Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

40 years... hoping for PGD

Hello, I have been lurking on this site and a member of in-gender for years! I have had many failed girl sways since 2004, but in 2016 I gave birth to my beautiful daughter. My family was complete and I was so over the top to spoil a little girl finally! Sadly, she passed away five months later. Ten months after her passing I gave birth to my 5th son. I am now 40 years old and have been unsuccessfully trying for about a year to (hopefully) have another girl. My insurance covers IVF for infertility, but it doesn't cover every aspect equally (example: meds have their own deductible). Before losing my daughter I had 4 miscarriages. My last was a genetically normal female.

Does anyone with insurance get PGD coverage because of miscarriage history? I'm hoping that it will be covered and then (God willing) I will have a decent quality female embryo to implant.

Also, if you were able to get infertility coverage for IVF, were you upfront about your desired sex? I'm afraid given my age that only male embryos will make it to testing and then I'm not sure what I can do if I end up with only healthy male embryos. Would being upfront make the clinic/ insurance reject me? It has been a year and given my miscarriage history PGD just sounds smart.

Finally, has anyone over the age of 39 gotten their desired sex with PGD testing?

I go in for my first consult/ultrasound next Tuesday!

Thank you all!
    Last edited by CodeViolet; May 29th, 2019 at 09:38 PM.

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, you can use insurance for IVF. If you doctor is wiling to submit your info to insurance, you can get the IVF covered but the PGD will be out of pocket. All of my meds were covered by insurance. Again, if the doctor calls in the script to your insurance, they do not question an infertility diagnosis nor ask for proof and YES I would be upfront about wanting a girl especially given your history. NOBODY will question why. I am so sorry for your loss.
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

Become a Dream Member to access the private forums

Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you!

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi and welcome - and I am so terribly sorry to hear of your loss. I agree with nuthin that here in the US no one will question your desire for a girl. People understand stuff like that and are very supportive at the clinics in our experience.

Everyone's insurance is different but yes in most cases the IVF would be covered after having had that many losses. The clinics are quite good at getting your money's worth from the insurers and limiting the amount you have to pay.

Yes, while IVF/PGD over 40 is an uphill battle it can be done and we are all hoping and praying it works for you. Please let us know how else we can help!
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by atomic sagebrush View Post
    Hi and welcome - and I am so terribly sorry to hear of your loss. I agree with nuthin that here in the US no one will question your desire for a girl. People understand stuff like that and are very supportive at the clinics in our experience.

Everyone's insurance is different but yes in most cases the IVF would be covered after having had that many losses. The clinics are quite good at getting your money's worth from the insurers and limiting the amount you have to pay.

Yes, while IVF/PGD over 40 is an uphill battle it can be done and we are all hoping and praying it works for you. Please let us know how else we can help!
    Thank you! I will!

6. Thanks polaris.kai thanked for this post
    Likes atomic sagebrush liked this post
    Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I see this has a lot of views so I'll give a mini update. I had my consult and initial testing already. Low AMH (1.3) but overall healthy. I'm going to start in July and hopefully transfer in August (assuming I am able to get a female embryo that is genetically normal). I've always been in great health (hence the 5 boys!), but being healthy and the age of eggs are two different issues. A 40 year old cannot make her eggs be the quality of a 30 year old's even with supplements. I am so glad for this web page. Hopefully in a few months I can report back with a successful transfer. My doctor told me the clinic was a judge free zone so I hope this gives courage to other mothers/ fathers that are hoping to complete their families. I'm blessed with my boys, but I so glad to have the opportunity to have a rainbow (technically pot of gold) daughter!

8. Thanks atomic sagebrush thanked for this post
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you for updating! Good luck and pink dust!!!

Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Doing another update. I've completed my first round. I had really promising stats going into it. My AFC (counts how many follicles show up on cd 3 via ultrasound) was 27. I do not have PCOS. My body appeared to take well to the stimulation medications and by the time of retrieval I had about 10+ mature follicles with some close to being mature. I had followed the suggestions for eqq quality in the book It Starts With the Egg. Unfortunately I ended up with only 3 eggs that were fertilized. On day 5 when the embryos would typically be biopsied they were too poor quality/ not ready. Day 6 update was that all three were too poor quality to even freeze. This isn't the update that I wanted to share, but I think it may be important for some to read that are on the fence. As you can see below, I have a lot of children. Miscarriage has been an issue, but obviously I can get pregnant. Zero embryos and my doctor say it's because of my age- 40. A lot can change in a short span of years. If you're 35+ and considering PGS but aren't quite ready, at least get your AMH and FSH checked to make sure you're in a good place. It won't guarantee you time, but it may give you an idea of if you have less time than expected. I'm going to try a new round this fall. I'll update again and hopefully will have better news this time!

11. Likes atomic sagebrush liked this post
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you so much for updating us. Many times people don't hear the stories where things do not go as people hoped.

I want to reiterate the message here - if you are 35, time is not on your side for IVF and best to go in sooner rather than later. It can still happen at 40+ but it's an uphill battle.

and sending positive thoughts your way.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sending you all my pink dust,good luck!
    Lucky Mummy to 4 sweet divas
    (2013) (2015) (2018) (2021)
    (July 2014) (November 2023)
    Our sway didn’t work for #3 & we had a little oops for #4 but we love them all to bits... not sure if we ever will but somehow hoping we might add blue to the crew, to complete our family, one day...

Fingers crossed for TTC #5 (again) for early 2024!

14. Likes atomic sagebrush liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast