Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Australia up for sex selection review!

To all Australians out there who feel strongly about this issue - Australia's NHMRC is currently reviewing part B of the ART guidelines - the section that doesn't allow PGD for gender selection.

Today an invitation was put out for submissions - everyone is welcome - please please help me make as much noise about this issue as we can. Submissions are due by 30th April, here is the link to all the info and template.

Review of Part B of the Ethical Guidelines for the Use of Assisted Reproductive Technology in Clinical Practice and Research, 2007 | NHMRC Public Consultations

Fingers Crossed!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ooh I hope it passes for you wish they would allow it in uk xx
    [2012] [2013] TTC [2016/7]

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by AUSgirl View Post
    To all Australians out there who feel strongly about this issue - Australia's NHMRC is currently reviewing part B of the ART guidelines - the section that doesn't allow PGD for gender selection.

Today an invitation was put out for submissions - everyone is welcome - please please help me make as much noise about this issue as we can. Submissions are due by 30th April, here is the link to all the info and template.

Review of Part B of the Ethical Guidelines for the Use of Assisted Reproductive Technology in Clinical Practice and Research, 2007 | NHMRC Public Consultations

Fingers Crossed!
    I hope they finally approve it! It would be so much easier for us Aussie girls to cycle from home.
    DW 38
    DH 37

Cycle # 1 HRC Dr Potter 8th March 2014
    7 retrieved, 3 Mature, 2 Fertilised, 1 abnormal XY XB BB -10,-16,
    1 Normal XY HB AA BFP!
    First BETA 135 26/3/14 11dp6dt, Second BETA 859 31/3/14 16dp6dt
    Third BETA 10106 14/4/14
    NO HEARTBEAT! 22/4/14, D&C 23/4/14

Cycle # 2 HRC Dr Potter ER OCT 2014
    Stimmed an extra 2 days so ER was 31st Oct Halloween
    19 retrieved & 14 mature & all 14 fertilised
    7 to day 5 testing, 3 abnormal xy's
    1 normal xy HB AA Transferred 6/11/14
    3 normal xx
    First BETA HCG 400 E2 1389 P4 17, 17th Nov 10dp6dt
    Second BETA HCG 1022 E2 3246 P4 88.3 19th Nov 12dp6dt
    Third BETA HCG 15513 E2 3803 P4 78.4 27th Nov 20dp6dt

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I will definitely do this

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I am replying in this thread to make sure I remember to do this

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I hope it passes. I'm from New Zealand and flying to Australia is nothing compared to America or Thailand
    DPs sons 21 +13 11 + our 6 4 year old identical twins!

I might actually be over my deep yearning for a and it's an exciting feeling

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    So this is the copy and paste of the small section as to why they do not do gender selection now

"11.1 Do not select sex for nonmedical purposes
    Sex selection is an ethically controversial issue. The Australian Health
    Ethics Committee believes that admission to life should not be
    conditional upon a child being a particular sex. Therefore, pending
    further community discussion, sex selection (by whatever means) must
    not be undertaken except to reduce the risk of transmission of a serious
    genetic condition. See also paragraphs 12.1 and 12.2 on the use of
    preimplantation genetic diagnosis (PGD) for sex selection."

This being the main point that when you think about it is hard to argue with

"The Australian Health Ethics Committee believes that admission to life should not be conditional upon a child being a particular sex."

So how do you make them see otherwise to change the law?
    Make sure you write carefully so they have to really think about it and not just brush you off as a nutcase or something. I'd love to write in but since I'm not Australian I can not. Good luck ladies
    DPs sons 21 +13 11 + our 6 4 year old identical twins!

I might actually be over my deep yearning for a and it's an exciting feeling

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    done!

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    "The Australian Health Ethics Committee believes that admission to life should not be conditional upon a child being a particular sex."

My son would not be here, would not exist, had HT not been an option. We would have stopped at 3 children. I think people in general are afraid of extremes. HT is an extreme - an elective IVF cycle as a fertile woman IS extreme. It's also a mature, adult decision to take that path instead of trying naturally and then aborting a fetus because of gender- which IS allowed under Australian law. That is an extreme too yet it is allowed under law.

What are we really afraid of? Is it everyone would choose to have a son? Would it make a difference if the Australian people knew that over 90% of people from there use gender selection to have a girl? Is that better? True, it is gender selection but it is also family balancing. Finding balance in life is something we all strive for. Making the adult decision to have a daughter after 2-3 sons should be ok. Everyone should be ok with that decision. If the alternative is that child never exists, why is bringing her into this world wrong? Why should she be denied admission?

There could be boundaries, rules around the process. Limit the practice to true family balancing. Make it illegal to choose gender of a first-born if not for medical reasons. This is about balance. Grant these children admission to this world so we all may benefit from their existence. It has to be a better solution than aborting a child after an early blood test. Certainly, family balancing through elective IVF is the more adult, rationale means of admission to this world.
    Last edited by nuthinbutpink; March 19th, 2014 at 08:49 AM.
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

Become a Dream Member to access the private forums

10. Likes Sunbuny, netti02, WannaGirl liked this post
    Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Nothingpbutpink - Really well put. I couldn't agree more. It is along the lines of my argument for my submission to the NHMRC. We won't be having a third unless it is a girl. The Committee needs to accept the fact that GS is practiced by Australians. And likely far more than they realise. The rule is able to be hurdled. It just means we either take the hugely emotional route of terminating a pregnancy or spend more by going overseas (which Australian doctors don't recommend for any procedure because you are relying on a foreign countries medical practices and standards)

As I posted in another thread about this, the Ethics Committee are burying their heads in the sand because if you want to do GS, you WILL do it. Their issue is really with the technology that allows it... but the technology is there! That horse has well and truly bolted. What they can do is accept it and put boundaries in place around the process. Only allow it for balancing purposes, even ask couples to undergo counseling first - happy to do it!

Balance in families is important. I want the chance to have that mother-daughter relationship. I want my husband to have a father daughter relationship and most important I want my sons to have a sister.

I'm trying to put together a reasoned and honest argument and I hope they take the time to consider it.
    Love my 2 TTC

12. Likes netti02 liked this post
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast