Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Babydust book

Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Babydust book

Has anybody read the book babydust? Thoughts? It is supposedly based off of timing (I know, I know), but also frequency. Like one attempt for a girl, multiple attempts for boys. A lot of stuff also tha5 seems to jive with what I read here (with the exception of timing). It claims an incredibly high success rate, which I have a hard time believing. There is a facebook following with a bunch of people and the current stats are 120 successful sways and 8 failed sways. Again, I have a hard time believing this But just wanted to know what others thought about the book if they read it.

Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Clothespin View Post
    Has anybody read the book babydust? Thoughts? It is supposedly based off of timing (I know, I know), but also frequency. Like one attempt for a girl, multiple attempts for boys. A lot of stuff also tha5 seems to jive with what I read here (with the exception of timing). It claims an incredibly high success rate, which I have a hard time believing. There is a facebook following with a bunch of people and the current stats are 120 successful sways and 8 failed sways. Again, I have a hard time believing this But just wanted to know what others thought about the book if they read it.
    I read the book last week end. Just like on here she talks about one attempt only before +opk if ttc girl and multiple attempts after +opk if ttc boy.
    Am interested to see if it’s worked for anyone on here too.
    I’m hoping to sway pinky when I start ttc. I read reviews on Amazon of the book and the majority of people who reviewed the book got the gender they swayed for. But then again maybe if you were unsuccessful you might not leave a review.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, the reason it all seems to jive with what we're saying is because they probably stole it from us. We found out about one attempt back in 2012-2013 and the book came out in 2016 sooo....yeah. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is. We have no way to know if anyone posting on FB or Amazon are real people. I have seen plenty of people do one attempt and timing and get opposites so I know for a fact that it can't be true. And the numbers never seem to reflect the people who try this method and don't get pregnant, of which I've had several the last 2 years - some of whom had been trying for nearly a year before giving up and coming here.

My goal here is to do a sway that anyone can do and that people can get pregnant doing. I want you guys to hear realistic expectations instead of pie in the sky unattainable promises. So, I can't recommend doing Babydust (well, if you want to, that's totally cool, but heck, do one attempt + timing with me, FOR FREE rather than shelling out $12 for a book that only restates everything I already have been saying on here for the last 5 years!)
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

4. Thanks Clothespin, Blckhrt thanked for this post
    Likes Mommy2apples liked this post
    Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Babydust book

The babydust method is based on the McSweeney study. The author claims that following her method of intercourse just one time 2-3 days before ovulation will give you a 94% chance at conceiving a girl. On paper it sounds very convincing, but in reality the science is extremely flawed.

For starters there were only 18 participants in the study who followed the prescribed method to conceive a girl. Out of these 18 women, 16 conceived a girl, which is where the author got her statistics from. Unfortunately this sample size is far too small to draw any real conclusions from.

The second issue is that the McSweeney study had their participants base their timing of intercourse purely on cervical mucus changes.. “couples wanting a girl were instructed to abstain from sexual intercourse from the start of their period to the first day their secretions had turned wet and slippery”. The study used no means of confirming ovulation, yet goes on to make the broad assumption that this change in cervical mucus occurs around 2-3 days before O.

The author of the babydust method then goes on to admit that “a study looking at the timing of peak cervical mucus day in relation to ovulation day concluded that peak cervical mucus occurs somewhere between 3 days before and 3 days after ovulation” and explains based on this information that OPK’s are essential for pinpointing the “magical” 2-3 days before ovulation (conveniently enough the author also had her own brand of OPK’s which she strongly suggests to her readers).

If peak cervical mucus days vary so greatly between women then I’m not sure how on earth we can conclude that the baby girls in the study were conceived 2-3 days before ovulation when the only parameter the study tracked was cm!

It doesn’t add up. 16 out of 18 women conceived a girl on the first day of peak cm production (we have no idea when they actually ovulated) but peak cervical mucus in relation to O varies drastically from woman to woman - so her solution is use OPK’s and bd 2-3 days before O!?!?

If anything, the McSweeney study could point to x or y sperm favouring cervical mucus of varying viscosity or composure, but an OPK isn’t going to give you that information. The author also forgot to make mention of the hundreds of studies which refute and contradict her timing theory.

Despite this, I do believe she got the frequency bit right. Men with lower sperm count have more girls. One time = less sperm floating around in the reproductive tract = increase chance of a girl. This is probably where most of her successes are coming from. Obviously this alone is not enough to sell books or OPK’s though

I was in the Facebook group for a while back when I was clueless, and the one time I questioned the science, my comment was swiftly deleted. I do not think the success rate she reports is accurate. She claims there are only 7 failures thus far, but I have counted many more people posting fails than that. Also, more people are going to be excited about posting their successful sway, and many who have a fail will probably be less inclined to. There is no tally or tracking of successes/failures and no visible data to see where the author gets her figures from. Whenever someone in the group has a success she sends them a private message to request an Amazon review (the book is only available on Amazon). Obviously she doesn’t ask this of those with failed sways. So the glowing Amazon reviews from women who are over the moon about getting their DG, are really not representative of the success rate overall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Jodles1987; February 18th, 2018 at 12:18 PM.

6. Thanks atomic sagebrush thanked for this post
    Likes Mommy2apples, Throwaway_panther liked this post
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for posting Jodles!

I maintain that they "borrowed" the one attempt info from us regardless of whether or not they then went out and tracked down a study that claimed to prove it. But I really appreciate the detailed info that you uncovered. Excellent breakdown and I really appreciate your time in writing it all down - because I'd be darned if I was going to pay $12 for the privilege of reading what I've already known since 2012 - one attempt sways pink!

I will also point out that the information in the McSweeney study is from Nigeria and while it may be politically incorrect I don't find it to hold as much water as if it had been done at Harvard, for example. As in, I don't think it holds any water at all. Studies done even by the most prestigious sources are wrong a good percentage of the time Believe It Or Not, Most Published Research Findings Are Probably False | Big Think and let's just say there are a lot of red flags in that study - small sample size, results too good to be true, possible financial benefit for the person who did the study, and so on. If you're interested, I have a full breakdown on some of the problems with that study here: http://genderdreaming.com/forum/ttc-...86-timing.html

When scientists use actual technology (bloodwork and ultrasound) to pin down the day of ovulation instead of any method that can be miscalculated or misinterpreted, they found 50-50 boys and girls conceived every cycle day. The only studies that have seemed to find otherwise are highly flawed (self-reported O Day, the women who wanted girls were given Clomid while the ones who wanted boys were given IUI's without Clomid, miniscule sample sizes, so few people could get pregnant that practically all of them dropped out before conceiving). Timing is by far and away the most studied area of gender swaying and if it worked 94% or heck, even 75% like Shettles claimed, we'd know that beyond a shadow of a doubt right now.

Additionally we know that using Billings method to pinpoint day of O is only accurate 1 out of 3 times even in highly trained volunteers using cutting edge technology (and we know this because again, it's been demonstrated in studies where scientists used blood tests and/or ultrasounds to actually pin down O. Natural family planning methods are great at preventing and achieving pregnancy. They CANNOT tell you what day you ovulated on any better than one out of three days. This is enough to get you pregnant or keep you from getting pregnant but anyone who says you can know the day you ovulated on, using NFP methods is not being honest.

I have had several people who have come to me for help after 9-12 months not conceiving with Babydust - particularly for girls. (that is how Babydust first attracted my attention is because so many people were showing up here desperate because they had been swaying for a year and hadn't conceived and when I read about people swaying for a year without getting pregnant, the hackles on my neck rise) So even if there isn't manipulation of the data happening directly, it is indirectly because a method that makes it so few people conceive while using it, is useless. I'll give an example using made up numbers. Let's pretend that it really is 90% effective. But only 20% of people can get pregnant using it. In 100 people this would end up being 18 people getting their desired gender and everyone else is just SOL, they either give up without getting pregnant or give up on what they consider "swaying" and just get pregnant and take their chances at that point. But if, by doing a more laid back, conception friendly sway, all those same people get pregnant. Even if it was only 66% successful, that is 66 out of 100 people who get their desired gender. So even IF (and that is a BIG IF, like the hugest IF in the history of IFkind) this method could be 90% successful, if people aren't getting pregnant doing it, then it is a useless method and you may as well just take a birth control pill and pray for a miracle.

Great discussion, ladies, and thanks again Jodles! I'll add this to our Complete Index.
    Last edited by atomic sagebrush; April 6th, 2018 at 11:26 AM.

Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by atomic sagebrush View Post
    Thanks for posting Jodles!

I maintain that they "borrowed" the one attempt info from us regardless of whether or not they then went out and tracked down a study that claimed to prove it. But I really appreciate the detailed info that you uncovered. Excellent breakdown and I really appreciate your time in writing it all down - because I'd be darned if I was going to pay $12 for the privilege of reading what I've already known since 2012 - one attempt sways pink!

I will also point out that the information in the McSweeney study is from Nigeria and while it may be politically incorrect I don't find it to hold as much water as if it had been done at Harvard, for example. As in, I don't think it holds any water at all. Studies done even by the most prestigious sources are wrong a good percentage of the time Believe It Or Not, Most Published Research Findings Are Probably False | Big Think and let's just say there are a lot of red flags in that study - small sample size, results too good to be true, possible financial benefit for the person who did the study, and so on.

When scientists use actual technology (bloodwork and ultrasound) to pin down the day of ovulation instead of any method that can be miscalculated or misinterpreted, they found 50-50 boys and girls conceived every cycle day. The only studies that have seemed to find otherwise are highly flawed (self-reported O Day, the women who wanted girls were given Clomid while the ones who wanted boys were given IUI's without Clomid, miniscule sample sizes, so few people could get pregnant that practically all of them dropped out before conceiving). Timing is by far and away the most studied area of gender swaying and if it worked 94% or heck, even 75% like Shettles claimed, we'd know that beyond a shadow of a doubt right now.

Additionally we know that using Billings method to pinpoint day of O is only accurate 1 out of 3 times even in highly trained volunteers using cutting edge technology (and we know this because again, it's been demonstrated in studies where scientists used blood tests and/or ultrasounds to actually pin down O. Natural family planning methods are great at preventing and achieving pregnancy. They CANNOT tell you what day you ovulated on any better than one out of three days. This is enough to get you pregnant or keep you from getting pregnant but anyone who says you can know the day you ovulated on, using NFP methods is not being honest.

I have had several people who have come to me for help after 9-12 months not conceiving with Babydust - particularly for girls. (that is how Babydust first attracted my attention is because so many people were showing up here desperate because they had been swaying for a year and hadn't conceived and when I read about people swaying for a year without getting pregnant, the hackles on my neck rise) So even if there isn't manipulation of the data happening directly, it is indirectly because a method that makes it so few people conceive while using it, is useless. I'll give an example using made up numbers. Let's pretend that it really is 90% effective. But only 20% of people can get pregnant using it. In 100 people this would end up being 18 people getting their desired gender and everyone else is just SOL, they either give up without getting pregnant or give up on what they consider "swaying" and just get pregnant and take their chances at that point. But if, by doing a more laid back, conception friendly sway, all those same people get pregnant. Even if it was only 66% successful, that is 66 out of 100 people who get their desired gender. So even IF (and that is a BIG IF, like the hugest IF in the history of IFkind) this method could be 90% successful, if people aren't getting pregnant doing it, then it is a useless method and you may as well just take a birth control pill and pray for a miracle.

Great discussion, ladies, and thanks again Jodles! I'll add this to our Complete Index.
    I think she claims that Y sperm capacitate quicker than X. Is this true do you know?
    Three lovely sons

Trying to sway

Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    100% agree with everything you have to say Atomic. I thought the same when I saw the study was based in Nigeria

I actually have one more point I want to add...

The author instructs her readers to abstain from unprotected sex and use OPK's twice daily for three months in order for them to better understand and predict their cycle, prior to attempting to conceive.

In the Facebook group I noticed a trend where SO many frantic, super stressed out women were complaining that they tracked their cycles perfectly for months in advance, cycles were 100% regular etc etc, but then on their attempt cycle they would BD on the day they expected would give them a perfect 2-3 day cut-off, and then BAM O surprises them and comes earlier than expected and they end up with just a one day cut-off (or OPK's progress faster than expected indicating that O has come earlier).... Like three or four women would post about this a day and then loads more would respond saying the same happened to them.

I was wondering whether this had to be more than a coincidence, so did a little research and actually found quite a bit of evidence to suggest that semen has a protein in it (Ovulation Inducing Factor) which can actually trigger ovulation once it's in the reproductive tract....

If there is any truth to this at all, then no matter how well you think you understand your cycles through OPK's and no matter how perfect your cut-off is, there is a chance ovulation may be triggered early after BD and render all the planning, tracking, and money spent on OPK's useless. If you are putting all your eggs in the 'timing' basket then that's a big blow!
    Last edited by Jodles1987; February 19th, 2018 at 02:53 AM.

10. Likes mummylove liked this post
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Can you bump this for me?? Super interesting subject, would like to be able to give my best effort! I'm at the end of the day here and feeling wiped out!

Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Bumping!!

I just read the book too now!

I think it’s worth mentioning that even if the author has got some things wrong I’m sure she is just trying to help people as atomic is. Yes she is making money out of it but so do a lot of people in professions that help people.

For me her method only works if x sperm capacitate later than y? Does anyone know if this is true?
    Three lovely sons

Trying to sway

Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I can't find any studies or evidence which point toward different capacitation rates between x and y sperm in the body. I did find a study which was attempting to separate x and y sperm based on differing capacitation rates between the two, however to achieve this separation they had to incubate the sperm under certain conditions and add various solutions to the semen sample in order to stimulate capacitation of the y sperm to a point where the sample could be separated.

From this I gather that x and y sperm may capacitate at different rates under different conditions, however these conditions would need to be highly controlled and would only be effective in vitro for the purpose of artifical insemination. Even if x and y sperm capacitation rates do differ in vivo, the difference would probably be so minute that having sex on one day over another would be no guarantee of getting one gender over another. In my understanding, sperm capacitate in waves (which are a mix of x and y sperm), which start 4-6 hours after ejaculation, so that there is always sperm available to fertilize the egg for several days until O occurs. I could definitely be wrong though and always interested to learn more on the topic!

I'm sure the author means well, however it does frustrate me a little that she markets her method as 94% successful (pretty sure she bases this figure on the McSweeney study results and not her own), yet has no stats or data to back up these claims. Being in the Facebook group for several months I saw almost as many fails as there were successes (and surely there were many more unreported fails), and I would dare say that many of these successes were due to a change in BD frequency above all else. Every time someone's sway failed she would tell them that they were just part of the unfortunate 6%. People in the group would constantly suggest creating a spreadsheet or record of attempts and she would pretend to entertain the idea, but then never do anything about it.

The difference with Gender Dreaming is that Atomic is constantly on the lookout for new information with the genuine intention of wanting to help as many women as possible get pregnant with their desired gender. The author of BDM, however has made it quite clear that she is not interested in hearing anything which contradicts her method, and would swiftly delete any comments from the group which questioned or challenged her "science". This is what makes me wonder if she is more interested in selling her product than learning more about the continually evolving topic which is gender swaying. Babydust method is marketed well and many women get sold on this, as well as the supposed success rate, and then rely 100% on it to get their desired gender, when there are so many other proven sway methods available which could further increase their odds.

Anyway my rant is over haha
    Last edited by Jodles1987; February 21st, 2018 at 09:41 AM.

14. Thanks hopetoswaypink, atomic sagebrush thanked for this post
    Likes tillytys liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast