Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

IFV or PGD tax deductible?

Hi all. I apologize if this thread has been posted before, but I was wondering if anybody has any input in this. Do you know if the cost of IVF or PGD if one doesn't suffer infertility issues is tax deductible?
    Thank you to all for your responses.

Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    They do not ask if it is for infertility or not.

If it is more than 7.5% of your income, you can take it as a deduction (thank God, because we had 24,900 last year!). Once you reach that minimum, you can actually deduct vision and dental, too. I also had to travel two hours, so I took 16.5 cents per mile.

All the co-pays I paid for my other two kids, the ER visit we had, their prescriptions...all of it was also deductable.
    2004 2009

Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Great, because we are looking forward to claim it on the taxes. Has anyone done it last year?

Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I did already:-)
    2004 2009

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Is it just the amount that exceeds the 7.5% of your income or can you claim the entire amount? So, if the amount is 8% of you income, do you just write off .5% or the entire amount?
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

Become a Dream Member to access the private forums

Dream Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm pretty sure its the amount over 7.5%

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you ladies. Yes, I agree with you all, it is the amount over 7.5%, and with what I've spent with IVF/PGD so far, I can surely deduct a lot. However, when you deduct more than 20k in your taxes, it usually is a red flag for the IRS and most probably we will get audited. I know that we can also deduct all the meds related to IVF as well as the mileages from and to the clinic. My concern mostly is the PGD, or the IVF if we are fertile. For all of us who are doing this for gender selection. this is a route we choose to go for, it's not obligatory for us...it's something we want to, it's not medicaly required or ordered by a doctor....So, should the PGD still be deductible?

Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    We asked our tax advisor and the PGD was deductible. We are technically infertile, but she did not even ask. It was under lab fees, which can be included.

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p502...link1000178885
    2004 2009

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by desperatefordresses View Post
    They do not ask if it is for infertility or not.

If it is more than 7.5% of your income, you can take it as a deduction (thank God, because we had 24,900 last year!). Once you reach that minimum, you can actually deduct vision and dental, too. I also had to travel two hours, so I took 16.5 cents per mile.

All the co-pays I paid for my other two kids, the ER visit we had, their prescriptions...all of it was also deductable.
    This is true. If you can put pre-tax dollars into health spending account and use this instead, you may not be subject to the 7.5% income test.
    Daniel A. Potter, MD
    Medical Director, HRC Fertility Newport Beach, California
    Laboratory Director, Natera (formerly Gene Security Network)
    http://www.amazon.com/What-When-You-...keywords=hanin
    http://www.danielapottermd.com
    @ivfgenderselect

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you Dr. Potter. Health spending account sounds a great idea.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast