Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Male Supplements

I know that this is a re-post but I was asked to do so so here it is:

I have been getting a lot of questions about male fertility supplements and whether or not they work or are worthwhile.

Although there are many different formulations currently on the market, the key ingredient common to most of these is some form of L-carnitine. Many studies have been published to demonstrate acetyl-L-carnitine improves sperm motility, some show an increase in count and volume as well(1)(2)(3)(4). Researchers at the University of Rome led by Dr. Andrea Lenzi demonstrated in a placebo controlled, double-blinded study that L-carnitine/acetyl-L-carnitine was effective in improving sperm motility.(5) In this study, men who took L-carnitine and acetyl l-carnitine had increases in sperm concentration, forward movement, and total movement. The authors concluded that “combined treatment with L-carnitine and acetyl l-carnitine... was effective in increasing sperm motility, especially in groups with lower baseline levels (of moving sperm)”. Metabolism studies imply that acetyl-L-carnitine (also referred to as ALCAR) is better absorbed than L-carnitine or L-carnitine fumarate and so is potentially up to 17x more effective by weight. The exact mechanism if L-carnitine’s effect is not know with certainty. There is speculation the motility effect is due to improved mitochondrial function. The mitchondria are the energy generating organelles in cells. There is also some evidence that L-carnitine improves signal transduction at the testosterone receptor.

An additional study demonstrates that zinc and folic acid improve sperm motility and count in both fertile and infertile men.(6) Zinc’s role in sperm production and testosterone activity has been well described.(7)

Several studies also point to an important role for antioxidants such as vitamins E and C as well as some B vitamins in normal sperm production, function and genetic integrity.(8)(9)

So, I say why not take a good male supplement in preparation for IVF/ICSI/PGD. Ideally it should be started 80-90 days and can be taken for up to 6 months prior to treatment. Shorter courses may also be beneficial.

Here is a link to a page that compares some of the popular formulations:

http://www.naturallysmartvitamins.com/men_compare.php

We typically recommend Naturally Smart for Men because it has more of the active ingredients than the others and is half as expensive as the next best (Proxeed). Naturally Smart comes in a capsule form whereas Proxeed is a powder that is mixed with juice and does not taste great. The key is the amount of acetyl-L-carnitine as it has 17x greater bioavailability than L-carnitine fumerate.

Links about L-carnitine:

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocente...uts/carnitine/

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/c...e-l-000291.htm

References:

1. Fertility and Sterility. 2005 83:355-361.

2. Andrology. 2004 Sep-Oct;25(5):761-70.

3. Drugs Under Experimental Clinical Research. 1995;21(4):157-9.

4. Andrologia 1994 May;26(3):155-9.

5. Fertility and Sterility. 2004 June; 81:1578-84.

6. Fertility and Sterility. 2002 March;77:491-8.

7. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science U S A. 2009 Jun 30;106(26):10859-64.

8. Human Reproduction. 2008 May;23(5):1014-22.

9. Journal of Andrology. 2005 Jul-Aug;26(4):550-6.
    Daniel A. Potter, MD
    Medical Director, HRC Fertility Newport Beach, California
    Laboratory Director, Natera (formerly Gene Security Network)
    http://www.amazon.com/What-When-You-...keywords=hanin
    http://www.danielapottermd.com
    @ivfgenderselect

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Great post, Dr P. Thank you!
    One perfect
    One perfect Thank you Dr P, Lori and Microsort!

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Great info! Thank you!
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

Become a Dream Member to access the private forums

Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi Dr. Potter,

My husband took Naturally Smart as you recommended for our 1st cycle (did wonders for his motility!). He wants to take it again but is dreading the "thick" capsules because they don't digest easily for him. Can he pour out the vitamins (3 capsules at a time) and mix it in water or juice as an option? Thanks!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    This is a great question, xmasheart. I wonder if you might post this in the "Ask the Doctor" section so that Dr P may find it easily?
    One perfect
    One perfect Thank you Dr P, Lori and Microsort!

Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillylolly View Post
    This is a great question, xmasheart. I wonder if you might post this in the "Ask the Doctor" section so that Dr P may find it easily?
    I will, Lilly. Thanks for the suggestion :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by xmasheart View Post
    Hi Dr. Potter,

My husband took Naturally Smart as you recommended for our 1st cycle (did wonders for his motility!). He wants to take it again but is dreading the "thick" capsules because they don't digest easily for him. Can he pour out the vitamins (3 capsules at a time) and mix it in water or juice as an option? Thanks!
    You can open the capsules and pour them in juice if that is what he prefers. It will work fine
    Daniel A. Potter, MD
    Medical Director, HRC Fertility Newport Beach, California
    Laboratory Director, Natera (formerly Gene Security Network)
    http://www.amazon.com/What-When-You-...keywords=hanin
    http://www.danielapottermd.com
    @ivfgenderselect

Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    thanks for the info