Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    there are always studies that claim to show this thing or that thing, the sources in the article I posted are much more reliable and the studies involved 10-20 thousand people. Taking antioxidants has not extended life and in some studies actually seems to be cutting it short (and Vit. E is somethign I have seen again and again that seems to be a bad guy when taken in high doses)

Some antioxidants gotten from FOODS vs. supps = GOOD. Megadoses of antioxidants = not always good.

It's pretty complicated but sometimes when we take supplements, our bodies stop doing things they are supposed to do, and are a zillion times better at, than supplements, so we trade something good for something that's not that great really. Your body needs some free radicals to do jobs and those same antioxidants can actually fuel cancer cells - if something helps normal cells, it can help cancer cells too. And antioxidants by definition, are capable of chemically bonding with stuff (the thinking was tht they'd bond with free radicals, but what happens if there are more antioxidants floating around than free radicals --- they bond with other stuff!!) Can you get too many antioxidants? so it's best to eat foods with nutrients in them and let our bodies do what they do best and decide how many and what to take from those foods.

At no point ever in human history have people taken vitamins. It's not "natural" to take them - that doesn't mean it's bad necessarily, but we can't assume it's good either. We are all part of the biggest experiment ever known.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Big Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That makes sense. I don't plan on taking any vitamin e or antioxidant supplements myself but I was concerned about the food amounts...this pcos/insulin resistance business is just exhausting trying to figure out what's best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

[2] healthy baby boy born in 2011
    [21 weeks] Nov. 2012 Went for a scan at 20 weeks, baby measured 17+6, came back for a follow up scan and baby had passed away. Lots of testing, no answers.
    Moving on without my son's brother. Starting our HT journey in 2014.

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You know I am slowly realizing that this was true for me. After my m/c I started taking every supplement ever recommended for fertility EVER. I am firmly of the belief now that this actually prevented me from getting pregnant. And why wouldn't it? I had never taken anything remotely resembling the "pharmacy" concoction I convinced myself my body needed. Three OHWs. I've been TTC for the last year (not swaying, just wanting to be pg), and nothing. I just dropped everything last cycle (except FA, prenatal and vit D). We shall see
    Sept 2008 & successful boy sway June 2010.
    M/C Oct 2012

Is DE in my future?

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you for sharing your experience!! I got pg the month after I dropped vitex and I hope with all my might this is the case for you too.

I agree and I have recently decided to be more vocal about this, both for swayers and for HT. I think we are creating problems that we wouldn't otherwise be having with some of this stuff. No one is not conceiving because they have a shortage of False Unicorn Root in their body, IKYKWIM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by atomic sagebrush View Post
    Thank you for sharing your experience!! I got pg the month after I dropped vitex and I hope with all my might this is the case for you too.

I agree and I have recently decided to be more vocal about this, both for swayers and for HT. I think we are creating problems that we wouldn't otherwise be having with some of this stuff. No one is not conceiving because they have a shortage of False Unicorn Root in their body, IKYKWIM.
    Yes! (And thanks for the cheers ) I'm sure maca is wonderful, but is it really some sort of miracle herb that can "regulate" my hormones? I'm thinking not...
    Sept 2008 & successful boy sway June 2010.
    M/C Oct 2012

Is DE in my future?

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree. PCOS is particularly complex, because there are a lot of supplements that help with the symptoms of PCOS, but maybe even if you are seemingly "curing" the PCOS, you may be throwing off other vital systems in your body.
    The one thing I personally feel strongly about for PCOSers, and possibly a PCOS sway, is getting the insulin resistance dealt with, which can be helped along lowering carbs. Cutting sugar out of your diet certainly won't harm your system.
    I think swaying pink with PCOS is particularly tricky just from reading all the wonderful stuff Atomic has researched.
    and my HT

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    if you do one thing for PCOS, cut back on sugar and empty carbs (the ones without fiber)

Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reposting w the reply link I meant to use! :-)

atomic, thank you so much for this extremely useful thread. I have PCOS and am doing research to prep for my girl sway next year. I'm 33 and had my sweet baby boy this Jan. My primary PCOS symptom is the IR and not surprisingly I had GD during my pregnancy. I was on Metformin when I conceived and stayed on it my entire pregnancy. I'm still nursing and am off the Met, but will resume it next year when I begin my pre sway weight loss. I've already cut out wheat, which gives me high sugars. I'm having a hard time losing weight while nursing and plan to gently wean after my son is a year old to begin my pre sway efforts. I'm sure I'll be asking some questions in the not so distant future. For now I'm taking lots of notes! Thanks again. Really appreciate it. :-)

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by atomic sagebrush View Post
    if you do one thing for PCOS, cut back on sugar and empty carbs (the ones without fiber)
    That alone has made the biggest improvement in my health. I have mild PCOS and what a huge difference cutting back on carbs has done for me!!

My Gender Dreaming

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkPink2014 View Post
    Reposting w the reply link I meant to use! :-)

atomic, thank you so much for this extremely useful thread. I have PCOS and am doing research to prep for my girl sway next year. I'm 33 and had my sweet baby boy this Jan. My primary PCOS symptom is the IR and not surprisingly I had GD during my pregnancy. I was on Metformin when I conceived and stayed on it my entire pregnancy. I'm still nursing and am off the Met, but will resume it next year when I begin my pre sway weight loss. I've already cut out wheat, which gives me high sugars. I'm having a hard time losing weight while nursing and plan to gently wean after my son is a year old to begin my pre sway efforts. I'm sure I'll be asking some questions in the not so distant future. For now I'm taking lots of notes! Thanks again. Really appreciate it. :-)
    Hi and welcome, let me know if I can help!

I did want to let you know that it's not at all unusual to have some trouble taking weight off while nursing for even 9 months to a year after giving birth. But it does happen eventually. I think your body wants to hang onto the weight till it's sure the baby and you are on the road to recovery and then and only then will it start to let it go. So don't feel like you ahve to wean in the future, just because you've had a bit of trouble taking off the weight now. The myth is that we will all go right back to our prepreg shapes in 6 weeks just because 6 ft tall supermodels with personal trainers and chefs claim that they did, but the reality is that it takes most of us more like 12-18 months to recover from childbirth. My daughter is 14 months old and only just now has that last 15 lbs slowly started coming off. :s

Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast