Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

My wife and I are expecting!! Please help predict gender

Greetings to Atomic and everyone else who helps make this such a wonderful site!

My wife and I had been trying to get pregnant since June 2019. Because she is high risk due to her age (now 35), we eventually began going to a fertility clinic. Several failed IUI attempts later, we were at wits' end and ready to go down the IVF road.

No sooner do they start tweaking her medications -- changing dosages, switching some entirely -- than she gets a positive pregnancy test!

She is now about 5 weeks in. We couldn't be happier after all the frustration we've grappled with over the past year and change.

A healthy baby is the most important thing to us, and I'll love that bundle of joy no matter what.

Given the fact that we'll most likely be one and done, though, I've given the baby's gender more thought than those who intend to have several kids probably have.

As I noted in prior posts, I really want a girl for these reasons:

- I was a boy myself and now want to see life through an entirely different lens

- I was raised by women (mom, grandma, 2 older sisters) who were great to me. I view being a good dad to a girl as paying it forward.

- Although I enjoy playing and watching sports on occasion, I don't consider myself a super duper manly man. I'm more into books, writing, and word games than I am cars, repairing stuff, and hunting.

- I want to raise a daughter to feel strong and empowered in a world that seems to favor males. I want her to shoot for the stars and believe in herself -- that she can achieve anything she sets her mind to.

- I have several male individuals (friends, co-workers, and even my own dad) telling me that they KNOW I'm going to have a son. Really? I guess they've become psychics now, eh? Said friends either didn't have sons themselves or haven't had kids at all and yearn for a boy. I'm thinking that they likely want to experience having a son vicariously through me.
    As for my dad (with whom I've had a volatile relationship), he always wanted a boy. According to my mom, he was disappointed when they found out the gender of my sisters. He didn't turn out to be such a great father despite getting his boy, and my parents divorced when I was only 3.

I suppose proving these people wrong serves as an impetus for wanting/trying to sway for a girl.

- I'd like to experience that amazing father and daughter bond ("daddy's little girl"). I have visions of walking my little girl down the aisle.

It's going to be a while before we find out what the gender is, but I was hoping you all can venture a few guesses in light of the background info I provide below:

- My wife, 35, takes medicine for high blood pressure (Metropolol), insulin resistance (Metformin), and hypothyroidism (Synthroid). She's overweight. Didn't have big breakfasts around the time of conception.

- I recently turned 36. I'm a bit overweight myself, but I walk regularly and try my best to eat healthier (fruits, gluten free, no fried foods, etc.) Though my sperm count was adequate, my motility wasn't all that great, and the doctors feared it might be impeding our chances.They put me on a vitamin supplement (ConceptionXR Motility Support with antioxidants and L-Cartinine). The reproductive urologist found I had a small varicocele. I also take Zoloft (100mg) for anxiety.

- As far as BDing, my wife says we did it roughly three days before ovulation. I can't remember which position I finished in or whether she had an orgasm; she likely did.

So, given the information I provided above, would you say we seemed to sway more one way or the other? Or does it seem like it could go either way?

Based on some of Atomic's posts, it appears that the supplement might sway a tad blue, but it's counteracted by the more pinkish Zoloft and the fact that my swimmers are slow. As for my wife, I believe the Synthroid sways blue, but the Metformin swings the other way. But please correct me if I'm wrong.

Again, I'm praying for a healthy baby first and foremost. I'd love the child no matter their gender, but I'm hoping for a baby girl since we likely won't have any more children.

Thanks in advance for reading!!
    Last edited by thinkpink2017; March 31st, 2021 at 09:26 AM.

2. Likes atomic sagebrush liked this post
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't like to guess on sways that are done deals. The truth is I just can't know, and i hate the thought that I am giving out false hope or false despair to anyone. There are some things that are more pink friendly and others that are more blue (personally I think Synthroid is neutral, but some underlying reasons for being on Synthroid may sway somewhat blue). I truly think things could go either way! Good luck and huge congrats!!
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for your reply, Atomic.

I'd like to think that the following make my chances of having a girl pretty good, though I know there are no guarantees:

- I'm taking Zoloft.
    - I've read that anything that impairs male fertility tilts pink.
    Not only is my motility low, but I'm older (36).
    - I wear tighty whities and enjoy hot showers; my wife says I'm always warm.
    - I've read that studies show men who have several sisters are more likely to have daughters. I have 2 sisters and no brothers.
    - I've read that if a man's dad has had several daughters, he, too, is more likely to have them. My dad fathered 4 girls and 1 boy (me).

Atomic, do you think at least some of the above suggest we may get a pink bundle of joy?

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You have a lot going for you! But it's just not a guarantee, that's all.

Wishing you the best of luck and sending you pink dust!

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I just wanted to say congratulations and this is one of the sweetest posts I have seen. Sending you lots of pink dust. If it's worth anything O hasn't "swayed" for me (had one with my daughter and didn't with my son).

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

7. Likes atomic sagebrush liked this post
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    OH and I'm sorry I missed this question the first time through, but I see NO evidence, no whatsoever that gender runs in the family like that. IN addition to the people on this site, there are many, many celebrities who come from all or mostly boy families or all girl families and have the opposite gender. (including dudes with A LOT of girls like Bruce Willis - he has mostly brothers). Gender isn't genetic that way. There are lifestyle similarities between members of a family sometimes but that's what swaying is all about.

Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you, atomic and dreaming blue.

Since my wife's age makes her high risk, we'll be doing some genetic testing in two weeks that checks for Down's Syndrome and other diseases. This test will also reveal the gender.

Because of my low motility, my urologist prescribed a male fertility supplement for several months that includes L-Cartinine.

Atomic has stated in several posts that these tend to sway blue.

My hope is that its impact on my swimmers was negligible; if it does turn out to be a boy (whom I'll love regardless), the fertility supplement might be partly to blame.

But if you think about it, wouldn't L-Cartinine help the X sperm as well?

I wasn't too gung-ho about having to take the supplement, but my wife and I were having trouble getting pregnant and I didn't want my motility to prevent us from having children. We had a couple of failed IUIs and were about to initiate IVF when my wife became pregnant. It took almost two years, and we thank God for this miracle.

Would you say male fertility supplements can have an outsized impact? My wife is pretty sure we DTD 3-4 days before ovulation, so I'm hoping most of those Y's were dead by the time of fertilization (a la Shettles).

If anything, I'm hoping my taking of Zoloft and tendency to be warm/wear tight underwear propelled the X sperm to the finish line first.
    Last edited by thinkpink2017; April 16th, 2021 at 09:33 AM.

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    For reasons we don't fully understand, having LOTS of sperm, both X and Y, ends up leading to more male conceptions. But it is very far from a magic bullet. if you had issues with sperm health than you probably needed the supplement anyway just in order to conceive. And the long cutoff may have meant feweer surviving sperm.

Shettles does not work (if timing does work, it's because of fewer sperm = more girls and not because X live longer). You have every chance of a girl, but X sperm don't live longer than Y, that's been totally debunked.

The Zoloft and tight undies may very well have helped! Good luck!!!