IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Exclamation Dr. Sher's Advice about Day 3 CGH Testing

So, I went on Dr. Sher's blog and posted a comment to him about the 2 opposites and the use of day 3 CGH that apparently caused them. Here is his response:

"I have repeatedly cautioned that day-3 array CGH (aCGH) is fraught with issues. This probably proves my point. The amount of DNA in a single cell is so minute that you aCGH is unreliable. Metaphase CGH done correctly would not make such an error. I urge you to read the blog I posted elsewhere on this site, comparing mCGH with aCGH for PGD. FISH should be accurate but it does not access all chromosomes so, while gender determination would be reliably, assessment of embryo quality falls far short of the mark."

Geoff Sher

So, PLEASE make sure that you NEVER use day 3 aCGH for GS purposes.
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

Become a Dream Member to access the private forums

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by nuthinbutpink View Post
    So, I went on Dr. Sher's blog and posted a comment to him about the 2 opposites and the use of day 3 CGH that apparently caused them. Here is his response:

"I have repeatedly cautioned that day-3 array CGH (aCGH) is fraught with issues. This probably proves my point. The amount of DNA in a single cell is so minute that you aCGH is unreliable. Metaphase CGH done correctly would not make such an error. I urge you to read the blog I posted elsewhere on this site, comparing mCGH with aCGH for PGD. FISH should be accurate but it does not access all chromosomes so, while gender determination would be reliably, assessment of embryo quality falls far short of the mark."

Geoff Sher

So, PLEASE make sure that you NEVER use day 3 aCGH for GS purposes.
    I have been saying this for some time as well. That is why the aCGH programs have been pushing day 5 biopsy so much. Sher is the first to come out and actually admit that the technology is not good for day 3. GSN with day 3 is equivalent to aCGH on day 5 in terms of accuracy but gives more information.
    Daniel A. Potter, MD
    Medical Director, HRC Fertility Newport Beach, California
    Laboratory Director, Natera (formerly Gene Security Network)
    http://www.amazon.com/What-When-You-...keywords=hanin
    http://www.danielapottermd.com
    @ivfgenderselect

3. Dislikes jack3 disliked this post
    IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Potter View Post
    I have been saying this for some time as well. That is why the aCGH programs have been pushing day 5 biopsy so much. Sher is the first to come out and actually admit that the technology is not good for day 3. GSN with day 3 is equivalent to aCGH on day 5 in terms of accuracy but gives more information.
    I'm glad you saw this and posted. So, how is day 3 GSN testing different from day 3 aCGH testing in terms we can understand?
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

Become a Dream Member to access the private forums

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    How do you feel about testing for FSH on 3day for just PGD?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    FISH is very accurate for gender but as said above does not give you any information about whether the embryo is good or not. It therefore does not help with embryo selection and does not not improve pregnancy rates as 24 chromosome (both aCGH and Natera) testing does. Only Natera (GSN) is able to take the small amount of DNA in a single cell (day 3) and accurately determine the presence of all chromosomes. This is because of the proprietary technology that uses the parental haplotypes to analyze the data from the amplification of DNA from a single cell. aCGH has a difficult time with the small chromosomes (one of which is the Y chromosome another is 21) and so is not great on day three. This issue is mitigated with a day five sample that has multiple cells and therefore more DNA. Natera is the only technology, day 3 or day 5, that is able to detect uniparental disomy (eg Prader-Willi and other 'imprinting' disorders), triploidy (69 chromosomes), deletion/duplication errors and determine whether a bad embryo is from bad sperm or bad eggs. That is why (along with the average implantation rate of 72% with a single embryo) I feel Natera is the way to go.
    Daniel A. Potter, MD
    Medical Director, HRC Fertility Newport Beach, California
    Laboratory Director, Natera (formerly Gene Security Network)
    http://www.amazon.com/What-When-You-...keywords=hanin
    http://www.danielapottermd.com
    @ivfgenderselect

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Dr. Potter, do you believe it is significantly better to do Natera day 3 vs. day 5? Why would you choose one over the other? Thanks!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Dr Potter,

I read somewhere that you are not using Natera anymore and had to switch with aCGH on day 5.
    Could you please tell me if, regarding you, aCGH day 5 is totally accurate for gender selection?

Thanks in advance.
    Petitepuce
    Already have a marvelous and I cycled mid November 2013 to conceive our HT

7 eggs retrieved, 6 mature, 6 fertilized, 5 HB sent for CGH test, 5 healthy HB!!! 3 xx !

We transferred the first one on January the 9th and I was pregnant, BUT I had to let go my little girl on March the 19th at 12 weeks because she had to many malformations (nothing to do with chromosomes)...

After two cancelled FET because of too thin lining, we found out that I have synechias because of abortion. Will have to undergo a surgery beginning of September (hysteroscopy and laparoscopy) to sort out my problems. Hope to have a natural FET end of 2014/ very beginning of 2015 and finally have my DD!!!

Dear G'd, please makes my remaining xx become my so dear girl

So remember: forget about the number of eggs. Only the quality matters at the end!!!

"You are the master of your own destiny", I am trying to stick on this though and hope I am right!