Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

How much does pretesting usually cost?

We would probably be paying for everything out of pocket. I'm wondering what the cost usually is for the pretesting? Also, I just read a post (can't remember who posted) that they have fertility coverage, but not for fertility issues. How would that type of thing work? Also, are some of the pretests things that would be covered by regular insurance?

Cycle #1: HRC- 30 retrieved, 18 fertilized, 8 biopsied. 4 normals, no girls.
    Cycle #2: HRC- 17 retrieved, 14 mature & fertilized. 9 biopsied. 4 normals, 2 girls!
    1xx HEB aa transferred: BFN
    FET #1: 1xx- HEB bb transferred. BFP 6dpt! Beta 13dp6dt 1015!

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I did not have infertility coverage but my OB did my pretesting and it was all covered that way. Thru diagnostic coverage.
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

Become a Dream Member to access the private forums

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Cool. I'm going to have to check into my coverage.

Cycle #1: HRC- 30 retrieved, 18 fertilized, 8 biopsied. 4 normals, no girls.
    Cycle #2: HRC- 17 retrieved, 14 mature & fertilized. 9 biopsied. 4 normals, 2 girls!
    1xx HEB aa transferred: BFN
    FET #1: 1xx- HEB bb transferred. BFP 6dpt! Beta 13dp6dt 1015!

Dream Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    We began our pretesting with my RE and all of it cost $600 or more. Between the blood work and HSG and ultrasounds, plus all of the office visits and gas, it would probably be closer to $1,000.

Some of it was covered under regular insurance and did not fall into the "fertility" part.
    Last edited by MintJulep; April 22nd, 2012 at 10:33 PM.

Dream Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I guess I should also add that I did have infertility coverage. The rates we paid were the reasonable and customary or contracted rates through our insurance. If we didn't have insurance, it would have been well over $1,000, probably $2,000.

Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Expect to pay apx $1500 for pretesting for cash pricing, however even if you do not have IVF coverage, your insurance may still pick up diagnostic pretesting.

My copays for bloodwork for hubby and myself were apx $400 after deductibles were factored in, and my AFC sono was $645 cash pricing.

Good luck!
    DD (12) DD(9)DD(8 twins)DD(5)

CYCLE#1 JUNE 2012 @ HRC Dr Potter. Transferred 2 XY on Father's Day....BFP! First Beta 10dp5dt: 415. Scan 7/19 confirms TWINS. Due February 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Typically most insurance companies will cover pretesting whether you have coverage or not but it is all in the coding. If you go through your OB or an RE they will typically use a diagnostic ICD-9 code. Just check with your insurance and ask if the diagnostic testing for infertility is covered or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sometimes the best thing you can do is not think, not wonder, not imagine, not obsess. Just breathe, and have faith that everything will work out for the best.
    ^^^That is exactly what I did and everything has FINALLY worked out for the best. I couldn't be more happier in my life than I am right now with these 2 blessings that were brought into my life.

Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    We spent about $1100 for pretesting

Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That was in Nigeria though

Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Does anyone know if REs will typically even bill insurance for pretesting or other procedures given the fact that it would be part of *elective* IVF (as opposed to true IF/medical necessity)? I'm just trying to figure out how much, if any, we could get insurance to pay for since we have pretty good coverage right now.