Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freezing eggs

Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Freezing eggs

I just had my DS3 two months ago and I actually know we are done having kids as I'm 37 and wouldn't want a super short age gap and DH doesn't want a number 4 anyways. But I can't shake off the thought, what if I regret it one day? So maybe one solution would be freezing some eggs to have the opportunity to go HT, if we change our mind in 4 or 5 years. Could anyone give me a rough estimate what would be the costs if I went to a clinic with good success rates like HRC to freeze some eggs? Due to my age I would probably need at least two rounds to have enough "good" eggs to have a reasonable chance to get some healthy preferably xx embryos later? I will continue breastfeeding for a while so it's more realistic that I go for egg collection at age 38.

Thank you for any advice :-)

6c8b58 Ovulation charts on FertilityFriend.com

08/2014 04/2016

Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Can anyone help with a rough estimate?

08/2014 04/2016 12/2018

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Just based on the research I'vedone, it usually runs about $15k-16k for one cycle at HRC, not including meds. I believe this price also includes PGD so if you're not doing that part of it and just doing egg collection/freezing, it would be less. I don't know what HRC charges for pgd alone but for most clinics it's typically between $3k-5k. There's usually a storage fee as well. Hope that helps!
    '12
    '14
    '15 '15 '16
    🌈 '17 (LE sway opposite)

Dreaming of pink through HT or adoption
    FET January 2021: 1 HBAA XX - BFN
    FET #2 August 2022: 1 HBAA XX - BFP!

4. Thanks atomic sagebrush, Verena thanked for this post
    Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ksmom View Post
    Just based on the research I'vedone, it usually runs about $15k-16k for one cycle at HRC, not including meds. I believe this price also includes PGD so if you're not doing that part of it and just doing egg collection/freezing, it would be less. I don't know what HRC charges for pgd alone but for most clinics it's typically between $3k-5k. There's usually a storage fee as well. Hope that helps!
    Thank you ksmom! So it would be >$10k only for freezing my eggs... Difficult decission!

08/2014 04/2016 12/2018

6. Likes ksmom liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If you go to a clinic like CNY, it's a lot less. It's about $4k and that includes egg retrieval, ICSI, PGD, one transfer, and embryo storage. It's $350/yr after a year to continue storing the embies. The total cost doesn't include meds though. I know HRC is one of the best clinics out there but just something to consider.
    '12
    '14
    '15 '15 '16
    🌈 '17 (LE sway opposite)

Dreaming of pink through HT or adoption
    FET January 2021: 1 HBAA XX - BFN
    FET #2 August 2022: 1 HBAA XX - BFP!

8. Thanks Verena thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Verena View Post
    Thank you ksmom! So it would be >$10k only for freezing my eggs... Difficult decission!

08/2014 04/2016 12/2018
    I would assume HRC would be somewhere in the $10K range for freezing eggs. And the thing with freezing eggs and not tested embryos is that you don't know if those eggs are chromosomally normal until you attempt fertilization and testing. I think if I was in your situation, I would freeze embryos vs. eggs because at least you could have them tested in advance and know exactly what you have in storage. You might go through everything, have 10 eggs frozen (just randomly throwing out a number), but when you go to use them years from now you might end up with no normal XX and be back to square one despite spending $$$ for years worth of storage. It's a huge amount of money if you think you are done having kids. But I completely understand wanting to cover your bases just in case.

My last bill from HRC for a years worth of storage was $650 or $700, I can't remember. It seems like it's gone up $50/year lately.
    (2010) (2013 LE sway opposite) HT (HRC 2018)

Cycle 1 HRC Nov 2015: 9 retrieved, 6 mature, 5 fertilized, 4 biopsied, 2 normal XY = NT
    Cycle 2 HRC Mar 2016: 13 retrieved, 12 mature, 11 fertilized, 9 biopsied, 6 normal = 5 XX, 1 XY!
    FET #1 Aug 2016: Chemical
    FET #2 Nov 2016 Immune protocol: BFP! HB at 7 and 10 weeks. No HB at 12 weeks Miscarriage.
    FET #3 Aug 2017 Immune protocol: BFP!
    arrived May 2018

10. Thanks Verena thanked for this post
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    As Nicoler recommended I would freeze embryos rather than eggs. Nicoler knows more about the topic but I read somewhere that embyos are also stronger so it is more likely they would survive thawing.
    My kids (2012) (2014) (2015) HT (2017) and HT (2019)

Cycle #1 Genesis Nov/Dec 2016: 5 retrieved, 3 fertilized, 2 tested, 1 abnormal XX, 1 normal XX HBAA transferred BN
    Cycle #2 Genesis Feb/Mar 2017: 9 retrieved, 7 fertilized, 2 tested, 2 normal XX.
    FET #1 8/April/2017: HT DD1 Born 25/Dec/17
    FET #2 15/Feb/2019: HT DD2 Born 25/Oct/19

12. Thanks Verena thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Pepper is right, embryos are a bit tougher than eggs are and historically survived a freeze and thaw better than eggs did. Freezing technology has gotten a lot better in recent years though and they now have nearly the same survival rates.

14. Thanks Verena thanked for this post
    Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ksmom View Post
    If you go to a clinic like CNY, it's a lot less. It's about $4k and that includes egg retrieval, ICSI, PGD, one transfer, and embryo storage. It's $350/yr after a year to continue storing the embies. The total cost doesn't include meds though. I know HRC is one of the best clinics out there but just something to consider.
    Wow, that's a difference we have to travel from Germany, so my thought was to choose the clinic with best success rates to not have to travel that often. But in that case it would be cheaper to travel three times to CNY than one time to HRC... Do you know where CNY is located? I think I read that you are thinking about going HT as well. Have you already made a decission? I find it so hard but I think I wouldn't sway again since I'm at the point where I would only want a fourth child if it was a girl. And I feel horrible to say so :-(

08/2014 04/2016 12/2018

Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you nicoler and pepper! Definitely something to consider! The problem is my DH who would have to make his contribution if we wanted to freeze embryos ;-) he is not quite there yet to agree to a fourth child and freezing my eggs would give me some more years to persuade him... But if he agrees in 3 or 4 years and then we end up with no (xx) embryo to teansfer, that would be a catastrophy as well... Ugggh.

08/2014 04/2016 12/2018

17. Thanks Filzma thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast