Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast
    Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Blue Sway Folic Acid QQ - Please help!

Hi, I have posted this elsewhere but not sure it was on the right thread (I'm a newbie in case you can't tell ) so posting here just in case this is the right place....

I recently did a blue sway and took 2000mg Folate and 700ug folic acid (300ug in Centrum + 400ug folic acid tablet) while TTC. I did larger amounts of both as this was following on from two recurrent miscarriages.

I am now, I believe, 5w pregnant and waiting for a scan to confirm it's viable (also debating whether or not to take progesterone to prevent another miscarruage... but that's another story, I'll try to keep things simple!).

I really need to know if I should keep these Folate and folic acid levels up until the 12 week mark? (which, God willing, I will reach!)? Particularly that large amount of folic acid and I've read some conflicting things about safety online, so should I wean down now?

Many many thanks!

Ruby

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, I have your post open on my browser and I had read this question but it was a longer post and I didn't get through it yet.

Keep the higher intake of folate/FA till the end of the first trimester and then start weaning off. The neural tube is closed at that point and you can wean off.

The possible risks of too much folic acid firstly is NOT from 700 ug (and your body is ok with folate, so that doesn't count). It is only much higher amounts taken later on in pregnancy and even then, any potential risk is very sketchy. If you wean off at the end of the first tri that is fine and what many of us (who were prescribed much higher doses) took.

What I would do is at maybe 10ish weeks start dialing it back slightly and plan to be down to the amount in the prenatal by the end of the 13th week.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks so much for your reply! So appreciated. I bought Methylfolate 1000mch capsules for Folate and have been taking two a day. I also bought 400ug Folate tablets which I plan on taking when I start to wean down from the 2000 level.

So is the idea to just get down to the amount in my prenatal? I followed your advice to others and got Centrum Women which has 300ug folic acid. Is the idea that this is what I should be taking at end of first trimester, ie no Folate at all, just folic acid?

All being well, I was then thinking of switching to Pregnacare tablets in later pregnancy (mainly as I stocked up on them before finding this excellent site!) which contain 400ug folic acid.

Again, thank you so much for your help on this. I’ve felt so lost and I can’t tell you what it means to have some direct answers! Xx

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would wean over to the Pregnacare gradually over about three weeks - alternate the vitamins, then take the Pregnacare every 2 days, Centrum 1 day, then 3/1, 4/1 and once you're down to one per week, then you can drop the Centrum totally.

Unless you have a MTHFR mutation and cannot process folic acid you don't technically need the folate pills in addition to the folic acid. If you DO have the MTHFR mutation you shouldn't be using folic acid at all and we'll need to find some other supplement with folate in it.

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you no I don't have this mutation - as far as I know! - so I should be fine with folic acid alone.

So at the 10th week, does it sound ok to go to:

10th week: 1800 Folate + 700 FA, then 1400 Folate + 700 FA
    11th week: 1000 Folate + 700 FA, then 800 Folate + 300 FA [with my 400 FA pills every other day for a few days]
    12th week: 400 Folate + 300 FA, then Folate every other day and increase spacing to stop Folate completely after another week?

If that looks ok - and please feel free to amend if it doesn't, I'm just making it up as I go! - then would it be ok to take some of those Folate doses in my 1000mcg tablets, or would it be better to spread them out throughout the day in 400mcg doses?

All being well, I'd then start the gradual move from Centrum to Pregnacare as you described.

Thanks so much Atomic x

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes that's just fine, and if it goes a little faster or slower that's fine.

Spreading out through the day is always best with folate as it gives your body a steadier supply.

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Atomic 😊👍 x

8. Likes atomic sagebrush liked this post
    Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi Atomic, sorry - me again. I've just been thinking, as this is a twin pregnancy, could the high doses of folate and folic acid have possibly contributed to that?!
    Also, I read over one of your replies again and you say I dont need the folate in addition to the folic acid. So could I start weaning off the 2,000mcg Folate straight away, while I keep going with the daily 700mg Folic Acid?

I feel very stupid, like I must have misread something on this site I thought I should take both Folate and Folic Acid together, but now I see maybe that wasn't the case and I've just been overdosing it for a long time...? xx

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    No, it doesn't cause twinning. It may help both twins in a pregnancy to survive (a surprising number of twin pregnancies start and then one twin does not survive). But it's been proven not to cause twinning in a really well done study in hundreds of thousands of women.

You've been taking the higher amount. Please continue taking the amount you are taking till the end of the first trimester then gradually wean off. This is not the time to disrupt the levels of folic/folate in your system. Wait till the end of the first tri when the neural tubes are closed.

No, it's either folate or folic acid, not both. But there isn't anything wrong with taking both, just that it's not necessary. Some people do end up taking both becuase they have some FA in their prenatal and take folate separately.

You aren't overdosing, you're taking much less than some of us (myself included) are prescribed. I was given 4000 in my 4th and 5th pregnancies and others are given 5000. As long as you wean off at the end of the first tri that's what you need to do.

11. Likes ruby_blue liked this post
    Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the reply. I’ve been having a very tough time in this pregnancy - nausea & vomiting off the scale, haven’t left the house in nearly 2 weeks - then I read an old study drawing a link & though oh no I shouldn’t have taken so much! 😬

Also finding it impossible to space throughout the day as the sickness is just overwhelming in the morning (I just vomit water & bile - tmi sorry). I’m trying to eat a bit more now it’s late afternoon…

I guess I’m just in such a panic about everything. I never knew nausea in pregnancy could be so debilitating. I can’t look after my daughter or do anything. Every day seems just as bad or even worse. Sorry, what a moaning Minnie I am! I should count my blessings I know, I’m just kind of terrified.. as is my partner. We never imagined the possibility of twins in a million years. I’m also really shocked it’s happened to me as I don’t seem to fit any of the usual criteria. I’m tiny - 5’1 and very petite. No twins in my family.

I guess I’ll see what happens though as I have heard stories about how it’s more likely something will go wrong if there are two. Not that I’m hoping it will - I’d feel wretched - but maybe slightly partially relieved, I don’t know. What a ramble, I’m sorry! Xx

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast