, from your diet being less than optimal when in reality even a strict LE Diet is better than what most people around the world are eating normally.

All that having been said, you were doing a restrictive diet for a long time and it may be you did get low in something. As per our previous conversations adding in a prenatal a couple times a week isn't gonna undo your sway. Walnuts and eggs have never been forbidden on LE Diet and olive oil is ok too in moderation.

14. Thanks Complex Emotions thanked for this post
    Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by atomic sagebrush View Post
    They need to test for MTFHR. I'm not qualified to sound off on things like that, I'm just not. Not only because I'm not qualified but also because no one really knows...
    From what I can tell it isn't easy to get tested for MTHFR. For one thing, there are dubious genetic tests out there. Also, my understanding is that the more reputable ones have certain rights to your DNA for their own records and research. I'm not prepared to sort out the ethics and implications of what that could mean for me or my family. I think my best bet is to just be aware that I may have some degree of this mutation and just take folate and continue to eat a folate rich diet.

I'm also looking for a way to mention this to my family members... especially ones who might be trying to get pregnant and taking folic acid.
    Last edited by Complex Emotions; January 11th, 2017 at 01:34 AM.

16. Likes skillet04, atomic sagebrush liked this post
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Emotions View Post
    From what I can tell it isn't easy to get tested for MTHFR. For one thing, there are dubious genetic tests out there. Also, my understanding is that the more reputable ones have certain rights to your DNA for their own records and research. I'm not prepared to sort out the ethics and implications of what that could mean for me or my family. I think my best bet is to just be aware that I may have some degree of this mutation and just take folate and continue to eat a folate rich diet.

I'm also looking for a way to mention this to my family members... especially ones who might be trying to get pregnant and taking folic acid.
    Yikes! Yes, I agree please do exactly that. There is def. an air of hokeyness with the MTHFR people that I don't like at all, it's only that I've seen several people have losses, then get treated for it, and the losses stop, that I can't dismiss it of course. unlike some things that seem people are diagnosed with that seem totally baloney, that one isn't.

We could possibly consider adding in low dose aspirin, I hesitate to do that because of the risks and side effects and since we don't even know that you have the mutation. But it is something we could consider.

18. Thanks Complex Emotions thanked for this post
    Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Once at 12 weeks, how many additional weeks should it take to go from 2000mcg folic to the anount in prenatal (600 mcg folic)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast